Where do you light your chimney?

Paul Pearson

TVWBB Super Fan
I usually fire up my chimney on the charcoal grate of my WSM for convenience, but it makes setting up for the minion method difficult without another place to temporarily set the burning chimney of coals while dumping the unlit in the WSM. I have tried setting it on the grate of the mid section but sometimes coals fall out and start the grass on fire.

I was curious what does everyone here do for their startup procedure?

I usually fire up my chimney on the charcoal grate of my WSM for convenience, but it makes setting up for the minion method difficult without another place to temporarily set the burning chimney of coals while dumping the unlit in the WSM. I have tried setting it on the grate of the mid section but sometimes coals fall out and start the grass on fire.

I was curious what does everyone here do for their startup procedure?

I use my performer to lite the chimney. Once dumped, I just set it back on the grate

That table looks interesting, never seen one like that before. I would like to get a grill some time soon but that could be a more portable option

I use the side burner on my gasser. Light it on there then if need be I set it back on there.

Last edited:
I have an old cookie sheet that I set on the on some paving blocks in the driveway (I do all my smoking on a concrete driveway, a friend burned his house down a few years ago with his smoker on the deck, wife informed me that she did not expect similar results if I was to continue my smoking habit), then put the chimney on top of that. Gives me a safe surface for those little bits of hot lump that fall through the bottom of the chimney while it is starting up. When I burn that sheet up, I'm going to look at an old cake pan with higher sides to better control those embers on windy days.

My OTG.
IMAG0651.jpg

Tim

Back