Would you spin a turkey in zero degrees?!

My (Chicago) weekend menu is (was?) planned to include spinning a 14 pound bird and roast a prime tenderloin, and numerous veggies etc. on my gassers. Now Mother Nature is bringing Snowmageddon and below-zero temps in on Thus-Friday. Wife says I’m nuts and I need intervention from tvwbb!! Thoughts?
What about the wind?
Do this one inside...... and Merry Christmas!

Without reading any of the previous posts, I wouldn't hesitate to spin a turkey over the next few days other than it being a bit uncomfortable outside. Even with sub zero temps, you will be able to get the up plenty hot enough to cook it.

Bob H brings up a good point. Wind is a factor that is much harder to control. If your grill will be out in 30-40 mph winds, then your temps will fluctuate greatly and may indeed make maintaining an adequate temp impossible.

One think about grilling that I like is not heating up the house when the outside temps are in the 90's. This time of year, it is actually a bonus. Maybe the oven is the better choice, unless your really want the rotisserie experience.

YES! any special recipe to share?
I have done lobster tails many a time I do them on my Silver C they only take 4-5 minutes a side. All I do is slit them with a kitchen scissors lengthwise rub them with olive oil and off you go, meat easier to pull when you slit the shell. Basically do the same thing when I do Alaskan King Crab slit them lengthwise rub with olive oil but since they are cooked no more than 2 minutes a side otherwise they can stick to the shell if you cook them too long just really trying to warm them up.

I like Alaskan crab better think you just caused me to spend 100 bucks for new years day have not had them for awhile and my daughter is home from med school and she loves King Crab. Throw on a few Filets for dessert. :)

I have done lobster tails many a time I do them on my Silver C they only take 4-5 minutes a side. All I do is slit them with a kitchen scissors lengthwise rub them with olive oil and off you go, meat easier to pull when you slit the shell. Basically do the same thing when I do Alaskan King Crab slit them lengthwise rub with olive oil but since they are cooked no more than 2 minutes a side otherwise they can stick to the shell if you cook them too long just really trying to warm them up.

I like Alaskan crab better think you just caused me to spend 100 bucks for new years day have not had them for awhile and my daughter is home from med school and she loves King Crab. Throw on a few Filets for dessert. :)
Seeking a recipe to up my game.

1671655816637.jpeg

I do a drawn butter, fresh garlic, salt & black pepper. Cooked in the half shell with shell side down and then a finish sear with meat side down before serving.

Personally, an excellent dungeoness crab will taste as good as KC legs for 1/5 the price. You just need to know where your crab is coming from.

For lobster tails, I simply use a shear, cut down the back, split open and pull the meat out. Lay on top the shell, drizzle with olive oil, a little smoked paprika and a little Old Bay seasoning. Serve with drawn Kerrygold salted butter and lemon. Best ever!

YES! any special recipe to share?
Not really. I pick up frozen cold water tails, thaw them in the fridge, grill over medium charcoals in the shells to about 140 F internal. Split the carapace with shears, pop the tail out and serve with drawn butter. It doesn't get much easier.

Brett, don't think they sell that down here might be mistaken is that not a West Coast thing?
Possibly. I don’t recall which crabs are east coast. A good dungeoness is as sweet as KC. We had some in AK this summer and I was blown away at the Dungeoness quality.

Not really. I pick up frozen cold water tails, thaw them in the fridge, grill over medium charcoals in the shells to about 140 F internal. Split the carapace with shears, pop the tail out and serve with drawn butter. It doesn't get much easier.
I have also done @LMichaels method. It's good if you have a bit hotter fire, as the effectively doubled up shells will protect the meat a bit more. OTOH, keep the lid closed as this method also relies on oven style cooking as well as direct fired.

For all of you in the way of that storm with snow and frigid temps stay safe even the South is going to get a blast of those temps nothing like certain parts of the country.

If lid is open yeah. My late friend who had been an executive chef at some pretty "uppity" places showed me the trick. He said the shell would also impart a little more flavor than just slapping the meat on the grill

Here lately it’s been getting down into the 30s but I cook in a canopy keep it wrapped so it stays warm inside there Cook year round 🥶😎

I have roto'd turkeys over charcoal in all kinds of weather - zero degree, blizzard, all good. I'm not sure about the gas though, it's not what I use. Myself I would stick to the plan.

If lid is open yeah. My late friend who had been an executive chef at some pretty "uppity" places showed me the trick. He said the shell would also impart a little more flavor than just slapping the meat on the grill
Well, yeah. If you put a bare tail meat on the grill, I think you're gonna have a bad time. That's going to require very well oiled grates and a very low fire to avoiding scorching the tails. Grilling inside the shells does allow them to be flipped over for a bit quicker cook time, but does require taking very hot tails out of the shell. Your method does have the advantage that while it may be longer, it's much more of a set & forget technique. Hrrrm..... lessee..... make a little paprika & tarragon butter to brush on the extracted meat before grilling. Time to see what sort of fresh herbs I can get between now & the weekend.

Well, yeah. If you put a bare tail meat on the grill, I think you're gonna have a bad time.
I don't think anyone would put a bare tail on the grill its not shrimp. Taking hot tails out of the shell if you slit it before cooking means pulling it out with a fork no difference than doing Alaskan by the way.

It may just be a slow news day, but the forecasters are now saying a once in a generation storm is predicted. Please consider carefully. If it were me, I wouldn't risk my good health for something I could easily do from within a warm and comfortable home.

Last edited:
It may just be a slow news day, but the forecasters are now saying a once in a generation storm is predicted. Please consider carefully. If it were me, I wouldn't risk my good health for something I could easily do from within a warm and comfortable home.

I would trap some live turkeys today, tie them to a fence, let them deep freeze over the storm and then let them slow-defrost and grill them as the weather warms up in about 2 months time.

Sounds like a plan.jpg

Back