WSM 18.5 Temperature has been running low?

M Strickland

TVWBB Member
Hello, My WSM 18.5 that I've had for 14 years has been running at a lower temparature for the last couple of cooks. In the past, I've had no problem with getting it to run at whatever temperature I wanted.

I only use Kingsford charcoal.

Today, I smoked three racks aof spare ribs and could not get the WSM temperature over about 210 degrees F with the vents full open. I wanted around 250 or so. I used the Minion method with plenty of unlit charcoal and 1/2 of a chimney of lit charcoal. I had about a gallon of water in the water pan. After 4 hours and 45 minutes or so, the ribs were up to about 170 degrees internal temperature so they were not quite as tender as I wanted but still good. Outside temperature was about 70 degrees F, so weather is not an issue.

For Thanksgiving, I cooked a 15 pound turkey and couldn't get the tempersature over 300F with the vents wide open and an empty water pan. Again, Minion with plenty of charcoal and 1/2 chimney of lit coals. I was aiming for 325 to 350. Outside temp about 65 degrees.

Both cooks turned out OK, but took longer than they would have with the correct cooking temperature.

The WSM is so simple that I can't figure out why I'm suddenly having temperature problems. As far as I know, I haven't changed anything.

Has anybody else had a problem with their WSM like this?

I haven't had problems like that, no. There wasn't ash blocking the lower vents or anything like that?

I know you mentioned running this cooker for 14 years and that's a heck of a lot of experience - there must be something about the cooker that's changed...

If you were to light up via standard method - do you think your turkey cook would have run about 325-350? I use that method in my 18 for hot cooks and I've never been let down (with a good wind break as necessary).

I haven't had problems like that, no. There wasn't ash blocking the lower vents or anything like that?

I know you mentioned running this cooker for 14 years and that's a heck of a lot of experience - there must be something about the cooker that's changed...

If you were to light up via standard method - do you think your turkey cook would have run about 325-350? I use that method in my 18 for hot cooks and I've never been let down (with a good wind break as necessary).
I think you're right that something in the cooker has changed. The standard method would probably work. I'll try that if I can;t figure out what is wrong.

The method I've been using for years had always been pretty automatic. It take about 30 minutes or so to bring the temperature up to my target, I set the lower vents to about 2/3 open and the temperature stays stable throughout the cook. Whether I want a low and slow or a hot and fast cook depends on whether I put water in the water pan or not.

Either my airflow or the Kingsford charcoal must have changed. I just can;t figure out which it is.

Is the therm calibrated or running out of time.
I haven't checked the thermometer calibration. The reason I'm certain the tempsa re lower is because the cooks are taking longer.

I'm going to have to do some testing to figure out what is wrong. It may be something I'm doing differently that I'm not aware of.

let us know what you're finding - I cook with Kingsford regularly. and I use about a half chimney of unlit when I am firing up the 18.

(I just use a starter right in the charcoal when using the 14 because it has less capacity). if T Roy would have buried his chunks, filled his basket completely full, and used a starter square - we would be twinkies for sure.

Very long shot here, but were you cleaning the WSM after each cook and now you are not ?
If so, maybe the cleaning process kept an air gap open but now, without cleaning, it is closed.

Very long shot here, but were you cleaning the WSM after each cook and now you are not ?
If so, maybe the cleaning process kept an air gap open but now, without cleaning, it is closed.
Yup, or the extra buildup along the walls is causing issues.

Since the charcoal is harder to pin down if you're using the same stuff, I'd give the whole thing a good clean.

Using the same temperature of water as before?

I haven't checked the thermometer calibration. The reason I'm certain the tempsa re lower is because the cooks are taking longer.

I'm going to have to do some testing to figure out what is wrong. It may be something I'm doing differently that I'm not aware of.
I’m guessing it’s the thermometer that’s off. I had one that was accurate for eight years and then was suddenly off by 40’. A replacement was $11.50.

Light more charcoal. Particularly to get 350. You need to light a full overflowing chimney. Probably add an additional damper to the top also.

I cooked a turkey breast yesterday evening at 375. Using my heater meter and blower/ damper.
That is about the limit I can get to with a full big chimney of charcoal.

No minion method here. Light the charcoal chimney. Maybe even light a few spots in the charcoal in the bottom as well and when you're gunning for 350. Pour it all out on top and spread it out. Let the controller handle it from there. The only time I use half a chimney, is if I'm going for temperatures under 200 for smoking bacon.

Possibly air leaks of sealed up with grease over time reducing your actual air.

You can't go by the dome thermometer for anything. It measures the temperature at the top, and that varies wildly based on the big hunk of 40° meat under it and what the air currents inside are.. The good, it really doesn't matter it everything still cooks basically the same between 220 - 300. Just a matter of jow long it takes

Back