Why do ppl Boil Ribs?

On one episode of Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, there was a place (near Vegas, I think) that boiled their ribs IN something between and brine and a marinade for a ridiculous amount of time (maybe 12 hours?) then grilled them to set up the bark.

Personally, I boiled ribs once, at my FIL's request (because he'd seen them cooked that way on America's Test Kitchen). I followed their recipe to a "T", but what ultimately came off the grill looked (and I'm sure tasted) nothing like theirs. Maybe I missed something, but that was the first and last time I've ever boiled a rib.

Now, when it's truly not possible to smoke them, braised ribs can be tasty, if not always very appetizing to look at. I've used Alton Brown's recipe a few times with good results. There's actually a restaurant in my area which won "best baby backs in Bucks" [the county in which it resides] a bunch of years in a row. I had them many times and they tasted good, but were just this side of mushy and the meat (once you got past the sauce) was actually brownish gray. Now I know why the place was so dimly lit. At any rate, I heard from different people who'd worked there that they either boiled or braised the ribs. I will give them some credit, though, because they never used the term "BBQ" to describe them.

I'm not a fan of boiling meat, but in Texas they stand in line at Joe Mulls to get boiled ribs. Guy Fieri checks it out ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MY8dvJE_M

On one episode of Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, there was a place (near Vegas, I think) that boiled their ribs IN something between and brine and a marinade for a ridiculous amount of time (maybe 12 hours?) then grilled them to set up the bark...

It's Las Vegas - John Mull's Road Kill Grill.

Last edited:
I've had a few people tell me you have to add Crisco to the water when you boil ribs. (I just smiled and turned away)
Now deep frying a rib in Crisco might work. Smoke it till just shy of tender, than cool it and fridge. Slice in Cadillac cuts, than bread it ( beer batter might work) and pop it into the fryer till golden and crispy.:)

Tim

I'm guilty of boiling ribs because that's the way I was taught & didn't know any better. I learned later, I should cook em low & slow but, man was it a struggle! Because weber says to bank coals on both sides of the kettle to do low & slow. What a disaster! I had SUCH WILD temp fluctuations - over 75 degrees - while making TINY vent adjustments. One end of the ribs would be raw & the other burnt. I kept trying - the better half would ask what's for dinner & groan when I replied "ribs".
Then I stumbled onto this site & found the firebrick method & never looked back. Now the better half is happy when I cook ribs...

Last edited:
I disagree of course, LOL.....Boiling first is much different than foiling after they have been rubbed and smoked for three hours or more. The dry rub against that raw meat will give it a flavor profile that boiling first and then rubbing will never achieve in my opinion anyway. And you know what they say about opinions. LOL

Got an email from America's Test Kitchen.
I'm not a paid member, but they send me some free links occasionally.

Today it was how to cook baby back ribs fast.
Simmer (not boil) them in salted water for 15 to 25 minutes, then grill them while applying a glaze.
They CLAIM that this method preserves the pork flavor.
I'll pass, even though I might try sous vide on a slab sometime in the future. :rolleyes:

Got an email from America's Test Kitchen.
I'm not a paid member, but they send me some free links occasionally.

Today it was how to cook baby back ribs fast.
Simmer (not boil) them in salted water for 15 to 25 minutes, then grill them while applying a glaze.
They CLAIM that this method preserves the pork flavor.
I'll pass, even though I might try sous vide on a slab sometime in the future. :rolleyes:
maybe they send BS emails to NON-members and send the REAL way to cook ribs to their paid members.... ;)

maybe they send BS emails to NON-members and send the REAL way to cook ribs to their paid members.... ;)
I don't know Jim, they were spot on with their Spam 'n Limas recipe.

enhanced-buzz-10821-1389281128-13.jpg

I love my ribs boiled, just hard to keep the rub on, been adding some mustard to the water now and I have found that helps

Back