Would you spin a turkey in zero degrees?!

I would trap some live turkeys today, tie them to a fence, let them deep freeze over the storm and then let them slow-defrost and grill them as the weather warms up in about 2 months time.
Or go to the store, buy an already cleaned and frozen turkey for 88 cents a pound, put it in the oven and curl up next to the fire with a glass of good whiskey and someone you love...why not enjoy some of the good life you worked so hard to provide for yourself and others? It's ok to put it in neutral and just coast for awhile from time to time.

Screenshot_20221222_000746_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Or go to the store, buy an already cleaned and frozen turkey for 88 cents a pound, put it in the oven and curl up next to the fire with a glass of good whiskey and someone you love...why not enjoy some of the good life you worked so hard to provide for yourself and others? It's ok to put it in neutral and just coast for awhile from time to time.

View attachment 64171

I'm a Rube Goldberg kinda guy

It may just be a slow news day, but the forecasters are now saying a once in a generation storm is predicted. Please consider carefully. If it were me, I wouldn't risk my good health for something I could easily do from within a warm and comfortable home.

Great Caesar's ghost!

Live in Central Iowa, and there's no way I would attempt it. I wouldn't even consider it as an option. They're talking about wide areas of power outages to boot. 30 to 50 mph sustained winds for 3 straight days. I wouldn't do that if it was 90 degrees out with that type of wind. Forget about the negative temps which are going to be dangerous, but the winds. Would you do so in a tornado, hurricane, straight line winds or derecho? Me either.... Even if I had a custom over built insulated cabinet smoker or custom built grill I wouldn't do it let alone a common weber anything, and yes any weber is cheap and under built compared to the custom builts I'm talking about. I have a ton of weber products, but let's be real. This isn't a knock on weber, just being realistic.

For lobster tails, I simply use a shear, cut down the back, split open and pull the meat out. Lay on top the shell, drizzle with olive oil, a little smoked paprika and a little Old Bay seasoning. Serve with drawn Kerrygold salted butter and lemon. Best ever!

For lobster tails, I simply use a shear, cut down the back, split open and pull the meat out. Lay on top the shell, drizzle with olive oil, a little smoked paprika and a little Old Bay seasoning. Serve with drawn Kerrygold salted butter and lemon. Best ever!
This is the same way that I prep & grill 'em...right down to the drawn Kerrygold.
The hardest part, for me anyway, is pulling the meat out.

My (Chicago) weekend menu is (was?) planned to include spinning a 14 pound bird and roast a prime tenderloin, and numerous veggies etc. on my gassers. Now Mother Nature is bringing Snowmageddon and below-zero temps in on Thus-Friday. Wife says I’m nuts and I need intervention from tvwbb!! Thoughts?
So, did you spin the bird during Snowmageddon? Or did you wimp out...:)

How did everything go?

Gerry

I wouldn't do it. That's numbing cold.

On the other hand, I just picked up my first 22" kettle last week. I wanted a Master Touch, but ended up settling for a new Premium Kettle purchased from Marketplace. I can't wait to rotisserie on it once the weather gets better.

Of course, after making the purchase, someone decided to post a gen 2 Performer for sale. Anyone know what's considered a good price for one of these? Where I am, it's rare to see Performers w/ gas ignition posted up for sale. This one looked to be in decent condition too.

This is the same way that I prep & grill 'em...right down to the drawn Kerrygold.
The hardest part, for me anyway, is pulling the meat out.
Try the half shell cut. The meat pulls right out. It’s like pulling a zipper to open.

1672265672159.jpeg

Strong recco on the skewers though. It keeps the tails straight. Otherwise they’ll curl up on the grill.

We had lobster this way in the Caribbean 30 years ago (Club Med). It’s been my goto ever since.

Try the half shell cut. The meat pulls right out. It’s like pulling a zipper to open.

View attachment 64401

Strong recco on the skewers though. It keeps the tails straight. Otherwise they’ll curl up on the grill.

We had lobster this way in the Caribbean 30 years ago (Club Med). It’s been my goto ever since.
This is what I did for Saturday night, down below 0 F, albeit without the skewer. Yum. Brushed with a shallot & tarragon compound butter.

This is what I did for Saturday night, down below 0 F, albeit without the skewer. Yum. Brushed with a shallot & tarragon compound butter.
Yup. The broiler works fine too. Good results and you won’t freeze your you know what off outside.

Yup. The broiler works fine too. Good results and you won’t freeze your you know what off outside.
Shoot, man. I threw a chore jacket on when I went out to light the charcoal, otherwise I was just wearing a T-shirt & gym shorts. Not like I was outside for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time.

Shoot, man. I threw a chore jacket on when I went out to light the charcoal, otherwise I was just wearing a T-shirt & gym shorts. Not like I was outside for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time.
You forget, anything below 50° here is too cold 😂

I have to admit that I stopped cooking on my grill this time of year many years ago. It just isn't worth the hassle. Cooking outside and not having to cut the grass anymore now go hand in hand. I will start grilling again before the lawn needs attention again in the spring. I did actually bring my grill into the garage this year, which is a first for me. If it gets a little warmer out like it's supposed to I could wheel it on the driveway and make something, we'll see.

View attachment 64401

Thanks for the tip!
The hardest part about the whole lobster tail grilling process is pulling the meat away from the split shells.

Thanks, again!

So, did you spin the bird during Snowmageddon? Or did you wimp out...:)

How did everything go?

Gerry
hahahaha. Well.... :cautious: I wound up parking the 22 in the "alee" position with my garage blocking a steady 10-20 mph mph wind. I used Kingsford Pro in the SnS. With water in the tank. No roto. I had a really tough time keeping the kettle temp above 225 IDK why. Prob b/c outdoor ambient temp was single digit and wind was whipping!? :LOL: I lost confidence quickly and played too much with the controls so to speak (adjusting vents, adding pre-lit coals, stirring the fire, terrible impatience!)... After one hour or so on the pecan smoke, I brought the bird indoors and finished in the oven. It turned out pretty good (a little dry but I always keep 6-8 cups of chicken stock rolling so I dipped the sliced breasts in right before service and they were warm and juicy). I also did a spiral cut ham on the gasser with no problems, as it was in a foil pan and wrapped. So I would rate the proteins 4 *stars out of 5, but my "polar vortex grill game" needs some work. Maybe our Canadian brethren can have us up for some instructions in February lol.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 5
I am trying this NYE! Nice.
for this cut method, you'll place the lobster tails with their bottom side up. start the incision cut around half way up from the tail flaps and cut from the point of the knife at the middle with the heel of the knife towards the rear flaps. this way the tail is stable and doesn't roll on you. then flip the lobster tail 180 degrees and finalize the cut from the mid section where you cut to the meaty/body side.

and straight blade with consistent down force will cut the tail in half. the topside of the tail has the thicker exoskeleton. the belly side just has ribs that need breaking. in short you're using the knife as a lever to rock the cut from the knife tip to the heel. it's not a sawing motion but rather a single and firm chop motion.

hope this helps. i don't want you losing a finger on this method.

and ALWAYS remember to check to ensure the main gut vein is removed from the top of the tail. you don't want that cooked or with your food.

a quick faucet rinse will remove any small shell fragments you might create when cutting.

Last edited:

Back