Who uses Meat Church rubs? What are your favorites?

I like Holy Cow quite a bit. The Holy Gospel is good, too. Deez Nuts is a little too much on the sweet side for my tastes but good.

I’ve tried the fajita one. Way WAY too salty
I find most of the commercial runs too salty, so I started making my own saltless rubs and salt the meats appropriately. For example, a pork butt can take a lot more salt than a rack of spares. The are a lot of easy recipes and most of the ingredients are readily available. (I do however keep a jar of McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning around for steak cuts that need a flavor boost.)

I find most of the commercial runs too salty, so I started making my own saltless rubs and salt the meats appropriately. For example, a pork butt can take a lot more salt than a rack of spares. The are a lot of easy recipes and most of the ingredients are readily available. (I do however keep a jar of McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning around for steak cuts that need a flavor boost.)
I really need to do that but have yet to make my own rubs or sauce. With kids and all that jazz I’m busy enough haha

I know there are a bazillion rubs out there and YMMV.

I bought the Ocho eight pack rub pack after hearing great things about them for years. I probably won't reorder after they are gone - none of them have wowed me. I guess if I'm going to buy a rub my tastes run to the Meathead and Slap Yo Daddy BBQ rubs. I'm also impressed with the Hey Grill Hey rub recipes.

I made my own rubs for decades but recently tried Meat Church Honey Hog. My family noticed, and liked, the change in flavor on Chicken, Pork Butt, and ribs. I don't apply a heavy coat of rub and the meat was not too salty for us. YMMV I have a jar of Holy Gospel waiting for me to try it.

Dizzy Pigs makes a salt-free version of Dizzy Dust, quite good. I make any homemade rubs without salt so I can apply separately at the rate I want.

With any rub you have to keep in mind how salty it is when you use it and adjust accordingly. How to do that can be tricky. Sometimes just tasting the rub can be deceiving. Usually it's the lower quality rubs that dump the salt in, because salt is cheap.

I bought up 6 different kinds in one shopping trip…..tried them a couple times and then gave them all away to people willing to take my things.
I don’t want to be mean but I don’t have a ton of love for meat church things…..I have my reasons.
As far as pre packed rubs n spices I have a couple different brands I do use on the regular….just a couple because they are very good and Oakridge who no longer exists is one of them. :cry:
They do make one I have not tried called “ deez nuts “……..pecan something or other.

I have actually been trying some Lane’s rub mix’s and sauces…the vinegar is great and the rubs are pretty good to be honest.

Back