Which Genesis is this? (1993)

Wow, we recently have been treated to a number of beautiful redhead restorations. Great work on that! It would be so cool to see a group of them all together like you were at a grill store in the late 80’s or early 90’s!

The Weber Kettle Club has “meets” where people bring their kettles and have a big cookout and show and tell. I wish it was practical to do that for gas grills like this sharp example.

VERY nice looking grill! (y)

It came with an extra side table. Probably the side burner was added later on.
I have a Genesis 2. It came with a gas connector on the manifold for the optional side burner that turns it into a Genesis 3. Same for this Genesis 2000 > 3000 conversion.

Chris: I have noticed that a lot of Genesis 1000-5000 grills come with two taps on the manifold. I am working on a Skyline right now that has the extra tap with a plug in it. It is just a 1000. I know my personal 1000 has two extra taps on it......not sure why it has two. I think weber just did that to simplify production.

Yah Bruce, I noticed that too...manifolds from the 1000 always had the second tap for the side burner and, like you said, Weber probably did that to make it simpler when it came to production....I wonder why though they didn't do that with the Silver B manifolds because every Silver B manifold I saw did not have a second tap.

Sam: I guess their bean counters decided it was cheaper to only tap some of the manifolds twice instead of just doing them all and then having to spend the extra 50 cents on a plug for the extra tap on some of them.

Yah Bruce, I noticed that too...manifolds from the 1000 always had the second tap for the side burner and, like you said, Weber probably did that to make it simpler when it came to production....I wonder why though they didn't do that with the Silver B manifolds because every Silver B manifold I saw did not have a second tap.
In at least in the early days, I think Weber sold the side burner as a post-purchase add-an accessory so that necessitated it being able to be readily hooked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
In at least in the early days, I think Weber sold the side burner as a post-purchase add-an accessory so that necessitated it being able to be readily hooked up.
That is correct. When we bought our Genesis back in 93 the store we got it at sold them on the shelf as add ons

Beautiful Work!
Now let me ask: How much would you ask for it considering all the work you put into it?
I'm refurbishing a Genesis Spirit now and was just asking myself that question.
Your pictures make me ask, 'How far do you have to go to sell an old Weber as 'refurbished'?
New Everything?
Everything sandblasted clean or just wire brushed?
I'd like to do that kind of work, but with all new everything, no one will pay what it's worth.

Dave, There are lots of restore threads on this forum. Peruse a few of them. But, I will tell you this, it is hard to make a buck rehabbing Weber grills. There are constant decisions to be made: Do I throw out the old grates, flavorizer bars and burner tubes and buy new shiny ones, or do I just clean them up as best I can and be done with it. Do I totally clean the inside of the lid? Do I repaint the end caps and cook box, what about the frame? etc....... When I first started rehabbing grills, I was lucky to clear $50 on a grill after I added up the cost of the parts and supplies and that didn't include anything for my time and effort. I have gotten better now knowing what is worth replacing or how well to clean parts up to make it a little better return on investment, but in the end, I could probably make more working at McDonalds and not look like I clean chimneys for a living.
But, I enjoy it much better than flipping burgers.
If you check the stickies, you will find a thread that lists some of the better cost effective options for replacing grates, and flavorizer bars and burners as well as other replacement parts. With a nice set of SS Solid rod grates in that grill by ReinderE I am thinking $285 to $300 for that grill in my area. Maybe up to $325.

A new set a grates and you will be set to grill something.
Yes. I still have the old grates (porcelain coated steel) but would like to replace it for a cast iron version.
The only one that matches and is available here is the Weber gbs grate for Spirit 300. That one cost €129,- and I think is a lot of money.
I am not convinced about the added value of the GBS system. The prices of the GBS accesories are also very high, sure if you not gonna use it frequently.
Do you guys have any suggestions/experence with this?

I would go with a good set of SS Solid rod grates. I don't know if you have access to Amazon.com in the Netherlands but they have several cost effective options in the $50 US range.

Beautiful Work!
Now let me ask: How much would you ask for it considering all the work you put into it?
I'm refurbishing a Genesis Spirit now and was just asking myself that question.
Your pictures make me ask, 'How far do you have to go to sell an old Weber as 'refurbished'?
New Everything?
Everything sandblasted clean or just wire brushed?
I'd like to do that kind of work, but with all new everything, no one will pay what it's worth.

Hi Dave, sorry for my late reply.
Yeah, you're right. No one will pay that.
I refurbished it as a hobbyproject. If I should sell it I will never get a decent return of investment of the hours it took.
But hey, all the work is just part of the fun. And I am NEVER going to sell this grill.
The only new part is an ignitor kit (€15,-) and bolt and nuts (€5,-) and some paint.

Back