Why do you cook with fire?

Why do you cook with fire. It tastes good. It's simple. It's relaxing.
So what happens when we do 'production' cooking-for gifts or for an event? That's a life changer. Suddenly there is the need for more control. There are deadlines. There is an increased volume of meat needed....
That gets us away from 'cooking with fire' to technology enhanced cooking. Multiple devices: thermometers that are on wifi, bluetooth, phones...Blowers and worse. I know charcoal is not cooking with wood in the pure sense but pellets seem a step too far.
Do you want to be concerned about software updates before starting a cook?
I am currently doing all my outdoor cooking on a three burner natural gas Genesis. My only thermometers are the built in one (no I have not verified its accuracy or have I needed to) and an instant read thermometer. I do miss charcoal but do to a variety of events I'm down to the gasser plumbed to the house supply. Unfortunately, my smoked pulled pork has met everyones expectations. So I'm cooking very simply. Every time I visit here, I feel the need for charcoal. Perhaps this fall I'll complicate life and return to Labor Day and 4th of July charcoal sales and spreading ashes across the yard. I'm not sure I'll break down and get that very useful remote monitored thermometer.
The “simple and relaxing” part comes long after taking up the hobby and even then, it can be interrupted by some complexity and stress.
I think that is why I cook with fire. It is the challenge to make great meals and replicate them to the point of “perfection”, whatever that means.
I also love the elements that come with cooking with fire like being outside, listening to music, and having a well made drink.
Sharing the end results are also meaningful.
I went through a very brief phase where I had probes, etc. That wasn’t for me and I found it actually made my cooks more stressful.

In the end we're ALL cooking with fire (well except those using electric). It's the control and containment of that fire and the fuel used to create it.

Two gas, one charcoal...not all at the same house. A few instant read thermometers including one Thermapen and one wireless thermometer setup for slow cook stuff on the Akorn. Pizza stone oven kind of gizmos too. I guess a rotisserie falls into the gizmo category too.

Well, I’ve got a gas range and, I use the grills because it’s just plain fun! Being outside, even when it’s cold grilling something for the two of us or for the whole family? The kettles keep my hands warm and, the family warms my heart.
I would agree with you 100% Timothy......I was only being a tad facetious.........some things they say these days are silly but I do also enjoy playing with the fire I guess you could put it.
To me mostly though every single cook is a challenge....yeah sure I have made this fire before for this protein, but any changes you do from amount of charcoal to how long its in the chimney to how many starter cubes.....or long long its in the bbq before the meat....ect. It seems to have an impact on how the fire is going to react to the food on the grill....I like the fact that you have to learn from mistakes, be observant and be able to react and make changes and be confident it is going to work.........
Also like me make fire...me make lines on meat...me eat meat.........

Hey guys, that was lively. Thanks for all your perspectives. My intent was to express how a simple approach could bring the benefits of outdoor cooking without all the complications.

This parallels the Overlanding hobby. A vehicle, ice chess and a tent can do a lot. However, lifted 4X4 with 35's, rooftop tents, refrigerators and so on are all the rage. In our society it is so hard to keep it simple.

My Z will hold a perfect 160. Not 150 but hard to nit pick over 10 deg
I'm curious if you have checked that with a separate temp probe.

I could set my pit boss pellet to 180 and it was 200 on the left 210 to 215 in the center and 205 on the right side.

Well the gizmos was supposed to make it more convenient for you that's all.

Now for that matter people used to cook with dung... Cow crap.... Heat their homes with it too.
A man's wealth could be gauged by the size of his manure pile. In places where wood wasn't plentiful that's what people used.

I've read it actually did not smell in dried form, or if it did it smelled less bad than people themselves probably.

Who wants to try some retro barbecue using dried cow dung as fuel?

My point is, tongue in cheek, there's nothing inherently special about wood or charcoal or dung or any other fuel source people historically used for thousands of years. Pellets or gas also. Yes some probably cook better than others.

Back