Yay or nay???

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Okay everyone, here's the situation. I'm about to go to my mom's house and investigate what's going on with her members Mark propane grill. She wants to know if she should fix it or replace it. She also had an electric smoker that died. So here's the dilemma. She still wants another smoker and preferred the ease of use from the electric. She may also be in the market for a new propane grill if I decide hers is not worth fixing. And I know the smoke fire is able to do high heat searing. But the big question is could it actually replace a propane grill? If grilling was its primary function and smoking secondary would it be worth it. My thought was instead of buying another dedicated smoker and a dedicated grill I might talk her into the smoke fire pellet grill. My biggest concern however is that as a dedicated grill a pellet smoker may not make sense.

So lay it on me. Can they smoke fire replace a smoker and a grill as an all-in-one?

And of course there are the issues of reliability. I'm familiar with them and still concerned that Weber over promised and under delivered but I think it may be a great alternative for my mom.

Give me your thoughts.

My EX6 is my only outdoor cooker. It replaced 2 WSMs, a Performer, and a pellet grill. Weber over promised and under delivered. They have fixed most of the mechanical shortcomings but the software is still buggy. If she goes that way then plan on assembling it for her. BILT app. Retailers are notorious for assembling the fire pot incorrectly and that immediately causees temp control problems. Some get it right but not many. If your Mom enjoys learning new stuff and learns how to operate it properly then it could be a fit. Now that people have been operating this for over a year the heavy users are starting to see metal erosion in their flame arrester and the pellet slide that feeds the fire pot. Mine is holding up but I'm not a heavy user. Fortunately, Weber honors their guarantee.

Last edited:
Jason and I don't own a Smokefire and no offense to anyone who does. I have read every thread on SmokeFires do you really want to buy this for your mother with the issues they have as Lew pointed out now heavy users have with metal erosiion really does not make any sense to me to buy this unless you do not like your mother which again I am sure you do. :) I don't care about their warranty yes they will replace those parts but this thing has not been around that long what happens 4 years from now when the warranty is gone nobody knows and the problems are showing up more and more as the time goes on.

There are dedicated users here like Lew they are willing to put up with this thing, is your mother willing to put up with it? My guess is you will spend your time helping your mother whether its the app or whatever. I have said this many times and certainly people can disagree, there is no all in one pellet grill Weber tried give them credit but the exucition just did not work. Plenty of pellet grills that will satisfy her needs for less money hard to replace the gasser for the convenience at least in my house the gasser will not go away.

Personally, I like having more than one outdoor cooker, and a gas grill hits it for convenience.

Perhaps consider one of the many Weber gas grills on the used market, and then shop for a pellet smoker that fits her needs.

Where in CA do you live? In the greater Sacramento area and east into the foothills there is no shortage of Silver B's, and a few earlier models regularly. The newer versions tend to be a bit harder to find good deals on, but they are there too.

For example, there is (what appears to be a 13 bar) Green lid Platinum for $50 in Colfax CA. It calls out to me daily whispering "buy me" :D

As far as pellet smoker/grills, I suggest joining the forum(s) of the brand(s) you are considering and see what others are saying.

For example, my two year old PB pro 820 is rusting (again) and it seems to be common. That said, I'm lucky to have a non-problematic controller which seems to be an issue in the slightly newer version. The accuracy of the temps on it suck but the timed smoke settings are perfect for what I use it for. My point in this last comment is not that my pellet sucks, its actually not bad, but all of the brands and models have issues, and some are worse than others.

not mine, no relation to me, but I'm tempted...

I swapped my 18 WSM for my Camp Chef pellet grill and I have no regrets. I also have a E320 NG which is our daily driver when the charcoal ban is on. I also have a performer for when we can use charcoal. For ease of use the gas grill is the easiest for smoking the pellet grill gets the call, although it has the slide and sear feature which I used once with a ribeye and it worked well but that's not it's main purpose.
I've always been skeptical of one grill can do it all.
Also not knowing how old your mom is does she want to be hauling around 20-30lb bags of pellets.

I swapped my 18 WSM for my Camp Chef pellet grill and I have no regrets. I also have a E320 NG which is our daily driver when the charcoal ban is on. I also have a performer for when we can use charcoal. For ease of use the gas grill is the easiest for smoking the pellet grill gets the call, although it has the slide and sear feature which I used once with a ribeye and it worked well but that's not it's main purpose.
I've always been skeptical of one grill can do it all.
Also not knowing how old your mom is does she want to be hauling around 20-30lb bags of pellets.
Rich brought up one subject, Mom's age, that needs consideration. We don't know your Mom and certainly don't want to be condescending. If it was my wife I would give her what she''s accustomed to. I would go with another electric smoker and a gas grill. That is so much simpler than a Smokefire. Now, if you want a Smokefire to play with that's a different story.

Jason and I don't own a Smokefire and no offense to anyone who does. I have read every thread on SmokeFires do you really want to buy this for your mother with the issues they have as Lew pointed out now heavy users have with metal erosiion really does not make any sense to me to buy this unless you do not like your mother which again I am sure you do. :) I don't care about their warranty yes they will replace those parts but this thing has not been around that long what happens 4 years from now when the warranty is gone nobody knows and the problems are showing up more and more as the time goes on.

There are dedicated users here like Lew they are willing to put up with this thing, is your mother willing to put up with it? My guess is you will spend your time helping your mother whether its the app or whatever. I have said this many times and certainly people can disagree, there is no all in one pellet grill Weber tried give them credit but the exucition just did not work. Plenty of pellet grills that will satisfy her needs for less money hard to replace the gasser for the convenience at least in my house the gasser will not go away.
Well there wasn't an all in one pellet grill but I think this is about as close as you will get.

So lay it on me. Can they smoke fire replace a smoker and a grill as an all-in-one? And of course there are the issues of reliability. I'm familiar with them and still concerned that Weber over promised and under delivered but I think it may be a great alternative for my mom. Give me your thoughts.
One of the main reasons I bought a Pellet Grill (ultimately a SmokeFire) is because I'll never own a propane grill again. Apparently the regulators in gassers is the weak link and mine made a fireball like I've never seen before and I worked in a refinery as a kid. I don't see the SmokeFire replacing my kettle nor my WSM, but I do see the SmokeFire getting 60% maybe 70% of my cooks. People talk smack about the SmokeFire, I don't know if that's just something to do or carryover from when it was first released. I've got the Gen2, and I'm nothing but happy with it. I do wish there was a way to easily cook directly over flame such as in the case of the Memphis Pellet Grill, however the SmokeFire is $1K the Memphis is nearly $4K

When I retire and move to Tennessee I plan to get a Memphis, and I'll leave all my grills including the SmokeFire to my son who'll likely stay in kalifornia, at least for the time being. For me, the SmokeFire has been everything I hoped for

Chuck,
That's some very helpful and balanced words from someone who is actually using a SmokeFire. I am still kind of on the fence. One minute I want in but then another I here about stuff like excessive corrosion in less than two years. I think the launch was terrible. (I am sure Weber's management knows that by now :oops: .) The software sounds like it is getting better but probably needs some further work. I think they will get that ultimately fixed. I don't expect a $799 (on sale) EX-4 to last a lifetime, but rusting in critical places after a year and a half doesn't sound good.

But then, I go back to the awesome looking cook results people have posted here...Just not sure what to make of it all.:unsure:

Addressing some of the comments so far. Mom's house is where most family gatherings happen. She doesn't do the cooking outside. That usually falls on me or my sister. Her husband is able to move around the pellet bags without issue. She did like her electric smoker for ease of use and she did use that but that's the only outdoor cooking she really does anymore. When her electric smoker died she asked me to start looking into new ones. Her propane grill is beginning to die and is not worth fixing but still works.

My concerns now are the early corrosion issues that I didn't realize were becoming an issue. And has Weber finally worked out most of the bugs from the app. I've told her it's basically like an oven. You turn it on since the temperature to what you want and cook your food. As for ease of use as long as the app works decently that should not be an issue for her. However it is disappointing to hear that corrosion issues are becoming a cooker that has been out for less than 2 years. Especially a very expensive one that Weber put their name on. That is sad and disappointing.

However I'm still not sure there's a cooker that for the money can do what the smoke fire can do and that is still leading me to it.

I think there are plenty of options in that price range and many that offer much less questions. It's not like the Smokefire is heads and shoulders above all others if even as good as many others. What is your max price range? To me the Smokefire is at a place like Yoder was years ago.

Chad,
That is certainly true from a high up view. I guess I am still intrigued by how the SmokeFire used flavorizer bars in place if a large shield bringing more smoke - and heat - to your cook. A lot of people using them here testify that the SmokeFire IS in a different class when it comes to imparting smoke taste.

However, the temperamental nature it seems to have, the software issues that may still linger, and now problems with corrosion- already - are drawbacks that can’t be ignored. I think I still want one, but…

I also really wanted a SmokeFire, but due to all the issues I went with a Camp Chef and don't regret it a bit. But can the Camp Chef create the same food as the SmokeFire, probably not. But at half the price and not caring about the sear factor It does very well.
No sense buying something that you won't be happy with and the fact you or your sister do all the cooking outside changes the whole perspective.
Wish you the best of luck on your choice.

Chad,
That is certainly true from a high up view. I guess I am still intrigued by how the SmokeFire used flavorizer bars in place if a large shield bringing more smoke - and heat - to your cook. A lot of people using them here testify that the SmokeFire IS in a different class when it comes to imparting smoke taste.

However, the temperamental nature it seems to have, the software issues that may still linger, and now problems with corrosion- already - are drawbacks that can’t be ignored. I think I still want one, but…
So what is your price range? I don't think going by others taste buds is always the best avenue. I'd find people around you that may let you try some bbq from different brands and judge it yourself. Everyone has the best one.

I'm not saying others aren't correct but going through the Yoder issues I also know people did embellish to save face as well. Who want's to admit a expensive mistake some will many more won't. With pellets it's so subjective and everyone is different.

Well the narrative to me is its for your mother. Are you really doing all the cooking and she is never going to use it without you or your sister there. I would think and I could be wrong that lets just say the Camp Chef which does not seem to have these issues members have them here if she does not care about wifi which she does not have on the electric smoker would not something like say a Camp Chef or whatever give her a better smoke than the electric?

Is she paying for this or are you and your sister? If she is paying for it your going to recommend with all the issues the SmokeFire has and now corrosion issues after a few years in good faith? Have to use Weber Pellets although it appears some have found other brands that work ok, babysit the pellet chute, remove the finger guard deal with software issues. No offense I would not call the SmokeFire an oven cause an oven does not have any of these issues.

Can your mother really deal with not having a gasser which is way more convenient for her I suspect and probably something she is going to use way more than a pellet grill. Then maybe look for a cheaper alternative for a pellet grill maybe the Camp Chef for $599 or whatever plenty of stuff out there that will not break the bank.

Like Rich I wish you the best of luck but there are a lot of things to think about when your getting something for your mother.

It's funny how different people get a different message reading the same words. I think you and Jon are at the same point. You both want a Smokefire. If I'm wrong please correct me. I have owned a Rec Tec, a Camp Chef, and a Smokefire. I won't comment on Yoder and others because I have zero experience with them. I have nothing but good things to say about both Rec Tec and Camp Chef brands. My Camp Chef was a 2013 model and I replaced the controller with the Rec Tec wifi controller. Both have found homes with very happy owners and still going strong. Between those the closest to the Smokefire is the Camp Chef with Slide N Sear and the new WIFI controller. I never used the new controller nor slide N sear but owners say the smoke selection feature works good but with more smoke you get bigger temp fluctuations. Rich can speak to that. The Smokefire is the only pellet grill that I've owned that gives good smoke at 400 degrees without wild temp fluctuations. I removed the finger guard from my Camp Chef and waxed the pellet hopper on both of those grills to avoid flameouts. It's a common pellet grill problem and not confined to the Smokefire. As far as grease fires are concerned you can do a Google search on pellet grill fires and the last Youtube mention I found of a Smokefire was Feb. 2020. I found other brands more recently. There's a guy on Youtube with a lot of followers who blasted the Smokefire after it came out. He's back using one and figured out how to operate it properly. I have never said the Smokefire is perfect but it has capabilities that no other pellet grill at this price point has. For me, it's a grill and a smoker, my only outdoor cooker, and it has completed every cook I've started. I use any brand pellets I choose and I'm not a compulsive cleaner. I am a compulsive learner and have done many tests with my Smokefire to understand it. If you and your sister learn it and show your mom the basics it could work. That said, pellet grills are a different animal and they take learning.

Back