Xmas Eve Brisket - 1st Time

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,

I am wanting to smoke a brisket to serve for xmas eve, about 20 people. I have only done a couple of smaller briskets before and also did just the point recently (~6lbs, took about 9 hours @ 250). I have never done a large brisket to be able to serve this amount of people. Is ~1lb per person of raw brisket an good approximation for how much I might need? A 18-20 lb brisket seems huge, would that fit on the 22 WSM? I have smoked them at 250 usually (wrap in butcher paper at 170, then pull at ~205). Is it better to try and get 2 smaller briskets, instead of 1 large one? My local butcher shop said they have packers ranging from 13 to 15 lbs right now and they said that would barely be enough for that many people. I am going to check out Costco tonight to see if they have any other options.

Estimates on timing I have read is about 1 hour per lb at 250, does this seem about right? I am trying to figure out the best way to go for the size and how long this will take to smoke. I usually use a 50/50 mix salt/pepper, but I am going to also try this Meat Church Holy Cow Brisket injection I got. Thanks for any tips.

-Brady

11 hour cook of a smiler sized brisket cooked on a WSK.

Pre trim was around 22# and was 18# on the grate.

I’d say get a 22# and trim very slightly. This one was a Choice and it cooked perfectly. I chose to leave some of the fat on it to protect it from heat.

1670448915478.png

Here’s a link to the entire cook which might have good info in it for you.

I do think a 22# will fit on your WSM 22. Just load the bottom with a full load of coal and light only a few briqs and place them in the center of your coals.

There’s an extensive tutorial on this forum on using the 22 WSM and best way to light and run it. Someone will add that link who knows it better than me.

Brett, That’s a big one, DANG!
Brady, you won’t have any trouble getting a 22# brisket on your smoker, I can get a 20# on my 18” just by “wedging“ it between the handles, no problem. I prefer one large piece to two smaller ones generally it’s fewer variables to work with as each piece of meat it different. One piece is just the way I prefer to work.
Really, my biggest suggestion is to start it earlier than you think. The last monster I did was about 20# and it was a 22 hour cook plus a couple of hours rest, I would have liked another hour at least for the rest time. I don’t wrap, so, that may help you.
As for Rub, I’ve gone back to Texas and use the 50/50 salt and pepper “Dalmatian rub” and let the brisket stand on its own.
So, start early, don’t worry, have appropriate beverages and, enjoy the fruits of your labors!

FWIW, I smoked a brisket for a party last weekend (HUGE amount of food there.) 17+ lbs brisket for about 10 or so people (no kids.) I did not bring any home. I think about 1 lb per person before smoking is a reasonably accurate point to start from. Personally, for that many people, I would plan on smoking 2 packers, to total up to about 38-40 lbs. Then again, I don't have a problem with leftovers.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I ended up getting a prime whole packer brisket from Costco, about 23 lbs, so probably closer to 20 after trimming etc. The last brisket I did at 250, but I might bump it to 275 to maybe slightly cut down some cook time (not much). So I'll have to plan for about 20 hour cook it sounds like, with at least an hour + rest time. Not sure what time we are planning on serving yet, but I'll probably have to get this thing on around 6:00pm the night before? I would rather it finish earlier and I wrap in foil/towels and hold in a cooler until we serve. This is going to be quite the adventure. The longest cook I have done is about 9 hours. I think I am most worried about it finishing in time. If it is dry at all, we are also making a couple sauces if people want those (chimichurri and a creamy peppercorn sauce, not traditional brisket/sauces, but should be good).

I’d start at about four if possible, just build in some extra time for the rest on the back side. If you can get two+ hours, end product will be better. (I like three minimum)

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I ended up getting a prime whole packer brisket from Costco, about 23 lbs, so probably closer to 20 after trimming etc. The last brisket I did at 250, but I might bump it to 275 to maybe slightly cut down some cook time (not much). So I'll have to plan for about 20 hour cook it sounds like, with at least an hour + rest time. Not sure what time we are planning on serving yet, but I'll probably have to get this thing on around 6:00pm the night before? I would rather it finish earlier and I wrap in foil/towels and hold in a cooler until we serve. This is going to be quite the adventure. The longest cook I have done is about 9 hours. I think I am most worried about it finishing in time. If it is dry at all, we are also making a couple sauces if people want those (chimichurri and a creamy peppercorn sauce, not traditional brisket/sauces, but should be good).
after the initial smoke session where you're laying on the smoke flavor and through the stall, i like to wrap at 171/172 which i when the stall is done, you can always remove the brisket, wrap it and go into your oven for 275F to finish temp. probe to the point might be 202-206, depending how the brisket cooks. or you could pull it at 202F int he mid section temp and just let it rest.

my cook chart above had three probes; flat, middle and point. i pulled at around 206F on the point. i'd not take the flat above 202F in the future as it starts to lose moisture from my own personal experience.

you could always go to 300F in the oven to get to your done temp.

i run a WSK so my WSM knowledge is less than it used to be. But WSMs are reliable and stable. Just keep it fed with coal so you keep temps at your target. you got this. it's just a bigger brisket.

AND SINCE YOURS IS PRIME, don't trim too much off. Keep the fat on to protect the brisket. Overtrimming will make the brisket dry as Prime briskets will give up a bunch of fat as it cooks. keeping the cap on will stop the fat from coming out of it.

And/or render your trimmings, fridge them when rendered, then lather up your brisket as you wrap it, basically adding the fat back into the wrapped portion of your cook which will help keep moisture in your brisket.

i'm done. have fun. merry xmas. post pics. i'll be eating chinese food on xmas day as most jews do in the USA.

Last edited:
Ive cooked 19.5 on my 18".
Some of my shortest cooks were biggest briskets....9.5-11 hr.
Go figure.

Cook at 275, allow enough time. 2-6 hrs in cooler is fine.

I ran a 22lbs brisket for 22 hours at 225 on my pellet smoker, while it was really good I only run 225 till it hits the stall then raise temp to 300 on the pellet smoker, would prefer 275 but not a selection on my old style PB. you can hold it for 6 hours in a cooler wrapped in towels without a problem. I always liked a homemade rub 1/4 cup each of pepper coarse salt granulated onion powder paprika and Brownulated brown sugar, any leftover rub keeps well without turning to concrete, the BS is dry so wont set up. good luck post pictures as we all love them lol

Thanks again everyone. I wrapped my brisket once it reached 170 in butcher paper last time I did one . First time trying that and it turned out so good, so I will be doing that again. I appreciate all the help. Seems pretty straightforward, more just about figuring out timing with how long it will take and when we are serving. I'll try to remember to take some pics and post them.

It’s going to be gooooood.

As others said, start early so you have plenty of time to get it done. I‘ve had one stay piping hot after as long as 4 hours wrapped in foil/towel in an ice chest.

Better to have it done early so you can enjoy your company instead of stoking the smoker and fretting about meat temps.

Nothing that I can add to what's been said except to agree about starting early. I once had a 12 lb brisket that took 19 hours. Well wrapped in an ice chest, one stayed above 140* more three hours. Stick a remote thermometer in it while resting to be sure.

I loved Chris' advice above:. "Better to have it done early so you can enjoy your company instead of stoking the smoker and fretting about meat temps."

Like Reply

Back