When you want breakfast for dinner

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
You need to heat up a griddle!

Used some of the clarified butter that I made in this thread: Just to Clarify

To help the taters along I peeled them, diced them then par boiled them in salted water for 10 minutes. Shocked them in cold water and rinsed until the water cleared. Then dried and tossed in a bit of olive oil.

One of the biggest mistakes most make when trying to make fried taters is not letting the griddle come up to temp prior to starting your cook. I started the griddle when I started prepping the taters. This gave the griddle a good 20 minutes to come to temp. The other mistake is using too high a temp. I ran the BS on the lowest setting which I've found to be the best setting for tater and eggs. Third mistake is trying to flip the taters too soon. I have to walk away for 10 or so or not have a spatula near the griddle. I don't put any other oil down only starting with what was tossed on the taters initially. When you flip is when I add a bit more oil, in this case clarified butter. Again let them be and walk away. All in all from peeling the taters to frying the eggs and plating the whole process took 50 minutes, just to give you an idea on total time.

The BS wasn't super level so I needed to use a potato dam to contain them until they firmed up enough.

50404765857_99b5e60a50_c.jpg

50403907068_ea9de552d0_c.jpg

Nice I love breakfast for dinner.................................. I am one that turns taters into mush I will test out your process!!!!

I have the 28" Blackstone and love it but I am seriously looking into the table top. The 28 is sometimes to much of a PIA to bust out for small cooks.

Breakfast for dinner is a standby for me! I always have a can of hash around. Last night it was a ham and cheese omelette!
French toast is another delight.
I like the “potato dam”, Case.

Nice I love breakfast for dinner.................................. I am one that turns taters into mush I will test out your process!!!!

I have the 28" Blackstone and love it but I am seriously looking into the table top. The 28 is sometimes to much of a PIA to bust out for small cooks.

Thank you!

When I was looking at them I initially was going to get the 17". This one was on sale at HD and when I got there they only had one left. The box was damaged so I got even more off. It was a killer deal. I am glad now that I went with the 22". I use a bunch of the real estate when cooking stir fry and fajitas. It's also nice being able to turn off half and use it as a warming surface while cooking on the other half. I should mention that most of my cooks are for two-three. I have cooked for 20-30 people too.

Breakfast for dinner is a standby for me! I always have a can of hash around. Last night it was a ham and cheese omelette!
French toast is another delight.
I like the “potato dam”, Case.

Thank you! The "hash dam" has been employed before. If you're cooking ham or Canadian bacon you can cut out a ring from the outer edge and use it as an egg form too. Then you have a ring of ham around the egg which is neat for presentation. Similar to using bread like in a One eyed Jack.

We used to do breakfast for dinner a lot but certainly not recently. Have to cook up some ideas and do it again.
Thanks for the reminder.

Nicely done. The Blackstone sure seems like a useful tool.

Thank you. We really use it quite a bit at home & camping. If I had to take only one piece of cooking equipment with me camping this would be at the top of my list. And yes you can set a pot on it an boil water if needed.

We used to do breakfast for dinner a lot but certainly not recently. Have to cook up some ideas and do it again.
Thanks for the reminder.

We dont do it as often as we used to. But every now and then it hits the spot.

How do keep the Critters from attacking your Blackstone? Nice cook!
At home I keep it clean and store it indoors. When Camping I clean it after every meal and cover it with the cover it came with. Never had an issue with critters. A ground squirrel tries to absconded with our salt shaker last camp trip. My dogs were having none of that!

Breakfast for dinner....Yes Please

That looks great Case, we did chili cheese omelettes topped with sliced avocado and foil wrapped campground spuds the other night.
I also turn potatoes into mush, but now ill have to try it your way.

Thanks Case for making us better cooks....

Case are you just air drying the potatoes, or quick dry with a paper towel or such?
If I have time I will lay them out on a baking sheet and place in the fridge overnight.
These I just tossed in a kitchen towel and let dry for a few minutes.

Breakfast for dinner....Yes Please

That looks great Case, we did chili cheese omelettes topped with sliced avocado and foil wrapped campground spuds the other night.
I also turn potatoes into mush, but now ill have to try it your way.

Thanks Case for making us better cooks....

Thank you. When I camp I don’t par boil the taters. I takes a really long time though to get them nice and brown. Probably an hour on the flat top.
I’ll make a batch of non-par boiled taters this weekend one morning just to see how long they actually take.

Back