Wooden grill brush

I, too, once assumed the wire brush warnings were fake news. My first brush a couple years ago was the one pictured here and I could never find a stray wire on any of my grates nor firebox. Then, I purchased a replacement--the same one--yet upon my first use that sucker shed like a cat. Since then I've either been using a wad of aluminum foil, or the nylon Char-Broil brush. These two devices provide acceptable results but I must admit it is a bummer that I cannot use the wire brush because it was a more effective instrument on my various grate surfaces.

iGrkHVL.jpg

Saw them today at Meijer’s, FULL PRICE! $19.85 or some such nonsense, I think I will go raid my cabinetmaker buddy’s scrap buckets! Cherry would be nice, if he’s got some stock five minutes (OK, half an hour) should see me to one or two maybe make a couple of different sizes and woods. He pretty much always has some oak, cherry and walnut on hand, maybe some sycamore to match my patio bar?

Saw them today at Meijer’s, FULL PRICE! $19.85 or some such nonsense, I think I will go raid my cabinetmaker buddy’s scrap buckets! Cherry would be nice, if he’s got some stock five minutes (OK, half an hour) should see me to one or two maybe make a couple of different sizes and woods. He pretty much always has some oak, cherry and walnut on hand, maybe some sycamore to match my patio bar?

They have a very similar wood scraper on amazon for 10 bucks. Free shipping if you have amazon prime.

I was in my local Walmart today and these were in the clearance section. Look very similar to the one the OP made. These were $7.00 on clearance.

VDhr9DI.jpg

Bruce,

The stickers at your Walmart say $5.00!! My wife just called me from our Walmart and not even close. I would go for two or three if I could get them here for just $5;)

Jon

Joh, I could check and see if they still have some left and grab them and send them on if you care to pay me back for them and shipping.

How much was your walmart asking for them?

Bruce,

If they are really $5.00 I am in for three plus shipping. That is a very kind offer:). Just let me know the total and whether you want a check or PayPal.

My wife looked for me yesterday, and she said they were $19 each:eek:!!!

Jon

LOL, I did some looking on line and amazon and others had them at $19.99 as well. That was the lowest I saw. I will try to get out there this afternoon and check it out to see if they have any left and let you know.
Bruce

Big thanks:D to Bruce for taking the time to trek back to his Walmart and get me some of the clearance priced wood scrapers and then mailing to me. See his picture for what they look like.

I just tried one tonight on my first experience in years with the classic Weber porcelain coated, stamped steel grates. This wooden scraper is very substantial and nicely crafted. It takes time to get them to “fit” to your grate, but even the first use wasn’t too bad on the flat surface of these grates. I would think where they would excel is with rod type grates, but I am looking forward to trying them on my Q where I have had the most problems with broken bristles on its cast iron grates.

I was able to pick the same one up at my local Wally world for $5 also and just used it the first time last night and it is a great alternative to the wire bristle brush if you don't want to go that route.

Interesting. I saw those in our walmart as well for like $10 or so....not on sale. I figure those are what Walmart was replacing the clearance one with.

Oh I thought they were one and the same. Anyway I tried it last night prior to my cook
2nqywsl.jpg
a07ymr.jpg
vrzqbk.jpg

Ribeye steaks from Sam's. The small one is about 1/3rd of a steak that I butterflied and cooked to hockey puck levels for the wife, of course I had my Sunday martini, and griddled zucchini on the Lodge cast iron griddle.
Anyway the wooden paddles did not impress me. I still had to use the wire brush

Everything looks great, Larry! As to wooden scraper, I think you have to work with it for long enough to burn in decent size grooves before you can write-it off. I am still hopeful, because I do worry about metal bristles...

Back