Will some people NEVER understand?!

But I bet it worked......... The lighter fluid on the chimney that is.
You better let those coals ash over if you use lighter fluid.
Seems like the worst of both worlds. It you're using fluid, just soak em and light em.

Chimney will only slow that process down.

As soon as I see lighter fluid, I‘m the kind of person that wants to say ‘Hey, Can I show you something?’.
But I mostly don’t, because more times than not, the response is a knee-jerk, ego filled, attitudinal tyraid inspired by the latest Reality TV show, celebrity or twitter meme.
Against my better judgement, I recently posted a how-to for making firestarters on Facebook, and got plenty of flack for it. No good deed goes unpunished.

Some people probably just don't know any better. If you consider that the average American might only grill 3 or 4 times per year (guessing), during spring/summer holidays, and they are probably just following suite of the ways their Fathers likely grilled back in the day. So using light fluid in these cases does not surprise me, not that I'm an advocate of course.

Before there were chimneys my Mom would use a coffee can w/no ends and a bunch of holes on one side.
That's a smart momma, Andy! My mom always made fire starters with egg cartons, each hole filled with dryer lint (all cotton, no synthetics), and then filled with wax. Dad just put one or two in the grill, then piled charcoal on top.

So, OK - I tried the marinading in lighter fluid thing and the food just tasted like I was on a Girl Scout camporee. Was I using the wrong brand of lighter fluid? How long do you marinade it for?

We must be the worst!!
I go to my best friends house and he tries but man his grills are dirty, his tools suck. And then everyone wants me to cook cause I’m the bbq guy. Makes me want to bring my own stuff. Well at least I have good gift ideas for him!!

Years ago I was asked to BBQ the burgers on the hosts gas grill with lava rocks in the bed. The host was not a cook so I did it, burgers for 20 people. Needless to say that grill never got that kind of work out. The grill was a fire ball but the burgers were cooked and pretty good. The hosts said their grill was never used like that. :ROFLMAO: Normally when he BBQs it takes a lot longer and involves many beers, his words. I'm glad the lava rock days are over due the sponge effect that causes the grease fire.:oops:

We must be the worst!!
I go to my best friends house and he tries but man his grills are dirty, his tools suck. And then everyone wants me to cook cause I’m the bbq guy. Makes me want to bring my own stuff. Well at least I have good gift ideas for him!!
Maybe bring a grill and leave it with him.

So, OK - I tried the marinading in lighter fluid thing and the food just tasted like I was on a Girl Scout camporee. Was I using the wrong brand of lighter fluid? How long do you marinade it for?
Any fool knows that lighter fluid is supposed to be used for wet-brining....not marinading. Sheesh.
We must be the worst!!
Lucky you. I don't get invites. I'm told it's because I'm also the bbq guy, and everyone feels slightly intimidated by my skills at the grills, (many acquired from these hallowed pages). But they never decline an invite to my grill though......funny that. :unsure:

On topic: I've witnessed, and heard, a karuuump! followed by three foot high flames shooting up above the neighbour's fence, with much clapping and appreciative laughter by those gathered around the inferno. I just shake my head and give them a withering look. They must think I'm a curmudgeonly bar-steward! :LOL:
Get a frigging chimney!, and Get. Off. My. Lawn., while you're at it. 👴

Last edited:
I’ve become a convert to the paper towel and some oil igniter fan!
This thread is laughable and pathetic at the same time! Thinking seems to be beyond some people's capacity, let alone learning.

As far as the paper towel and canola oil -- absolutely! Somewhere else I posted that I bought some Weber paraffin starter cubes to try out as an alternative. Frankly, if anyone wants to come by, you can have those remaining after using a total of three on two different attempts. I had better luck on my 14.5 with no chimney, paper towel and oil and a stack of lump on the charcoal grate. So after all these years of using paper towel and oil in my former chimney, I'm back to the paper towel and oil as the best starter -- chimney or no chimney.

Some may be old enough to remember that before chimney's became common and popular, some would use a coffee can with ends cut out as a makeshift chimney. Since I included my Weber chimney when I sold my 18" WSM (yes, mistake!), I decided to try the "old school" chimney (can) with a large baked beans can. Well, it sorta worked, but that can wasn't large enough (about 3" across). Today's coffee "cans" aren't especially good as chimneys (to say nothing of the possible carcinogens released), I'm sort of looking out for an old coffee-sized can of something that I actually want to buy or something really cheap. (I think another Weber chimney is a bit excessove for the 14.5.) Meanwhile, since a simple pile of lump over igniter worked fine, I don't feel pressured to make an immediate purchase. (BTW, in case it isn't obvious, if you want to try the "can chimney", be sure you have a good set of tongs to handle the blistering hot can. And I suggest drilling a hole in the lower end to make lighting the paper towel (etc.) easier. Put the can on the grate with starter, pour desired amount of lump on top, add more lump around the can, light up and pull the can (tongs) when coals are ready. Pretty good Minion setup.)

...Thinking seems to be beyond some people's capacity, let alone learning.

...I'm sort of looking out for an old coffee-sized can of something that I actually want to buy or something really cheap. ...

I shouldn't be critical -- apparently I'm barely trainable myself! On re-reading my post, the thought popped into what passes for my mind, that I have a can of Costco coffee that may be perfect. Just peel off the plastic lable. It may actually be too large, but certainly worth trying. Now -- where's the lighter fluid?

I shouldn't be critical -- apparently I'm barely trainable myself! On re-reading my post, the thought popped into what passes for my mind, that I have a can of Costco coffee that may be perfect. Just peel off the plastic lable. It may actually be too large, but certainly worth trying. Now -- where's the lighter fluid?
I’ve got a full can in my garage!😉

Back