Who will admit to liking steak sauce?

I sometime go for H57. Not slathered all over the steak - just a dab on the side of the plate, for dipping. My SO prefers A-1. But if I have time, I prefer to make the basic chimichurri recipe, from Steven Raichlen's "Barbeque Bible". Does that count as a steak sauce? And, of course, with a prime rib, we make horseradish sauce.

If we have cold steak leftovers, I like to slice it up for a sandwich, with a tiny bit of Dijon mustard.

Not much on steak sauce, but I can be in any steakhouse eating any steak at any price, and I have to have ketchup. Lots of ketchup. I can go without if need be, but the sweetness of the ketchup mixed with the sweetness of the meat/fat/char is a flavor that I really like, especially on a ribeye. For whatever reason though, I don't put anything on the fillets that we cook though, probably because I usually top them with a compound garlic butter, and they don't have the same fat sweetness as a ribeye, which again is my favorite. Don't get me wrong, the steaks alone taste fantastic, and I'm not trying to cover it up, but mixed with the ketchup, it's a whole 'nuther experience. Funny thing is, apart from foods that you normally put ketchup on, fries, hamburgers, hot dogs, I don't use it on much else, and very little at that.

I just throw away an unopened bottle of A1 sauce that I bought over a year ago for a recipe that I never made. It was always in my frig as a kid and I like the smell of it during a steak dinner, but I never used it, my brothers always did.
However, I love this recipe from Malcolm Reed and have used it (and posted those cooks here) multiple times on London Broils and Tri Tips and love it. There is something about the smell and cook of this marinade that reminds me of an elevated steak sauce.

I just came across a booklet that I received 5 years ago in one of my cooking magazines. It has recipes for 8 different things that you can make using Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce and/or A.1 steak sauce. Here are a few of them.

Scallion-Bacon Ketchup
Cook 4 slices diced bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving the drippings. Mix 3/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup chopped scallions, the bacon and 1 TB. each bacon drippings and Worcestershire sauce.

Jerk Spiced Ketchup
Stir 3/4 cup ketchup with 2 TB. each jerk seasoning and steak sauce until well combined.

Reuben Sauce
Cook 1 chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped sauerkraut and 1 tsp. caraway seeds in olive oil until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in 2 TB. each mayonnaise and ketchup, 2 tsp. sweet pickle relish, a dash of Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese.

Hoisin Barbecue Sauce
Cook 2 minced garlic cloves in olive oil until softened. Stir in 1/4 cup each hosin sauce and steak sauce, 1 TB. each soy sauce and ketchup and 1/3 cup water. Simmer until thick, about 10 minutes. Let cool, then stir in 1/2 tsp. sesame oil and 1 chopped scallion.

Source: Food Network mag. June 2016

Depends on the 'steak'.

A top quality rib-eye or NY Strip from my favorite butcher - no.

A top sirloin at an irresistible 'on sale' price at Vons that is fresh but all red with no marbling - yup.

Last edited:
Growing up, there was never any kind of steak sauce in the house, so I never developed a thought or taste for it on steak. My dad grew up as the eldest son in a cattle ranching family on a ranch established in 1900. He joined the Air Force instead of waiting to be drafted during the Vietnam conflict, so dad's younger brother ended up taking over the ranch. My dad ended up making a full career of the military, so as a result, I grew up as a city/suburban kid. However, the importance of beef was never in doubt. So, while my wife grew up with a steak sauce of some sort, I just can't get to it. I do, however like horseradish, and have found that a Mexican pico de gallo salsa is wonderful with a marinated steak. Otherwise, the classic combination of salt, pepper, and garlic (maybe butter) are the key to happiness.

I used to love A1 as a kid and young adult. The 10-Year Old Male Child To Whom I Am Related By Marriage ™️ loves it and begs for it on his meat. His sister has come to understand the nuances and flavorful experience of a good grilled cut with a good rub on it. Today, I only use it on a thin sliced steak sandwich...and sparingly.

I don't like steak sauce, but there is a steakhouse in Gatlinburg, TN that serves Worcestershire butter on one of their steaks and WOW, that's good stuff. Have not tried making it myself, but probably should.

Will you admit to liking steak sauce? I don't mean drowning a steak in steak sauce and I don't mean every time with every steak, of course.

But if you do likey, do you have a favorite?
My favorite steak sauce is homemade and butter base. You can never go wrong with butter

INGREDIENTS

8 tablespoons butter, melted

1 small shallot, finely minced

5 chives, finely minced

3 garlic cloves, minced

2-3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (the fresh kind in refrigerated section)

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme

pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste

salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

Melt the butter and whisk all ingredients till well combined.
Let the sauce sit for 10 minutes and whisk again. This will allow the butter to cool and thicken just a little.
Serve with your favorite steak!
Store leftovers in the fridge and reheat in 15 second intervals, stirring often, until just melted when ready to reuse!

We always had French's Worcestershire Sauce and A1 at the house when I was growing up. Mom fried every steak she saw, and used butter and the W-sauce in the pan. Dad liked A1 at the table, so we did too. I prefer 57 now, but only on 1) dry meat someone else ruined or 2) leftovers or 3) burgers, on occasion, or 4) cutlets (pork, breaded, mainly.)

My wife grew up with Daddies Sauce, which was her British father's favorite. She also likes HP. Neither of of use much if any sauce on good steaks cooked well.

1624403450850.png

Back