Where are you buying your Spares?

Bryon Piequet

TVWBB Fan
I have pretty much only done BB ribs for the past couple years. I want to try some spare ribs, Costco has some of the Spares cut St. Louis style. Any specific weight range per rack I should look for? I saw some at the butcher that were just huge, I was thinking those will take forever to cook and would barely fit on the 18.5, no that I picked up a 22.5 also that should be no issue.

Don't have a Costco, so I usually buy mine either at Sam's or Publix, local grocer, when they have them on sale. All seem to be about the same size that just barely fit in the center of my 22. If cooking several I will cut off about two on the small end so that the outer ones lie flat, as I usually foil, so I need flat rather than curled up like some do on the 18. I cook mine in the 5.5 hour range............................d

Bryon, I have been getting mine from Costco. They seem pretty consistent. But I use a rib rack because I have the 18.5 as well. I have also rolled the ribs - both ways work well. I forget what the weight range is, I usually go for $22 range. BUT I LOOK at them ALL. Good luck.

My Costco sells the St Louies with 3 in a pack, that's all I've ever seen there. I look at a bunch too and usually go with the heaviest package I can find. Costco's ribs are decent too.

My Costco sells the St Louies with 3 in a pack, that's all I've ever seen there. I look at a bunch too and usually go with the heaviest package I can find. Costco's ribs are decent too.

I find that the bigger the slabs, the more the ends get overcooked when fitting three on the grate, but is there any particular reason you look for the heaviest packs?

I find that Swift (Costco) and IBP (Sam's and Restaurant Depot) seem to both be pretty good. I prefer to trim my own, but Swift and IBP St. Louies are ok if the price is right.

Last ones I bought were from Costco and they were good, although a bit on the thin side really. Were a bit dry but still good none-the-less.

Costco has good meat though, I get all I can when I'm there and freeze it for later use.

Bryon,

Sams or (since your in SoCal...) Stater Bros.
If you're in the Inland Empire... Hottinger Family Meats in Chino

Bob

I get them from my local market, some times trimmed to SL but most of the time whole.

Tim

I like the St. Louis style from Costco. They are already trimmed so remove the membrane and they are ready to go. I buy all my meat at costco but I am feeding a family of 7.

I usually pick up full spares since they'll cheaper and almost always on sale somewhere, and trim them so St. Louis. I rarely pay over $2/lb for spares.

Baby backs, OTOH, I find them the cheapest at Restaurant Depot for $2.47/lb., and that's almost a whole dollar/lb cheaper than Costco.

We have a Shop N Save here in town and I buy my ribs there. They are always good quality,
and their prices blow the big chains out of the water.

We cook Farmland. Great quality if you can find them. We try to get an untrimmed slab(single) that weighs 5 lbs. They fit on a 22 and I figure the ends that get burned are protecting the remaining ribs.

As an old Farmland employee I agree with last poster.... Not quite as widespread but when you can find them I put them in the cart. Good company and products

I got three racks of spares yesterday at Meijers for a little over $3 a lb already St Louis trimmed that I'm going to cook Sunday. I know spares can be had for less money, but I always throw away the stuff I trim off because I just don't like messing with all of the gnarly, grisly stuff so I figure cost wise it's probably about even since I won't be throwing a couple pounds of trimmings in the garbage.

The packages are also labelled as being non-enhanced, which I prefer.

Kroger, usually. They just seem to have the best prices. I don't buy St. Louis', though, I prefer to buy whole spares and then trim them up to St. Louis myself. You usually get more for your money, and the tips make for tasty appetizers.

I usually get mine from Sams, but sometimes Costco. I always get the whole slab and trim them St. Louis style myself. It is fairly simple, saves money, and then I can smoke the trimmings for snacks.

Back