Full Packer in the 14.5 with Kraftwrap

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Well.... it was a small one: choice 10.7 lb. from Smart & Final. After trimming, it ended up about 8.5 lbs. So I figure... give it a shot with the stacked 14.5.

PICT0675_zpsrqlgieqn.jpg

Rubbed with Big Bad Beef Rub & injected with beef broth. Filled the charcoal ring with KBB & used 10 briquettes for a Minion Method start. Used 3 chunks of Mesquite for smoke. No water pan. Cooked at 270* with a variation of 10* both ways for most of the cook. Meat was put on at 5:00 am.

PICT0679_zpstbckth7j.jpg

PICT0680_zpsbzgxvrd9.jpg

I spritzed it 9:00 am & 10:15 am with a 50/50 mix of Worchestershire Sauce & Bourbon. The temp was 161*. It had hit the stall around 8:00 am & I let it hang there because we didn't want to eat dinner at 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Got concerned at 10:15 that the brisket would dry out so I removed it, wrapped it, removed the stacker & put it on the top rack of the 14.5. It was looking good:

PICT0685_zpsnsx4ggme.jpg

PICT0689_zps91kutqgz.jpg

PICT0692_zpsgmrm7onb.jpg

Removed it at 12:30 pm, unwrapped it, & put it back on the 14.5. Temp was 189*

PICT0695_zpsiwesvepc.jpg

Probed it at 1:00 pm. It was at 196* to 203* & tender except for the "lower" end of the flat which was not tender and had a temp of 213*.
So I pulled it, wrapped it in foil & blankets & put it in the cooler for 2 hours. At 3:00 pm it was Time to Eat!!!

PICT0697_zps5jze4o0r.jpg

Turned out to be one of the best briskets I have ever cooked: great flavor, moist, tender & you could cut it with a fork. Served with some Texas Mop Sauce, mashed potatoes & green beans.

PICT0700_zpsdqg4mr68.jpg

What would I do different? Next time use the 18.5 with the CB stacker & a hanging rack. It was a tight fit getting the brisket on the top rack. I would not use the Kraftwrap again. It only cost $1.59, however it's not 40 lb paper & ripped easily. I only cook 2 to 3 briskets a year & really don't want to buy a lifetime's supply of pink butcher paper, so I'll have to find a small quantity for not much $$$ or a work around - maybe a paper grocery bag. Next time, I think I'll cook in the 280* range.

I froze the point. The rest of the flat, we'll gnaw on for the next few days. When we get down to the part that probed hard & registered 213*, will see what it's like. I can always make machaca or some enchiladas with it, so I'm sure it won't be wasted.

Last edited:
Hi Robert - looks great, it's fun to experiment, always seem to learn something. In our butcher shop we carry a brown paper bag (doubled) its called a 40/40 duplex paper bag - wonder if that might work for wrapping?
Anyways, looks great, plated shot looks very nice!!

Robert R;
I AM impressed! That's a large brisket for the 14.5 and it looks like you did a FINE job!

Good photos, too!

Thanks for sharing this experience.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Robert great reportage! I appreciate your pic at different moments of the cook. Brisket looks great from here.
Maybe You won't mind to share the receipe of Texas Mop Sauce!
Looks delicious!

That's a beauty Robert! Love the bark, love the smoke ring and it looks mighty juicy

I have a 14.5 and am looking to do something like this... may i ask where you got your hanging rack?... If I could do a whole packer in the 14.5 I would not need a bigger grill... this one does it all for my needs... I cut my Briskets right now...

Thanks for the info, and the Brisket looks great...

Your "50/50 mix of Worchestershire Sauce & Bourbon" sounds interesting. I assume it was a cheap bourbon. Do you think you tasted this mix in the final product?

jz

John, words of wisdom from a friend of long standing.....
"Never cook with something you would not drink!"
Just sayin'.
Interesting that this thread is over a year old! I find these "post mortem" threads all the time!
Good jump start!

I have a 14.5 and am looking to do something like this... may i ask where you got your hanging rack?... If I could do a whole packer in the 14.5 I would not need a bigger grill... this one does it all for my needs... I cut my Briskets right now...

Thanks for the info, and the Brisket looks great...

LOL... just noticed this. fwiw - the hanging rack is home made & the 14.5 was stacked (see pix on post #1) to accommodate for the length of the brisket. The brisket shrinks enough by the time it stalls so it can be wrapped & put on the top grate. Also note that it was a small brisket. The stacker was also home made. The brisket was a small one.

Pic of the stacked 14.5 next to an 18.5:

PICT0499_zps3ea49c54.jpg

This is another way to cook a brisket in the 14.5: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?64815-First-Brisket-on-the-14-5!&highlight=brisket+14.5

Last edited:

Back