Where do you get your wood?

Ok so i bought a bag of apple and a bag of hickory at Home Depot. I'm not sure but i don't like the way the apple smells. It seems strong. I was just wondering if the reason is because i bought it Home Depot and not somewhere else.

can you smoke with fresh wood? or do you have to let it get seasoned?

green wood is ok as the quantities used are not for heat generation, just smoke. Thats why some people think soaking wood will delay the burn/more smoke.

As for the "strong", maybe you just got a fresh shipment
icon_wink.gif
. Nothing to worry about, just use less the next smoke.

Can always add more. Can't take out once adsorbed.

Round here I've never seen Apple or any fruit wood @ HD. Mesquite & Hickory are about it as far as chunks.

Tim

I get wood from friends that cut down trees in their yards. That takes care of Oak, Hickory, and Cherry. I only buy Apple and not very much especially now that I have Cherry. I'll be cutting down a Tangerine tree this winter and I'll try that in the smoker.

My neighbor does tree trimming and removal so it would be worth contacting one in your area and talk to him about getting smoke wood from his cutting. You would get local hardwood and that works.

Mike, never knew stores to carry anything but kiln-dried wood and it would be a first for me to see anything less than well seasoned on a store shelf.

My guess is that you smelled smoke from bad combustion and it eventually started smelling better, much sooner if it hadn't had the opportunity to catch fire before getting the cook going.

for THE BEST deal in town, try shopping doitbest.com
tax-free & free delivery to your neighborhood hardware store.
10 pound bags of apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite and pecan chips or chunks at 9 bucks a bag.
To order pecan, simply type in pecan chunks in the search box.

If you have to pay for it, the doitbest.com deal that Jim describes is probably the best deal. For me, the goal is to not pay for wood. Look for trees being trimmed in your area, ask friends, go out after a storm . . . A friend of mine cut down a cherry tree and I'll have about all the cherry I'll ever need. My father in law cut down an apple tree and I got a good amount there. He also lost a hickory tree to a storm so I'm set for life on that too.

You might also try adding your location to your profile so that if other members know of a store or fallen tree in the area they can let you know.

well,... now i see doitbest does not carry smoke wood anymore, at least, the link above sends you to a page stating "Your search found 0 items"...
icon_frown.gif

Here in Western Washington, downed alder is everywhere. For variety, I use a bag of wood pellets from Cash n Carry. Here at Cash n Carry they sell about five different types of wood extruded pellets from apple to Hickory, and I find it very convenient and easy to use. You can be very exacting and precise with the amount of smoke with pellets, and adding just a bit of smoke to fish, ham, or chicken is a breeze.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
well,... now i see doitbest does not carry smoke wood anymore, at least, the link above sends you to a page stating "Your search found 0 items"...
icon_frown.gif

The link works for me.

Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
icon_frown.gif
The link works for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>thanks Jerry, I see it is working now... i was kinda shocked yesterday when it do not.

Living in Toronto I don't have easy access to hardwoods. That means I have no friends with those types of trees and am too lazy to find more friends. I buy mine precut at Smokinlicious.com. It's not the cheapest but they have a great selection and deliver fast and accurately.

Mike,

Free wood is always best. If you are ever near a fruit orchard, stop and ask them for any free "dead branches" they might have. Another source for me is my golf course where there are some pecan trees. The grounds super gives me whatever he trims from those trees.

Ray

Back