Winter storage suggestions?

Ron A

TVWBB Fan
In another 6 weeks or so, I'll be putting the WSM away for the winter. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it basically rains from mid-October to early May so running the WSM for 6,8, or 12 hours outside on an uncovered patio is not my idea of "fun".

So... my plan is to:

1. Clean the grates (probably run them through the "Clean" cycle of the wall oven)
2. Empty and wipe clean all ash and errant drippings from the bottom.
3. Clean and dry the "water bowl" completely
4. Clean and dry the terra cotta base (used instead of water)
5. Open vents
6. Cover
7. Store in attached garage

I was also thinking of burning a load of charcoal at high heat before cleaning to basically burn away anything that could grow mold or mildew during the rainy season.

Any other suggestions for long-term winter storage? I've read a few posts here about folks who stored their WSM for long periods, only to find all sorts of things growing on the inside when they opened them up. Obviously, this is what I am trying to avoid.

Ron,

I am sort of in the same predicament as you. Live in Ontario, where it can either rain all winter, or snow like a bastard. Either way, we lose! Your suggestions/questions look good to me. I was going to do basically the same thing and then store it in my basement. It's not finished, so will keep it nice and warm and dry through the winter.

It sucks not being able to use it through the winter, but I don't think I have any other option, unfortunately.

Seriously? Put it away for the winter or the "rainy season"....? Could never go that long without. Derek, winter is my favorite time to smoke! Ron, Your thoughts are sound on storage but...

Guys - I live in Chicago, the windy city where in the winters, it turns into the frozen tundra with blizzards rivaling those near the poles.

I cook all year around pretty easily. Just get a Instant up canopy, with curtains. Problem solved. Now is the time to buy them as they are pretty cheap now!

FWIW, you really don't have to tighten them down - just the sides to the wind, and they work great.

Scott and Marc: An "instant canopy" would work for me IF I had a place to set it up. My back yard is anything but level (about a 15 degree grade sloping away from the house and a 6' X 6' concrete slab out the back patio door. That's pretty much it. I grill and smoke when I can, but when the winter weather sets in, it's back to broiling, frying and baking in the kitchen. It just makes me appreciate my WSM and Genesis all that much more come the drier weather.

Don't put it away:(... Get an ez up and you can still smoke even if it rains. Do a wheel mod on the smoker and you can easily move it around.

Suck it up. I cook with 4' of snow and -40c. Put it near the back door and let 'er rip all winter.

I've found the best part of grilling in the winter is watching the neighbors look around to see where those great smells are coming from.
That being said, I can't wait to drive them wild with the WSM running this winter.:wsm:

Winter in six weeks? Geez it will be in the low 90's today.:p
I can't imagine not using one of my Webey's for the holidays.. Turkey day wouldn't be the same, or for my X-mas roast and New year's steaks! I keep mine in the garage, and with wheels I can move it easily to right inside the 16' door. I have a big ceiling fan set up by a window which gives good cross ventilation and drives any smoke or fumes out the door.
I never leave it unattended(over-nites) but it works for me during a downpour.:wsm:

Tim

who grills in snow?!
gtalk.35C

DSCN1923.JPG

I live in SW Michigan and I'm planning on smoking with my WSM and grilling with the Performer. We get a lot of Lake Effect from the Big Lake...don't let a little snow and wind stop you.

My patio cover isn’t big enough to get the 1000, performer, Q100 and mini along with the patio furniture under it. I also learned the hard way that Weber covers are not water proof and snow melting on them can do evil things to your grill. For the gasser and performer I buy inexpensive plastic drop cloths put those over the grill then put the Weber cover over that and that keeps them dry. The mini and Q I put a kitchen size trash bag over them then the Weber cover. As far as prepping them I don’t because I use them all winter long, just there normal cleaning

OK Bob, you win! Reminds me of the winters in Hesperus, CO (8000 ft elevation)...I used to rest by sitting on the edge of the roof when I was shoveling snow away from the windows so the outside didn't come inside! But just like you, when I wanted some barbecue..."Snow? What snow?"

i cook rain or shine, my neighbors get a show in my all night winter cooks, out there in my undies and a jacket!

Here's the big bad winter photo I have. That was the AM and I cooked that afternoon after it melted. LOL

Last edited:

Back