Rotisserie turkey or don't sweat the technique

Dave from Denver

TVWBB Wizard
I made a 15 lb bird for a client's holiday party. Used LarryR's maple bourbon brine for 24 hours as usual.

H2SLlrA.png

Got the silver C set up at 8am and I left to take my son to school. Got home at 8:30 to start a ham on my mini (sorry not pictured). The genesis was 300 degrees with only the front burner on.

Now I KNOW that one burner will run this at 350. But I didn't trust it needing to serve at noon, and I turned the rear burner to low and the front burner to med. Tossed a cherry stick on the front flavorizer bar

I went to work and returned home at 11:15 to find the grill at 430F and

mUdgrTM.png

holy crap Ok ok don't panic you can get rotisserie chickens at costco if you need to.

Well, wait, the thighs temp at 175 and breast 170. So let's see what's under all that
lNHMCaU.png

Stirred some stock I had on hand for gravy on the pulled breast.

Rave reviews! The dark meat is perfect. I need to do this again ASAP! Maybe at 375 though, and maybe I'll stay at home!

Thanks for looking

nice recovery Dave. I was once told that the difference between a master and an apprentice is that the master knows how to handle the problems.

You scared me with that one pic, but dang did you come through! Nice recovery!

Looks like you got a great "bark" on that turkey, seriously that was a good way to recover from the surprise when you checked the grill!

I once did a beer can chicken on a pan (not mine) that had a bunch of holes in it; my chicky turned out similar to yours, except it was on fire! My lesson learned: pick that black stuff off and your good to go, and don't use unfamiliar equipment!

Nice save! Did you use sugar in the brine? That will darken things up. When i do whole chickens on the rotisserie i run about 350°on my performer. Takes about 1.5hrs

Thanks everyone for the compliments. S.Six, I used a cup of grade A maple syrup, cup of evan williams, cup of salt and some pickling spice in 3 gal of brine.

Outstanding lessons learned. Don't trust gas ;) ....and Dont give up. Don't ever give up.

That looks really good!

Back