Where do you put your pickle(s)?

This will have about as many opinions as a " what's the best charcoal " thread.
I make my burgers different all the time just to switch things up a bit.....from very basic to fried shrooms, bacon and blue cheese.
If there was only one way to have a burger for the rest of my life......that's simple.
Mustard and pickles....it doesn't matter what side of the bun touches it because it still tastes the same.
It's burger night tonight........the MRS will want fried shrooms and onions I bet....which also pairs perfectly with mustard and pickles.

All pickles are dill right????? What is a non dill pickle?
Brett could probably give you the technical version, but in my book, there are dill pickles, and "bread and butter pickles" and then "others". Dills are kind of sour and salty, bread and butter pickles have a sweet "twangy" flavor. Then there are others... some are really spicy, and so on. Wifey loves loves loves crunchy dill pickles. I'm far less particular about dill pickles, but I do prefer the sandwich slice (pickles sliced lengthwise, in planks). I'd probably never put a bread and butter pickle on my burger, but they're awesome when you dice them fine and put in your potato salad. Spicy pickles are fun once in a while as a snack. I like pickles in general, but rarely ever eat spear pickles because I have a texture issues with that middle section... Growing up, momma always used to buy gherkin pickles, and I liked them.... I guess that's all I got to say about pickles...
1656556539896.png

I like hot dogs with dill pickle slices arranged along the side of dog, with yellow mustard, pickle relish, and diced onions on top. Sometimes I feel like making rows of pickle slices on both sides. I am the only one in the family who puts pickle slices on their hot dogs.

I learned to add pickle slices to hot dogs from that same fast food restaurant that I mentioned above. They put pickle slices on one side of their hot dogs, but I do not remember whether the pickles were dill or sweet. It was too long ago, and the cashiers at the front counter were the ones who assembled hot dog orders. I worked on the back side of their station making the burgers, fries, etc.

I put my pickles on top of the cheeseburger. For me, It keeps the pickle more towards the center of every bite. That way you get the crunch with every chew. It's very much a mouthfeel/texture thing.

I feel like when they are on the bottom, it takes too long for the pickle to get to the back of the mouth, which is where the crunch comes from. I like my crunch to be in the first chomp or two.

The cheese and other ingredients also provides a barrier that protects the rest of the burger from getting soggy (especially the bun!). I have been known to actually dab the brine off pickles before adding them to my burger-- and I grow my own pickling cucumbers to make pickles specifically!

I would love to get into making my own pickles, but still haven't. I don't care where you put the pickles on a hamburger, but you have to have them if you like pickles. That being said, these are the absolute best pickles I have ever tasted on a hamburger. Screenshot_20220701-014715_Chrome.jpg

Not really into pickles. I think they good on Chick-fil-A sandwiches. Of course the secret there is the chicken is marinated in pickle juice. If they come on things I don't take them off, but I don't go out of my way to put them on anything.

I would love to get into making my own pickles, but still haven't. I don't care where you put the pickles on a hamburger, but you have to have them if you like pickles. That being said, these are the absolute best pickles I have ever tasted on a hamburger. (Image of Kroger pickle chips ad.)
We tried making our own pickles three different times and they did not turn out at all. We tried a commercial kit and also recipes from scratch. What we got each time was very far from "pickle". We gave up.

These days we buy Claussen pickles in the store. We preferred the Carnegie Deli pickles that they sold at Costco, but they were discontinued a few years ago. Since then, the actual Carnegie Deli in New York closed their business.

My favorite are the Del-Dixi or Best Maid hamburger dills, by far. Nothing fancy to them but they are good. I'm not big on fresh-packs for burgers.

I worked at a deli in high school and they sold Boars Head. Back then Boars Head didn’t sell in the grocery stores and they trained the places where their product was sold. They even had an academy in Brooklyn that you could go to. Their formula was

Mayo top mustard bottom. They said Mayo is an enhancer and mustard was too powerful bc of the top of your mouth taste buds.

Lettuce and tomato on top because it’s easier to end up with everything sliding off if you cut the sandwich with lettuce and tomato on the bottom.

Onion on top. Idr the reasoning.

Cheeses on top for the same sliding reason as lettuce tomato.

I don’t remember pickles but I would think on top of all toppings

I love a good pickle, however when I make a burger, I usually only go with seasoning, American cheese, onion & some form of heat. In this case I used roasted hatch peppers, Vidalia onion cheese & bacon. My choice of pickle, Nathans hot & spicy Kosher chips, really nice!

Attachments

• IMG_4302.jpg
    IMG_4302.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 3

Back