Where to find good pork ribs?

John_H

TVWBB Member
I smoked two huge slabs of pork ribs (not St. Louis cut) at a local grocery store. I thought I would trim them to be St. Louis cut but after opening the package the ribs weren't very long and I'd be cutting about 1/2 of the weight of the ribs if I cut them St. Louis style. I ended up smoking the ribs as they came out of the package and it seemed like there was so much fat. I also have a Sam's close but didn't see St. Louis cut ribs there. Does anyone have any tips on purchase St. Louis cut spare ribs? Thanks in advance and I hope this makes sense. I'm tired of getting all this extra meat. I'm looking for large ribs, St. Louis cut.

Find an old school butcher shop, it may be a little bit of a challenge but, it will be worth it in the long run. Real butchers are getting rarer and rarer. Now in these days of "Box Beef", someone at can tell you something about a side of beef takes a little detective work. There are really only maybe four in this town but, in your locale, I would hope your chances of finding some shops might be better.
When I was a kid there were at least eight "Hanging Beef" white tiled, chrome cased paper wrapping tied with string butchers in Kalamazoo, now? There are maybe two? Sad.

If you don't mind spending some money, the Compart Duroc ribs are pretty tasty. Just expect to spend a few shekels...

Our Costco has full spares, St. Louis spares and baby backs. I buy the BBs and they have always been great, can't say about the others but I've never had a bad cut of meat from Costco. So I would assume that the others would be great also.

Personally, I like the larger spare ribs and trim them myself.

I also smoke all the trimmings. Some are sampled along the way and the rest are pull to make "Pulled Rib" sandwiches.

been getting mine from costco, 3 racks per cryovac bag , they're usually good, and not enhanced. No full spares here

I don't do spares nor St. Louis but around here I do see St. Louis everyday at Kroger and Meijer. I live in the country and we are not picky, so I've never gone to a butcher, lol.

Personally, I like the larger spare ribs and trim them myself.

I also smoke all the trimmings. Some are sampled along the way and the rest are pull to make "Pulled Rib" sandwiches.

Me too. Rib tips are a specialty in Chicago. Spares are fatty but have alot of meat so I cook at a higher temp like 275-300.
Higher temps render the fat better IMO.

Tim

Not to hijack this but can you lead to a good link that I can educate myself on working with spares vs. the baby backs that I always buy?

I got some at Sams Club and they were great. Down here I can also get them at Publix grocery stores. I talk to their butcher when I want something special. I would imagine that you could talk to the butchers at Schnucks, Dierbergs. or Kroger and they could help you get what you want. Making friends with one of those guys can prove useful.

If I find spares on sale I trim them myself and eat the trimmings.

I've had consistently good results with Stater Brothers ribs.

But, I will cherry pick which racks I want from what is in the butcher case. And if none stand out, I do ask if they have any others that are 'prime' - I always say it's for a special occassion.

Back