Which Pellets Can I Use in SF?

Jon B

TVWBB Member
I read the FB FAQ and it says you can use any pellet brand. The Weber site FAQ says SF was designed for Weber pellets. In the early SF days it sounds like people tried to use Bear Mountain and then reported their augurs were whining and moaning or some such thing. PB pellets are supposed to have a larger diameter than Weber/LJ.

Three years later - are you till using WB and LJ to be on the safe side or does any brand work?

I'm running PB apple & pecan. It was on clearance for the last month at Walmart. $5. a bag for 20lbs. I got 200lbs. I went back for more yesterday but some idiot put them outside and they were all wet. I have no problems with the PB pellets. The price is right.:)

I'm running PB apple & pecan. It was on clearance for the last month at Walmart. $5. a bag for 20lbs. I got 200lbs. I went back for more yesterday but some idiot put them outside and they were all wet. I have no problems with the PB pellets. The price is right.:)
Great to hear. I like PB pellets too. You can't beat the price and I know my local Lowe's has them. I probably have at least one unopened 40lb bag of PB, maybe two.

$5 a bag was a steal. I can't believe they left them out in the rain.

I'm unable to find Weber or LJ around me anywhere anymore unless I want to ship it to the store. I used to be able to buy LJ at Dick's. Dick's seems to have gone all in on Camp Chef now.

Traeger also stated you could only use their pellets back when I got mine. That's mostly so you'll pay their premium price for mediocre pellets. While there may be small differences from brand to brand, they're all close enough to not cause any problems. I've used many different brands in my Traeger for over10 years.

My go to brand has been Pit Boss for the last few years. I like their Competition Blend and Post Oak. Good quality at a reasonable price. I recently bought a coupe bags of Expert Grill pellets and tried the Bold Blend (Hickory/Pecan) on a side of salmon in my Big Chief Smoker with great results. Will be trying those and the Five Star Blend (Hickory/Oak) in the Traeger and smoke tube soon. Regular price is $6.88 for 20# and $9.88 for 30#. That makes for some damn cheap fuel if they do as well as they did in the Big Chief.

Our grills tell us what we can use. My EX6 will eat anything I feed it. My EX4 auger moans if I feed it Bear Mountain. Weber pellets are made by Lumberjack in their Wisconsin plant. They are smaller in diameter than most other brands. Lumberjack brand, Weber, and Cabelas are all the same diameter. For my first 2.5 years with my Smokefire I used, primarily, Pit Boss and B&B. I now use Cabelas because I can get it shipped for free, good price, and it's delivered to my garage.

Our grills tell us what we can use. My EX6 will eat anything I feed it. My EX4 auger moans if I feed it Bear Mountain. Weber pellets are made by Lumberjack in their Wisconsin plant. They are smaller in diameter than most other brands. Lumberjack brand, Weber, and Cabelas are all the same diameter. For my first 2.5 years with my Smokefire I used, primarily, Pit Boss and B&B. I now use Cabelas because I can get it shipped for free, good price, and it's delivered to my garage.

Good to know. Any idea who is making Cabela's now? I read that years ago it was thought to be LJ, but then supposedly Traeger started making Cabela's pellet grills. I've never used them before, but for the price and the recommendations I see they are at the top of my list.

I can't get B&B around me - aren't those rebranded BBQr's delight? I'm a bit envious.

Been really pleased with the Sam's Club pellets and the Kirkland ones. At $14.99 or $12.99 respectively for 40# they're fantastic. So good I have never even bothered to look for others

Cabelas is decent. Not as much flavor as Green Mountain (my primary) or Weber, but the price is right.

Good to know. Any idea who is making Cabela's now? I read that years ago it was thought to be LJ, but then supposedly Traeger started making Cabela's pellet grills. I've never used them before, but for the price and the recommendations I see they are at the top of my list.

I can't get B&B around me - aren't those rebranded BBQr's delight? I'm a bit envious.
As far as I know Cabelas is still made by Lumberjack. Traeger pellets are larger than the pellets I have. I got my B&B at Academy Sports and Outdoors and I think they ship. I really like their Championship blend.

Last edited:
My Camp Chef will eat anything it's fed. I really don't have any strong favorites. I do like Pit Boss fruit blend and Camp Chef Competition Blend and Camp Chef Apple. Right now I have about 15 different bags of various pellets I picked up on sale. Will be trying those if it ever cools off around here. When it's 108 outside I'm inside.

Last edited:
We have a Rural King in Terre Haute (and supposedly getting a second, bigger one). I was always thankful that they carried Lumberjack, when all of a sudden all they had was their new house brand. The reviews on the house brand were HORRIBLE. I guess that this might show that there really is a difference in quality among the various brands. Rural King listened and has brought back Lumberjack. They are discounting and selling off their house brand junk. I wonder who made that for them????

Just about out of the Kirkland pellets, which have worked well in my SmokeFire. They had none at Costco today, so I'm on my way to Lowe's to get some PB competition blend. $14.99 for 40lbs - not as cheap as the Costco, but not too far off. Hoping to do a butt tomorrow.

Ran through most of the Costco pellets with zero issues. Same for a bag of Bear Mtn. Red White and BBQ.

I think the pellet grill sales must be taking off. Went to Home Dumpo today and as always checked out the grilling section. Pellet grills everywhere a few Chinese Junker grills, no Weber's and no pellets zero zippo nada. All the pellet bays were empty and as far as I could tell no sales on the pellets.

Yeah, honestly, both the Member's Mark pellets and Kirkland ones work great in both my grills, and give plenty of smoke (nice smoke). Happy with both. Happier with Kirkland because I like saving $2.00 per bag

Back