Worth the effort?

It is a good chance that the heat and expansion/contraction around welding would damage the porcelain. I would drill and bolt the handle on - use pan head machine thread screws/bolts which would look better than hex head bolts. Plus, in my opinion the weld would be more unsightly than the screws/bolts, especially if touched up with a little matching paint.

It is a good chance that the heat and expansion/contraction around welding would damage the porcelain. I would drill and bolt the handle on - use pan head machine thread screws/bolts which would look better than hex head bolts. Plus, in my opinion the weld would be more unsightly than the screws/bolts, especially if touched up with a little matching paint.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Use stainless steel screws and nuts. The only reason it was spot welded from the factory is that it is cheaper that way.

That wouldn't tolerate the stress. jfortson's advice of stainless steel nut and bolt is the best and most stable approach. A little matching high temp paint will make it look great and almost like factory.

Hmmm, I wonder how well JBWeld, some other epoxy, or even Gorilla Glue would hold up ??

I've tried welding on a smokey joe & it was very unsatisfactory - both in regards the quality of the weld & cosmetic appearance. The porcelain has to be removed for a good weld. This is very difficult to do as the porcelain is some tough stuff. Possibly sandblasting it would be the best way to do it. I know grinding, sanding & filing didn't work very well. Myself.... I'd use some stainless steel bolts & be done with it.

Pop rivet is a reasonable repair too, but, I don't have a rivet gun so, I'd bolt it.
To paraphrase "Tuco" from "the Good Bad and Ugly"
If you're going to grill, grill. Don't talk about it!"

The problem with pop rivets is that the metal is very thin and over time it will fail. With the stainless steel nuts and bolts, they won't fail over time. Much better option.

Back