WSM manual / foiling the pan

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
I noticed in the manual it states the following:

? Lining the bowl with aluminum foil will obstruct the air flow.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any thoughts on it?

They must've added that to the manual, 'cause it's not in mine.

I could only guess as to what they're referring to, but if I foil the pan I make sure that the foil is tight around the edges of the pan so as to not "obstruct the air flow".

Dang, Dave. You expect me to read the safety stuff?
icon_rolleyes.gif
Yeah...I just saw it, but I have no idea. I know I should pay attention, but my eyes sort of glaze over when I see a list of rules that are proceeded by a triangle with an exclamation point in the middle.
icon_confused.gif

Haha! I hear ya Dave - And besides - are we supposed to believe someone actually performed a resistance test to determine to what extent there was "obstruction of air flow". It reminds me of the disclaimers you see stating "While using this appliance - do not stick a screw driver in the socket while standing in a bucket of water"
icon_wink.gif
It seems they have to put these in there just in case someone blames them for a "defect".

I wonder what would happen if you used Matchlight in a WSM...it states everal times to noy use pre-soaked charcoal like Matchlight, as it may cause an explosion?!

I dont understand the correct usage of the pan. I always put a gallon of water, I figure it keeps moist in the smoker. Does it have any other purpose? Also heard some put sand in there, other foil the inside of the pan as well. What is this for and how should it be used?

Water in the pan is primarily to act as a heat sink, i.e., something that absorbs heat, helping to limit how hot the cooker can get. Sand is also a heat sink, as is terra cotta or ceramic, which some use instead, though neither is as efficient.

Foiling the pan is done to help with cleanup. In cooks where an empty pan is used (as in most of mine), the pan is foiled; the foil is placed in the pan so that there is an airspace between the pan and the foil. This lessens the chance of the drippings in the foil igniting.

Water in the pan will raise the humidity in the cooker somewhat, but it neither 'keeps meat moist' nor 'adds moisture to the meat' as one sometimes sees stated.

Ok, this subject has been kicked back and forth for a very long time. Has anyone ever asked Weber exactly what they envisioned the water pan for?

There seems to be two camps.

One camp says that the water in the pan is there as a heat sink to help cut down on temperature swings. Maybe, but since water boils at 212 degs (yes, I know at sea level) and cooking is done at at least 220 then the water simply won't absorb any more heat.

The other camp says that the water pan is there to keep humidity levels high in the cooker to help moisturize the meat. They like to put beer, wine, broth, etc in the pan. I baloney this one also. The meat is exuding moisture. Why would it absorb moisture at the same time?

I'll add a possible third variation. If the humidity level is very high in the cooker (from the water, wine, etc.) then the meat has a very difficult time 'sweating' or do it's evaporative cooling thing. If it can't 'sweat' then the internal temperature will just simply go up with the internal moisture intact. Think of it as 'foiling' the meat but with humidity.

Russ

Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
It reminds me of the disclaimers you see stating "While using this appliance - do not stick a screw driver in the socket while standing in a bucket of water"
icon_wink.gif
It seems they have to put these in there just in case someone blames them for a "defect".

My current favorite is the Nissan commercial where the airplane with a broken landing gear is saved by landing with the nose wheel in the bed of a moving Nissan pickup truck. On the screen is the fine print: "Fictionalization. Do not attempt." Oh darn... I was going to borrow my buddy's 727 and try it myself.

(Seriously, I think the whole concept, including the disclaimer, was very tongue-in-cheek.)

To stay on topic, I think Tim is right.
icon_biggrin.gif

There seems to be two camps.
Not really. People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts. That one 'camp' believes something that has no basis in reality - like putting apple juice in the waterpan will somehow add apple flavor to the meat - means it can be dismissed forthwith.

The water in the pan evaporating does not raise the humidity very high. It raises it to some degree - and it likely has some affect on evaporation at the meat's surface - but it's not very high. The draft prevents this.

OK, so theoretically water acts as a filter for indirect heating, acts as a temperature control by deflecting or intaking energy, and may create moist ambiance. It is good to use when you are cooking low and slow between 200-250 degrees. When cooking hot and fast, it is better to keep the pan empty so the temperature can rise freely up to 350 or more.

Here`s a pickle.... What about sand? Does it act exactly the same as water or is there a difference?

Big difference. Water absorbs heat then, when hot, releases it as steam (and through evaporation). This conversion from one form to another uses energy and is one reason why water cannot get hotter than a boil, 212? at sea level.

Sand (or ceramic or terra cotta) absorbs heat but does not convert it. It can get very, very hot. It will release heat at virtually the same temperature that it already is, viz., if the lit fuel below gets out of hand and heats the sand to, say, 280 or 300 or whatever, the sand will release heat at whatever point it must at whatever temp it is. Closing vents will have little immediate affect - and the sand can throw off these higher temps for some time.

Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
I noticed in the manual it states the following:

? Lining the bowl with aluminum foil will obstruct the air flow.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any thoughts on it?

OK, just for fun figured I'd add my response to the original post and not get caught up in the "water in the pan" dialog as that was fully answered (to my agreement I might add).

AFA foil in the bowl. Taking the statement literally one wants to leap to the interpretation that it is addressing the water bowl/pan. As there is no fuel bowl in a WSM per se. Just a ring and a fuel grate.

So foiling the water pan/bowl whether you put water in it or not has NO affect on heat transfer or anything else. I know this empirically since I've been keeping the water pan foiled forever and have never had any problems with heat transfer or temp issues as a result.

Seems to me Weber missed something by way of whoever proof reads/edits the manual.

Of course, don't foil the fuel grate or the food grates, that will make for big trouble as it DOES obstruct air flow.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be to NOT FOIL the bottom bowl. You know - the thing with the legs and vents attached. That would definitely defeat any air flow or air control
icon_smile.gif

But yeah, go ahead and foil the water pan/bowl. Ignore that statement in the manual. Foiling makes it easier to keep clean
icon_smile.gif
I'm thinking that the statement as referenced above was really meant to tell you NOT TO FOIL THE BOTTOM BOWL. Not to be confused with the water pan.

Back