When people want different proteins

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
It’s just one of those days where the idea of grilling surpasses menu planning.

Some wanted dry rubbed chicken and some wanted sausages with peppers on baguette.

So I just cook both meals at once.

1681696729628.jpeg

1681696757394.jpeg

Just sending up smoke signals.

1681696784747.jpeg

Sides are corn on the cob, fresh veggies salad and wine. Wine is fruit, right?

Last edited:
Looks great Brett!

Mixed protein cooks are fairly common for us when we have a crowd over for Q. One daughter seldom eats red meat, the wife and I are pork rib lovers and, inevitably, there's at least one who strongly prefers beef. If the crowd includes kids, I usually plan on dogs and/or burgers just to be safe. Luckily, this only happens once or twice a year. About ready to decide on a menu and tell people what's for supper when inviting them. They can choose to come or not.

Sausage looks great, but you forgot to toast your buns, LOL
Fresh Costco baguette. Nice and crunchy outside and supple inside. The bread absorbed the sausage fat as I compressed this sando to get it into my pie hole. The onions were softened just enough which brought out their natural sweetness. I’ll cook them this way again. Results were 10/10.

Looks great Brett!

Mixed protein cooks are fairly common for us when we have a crowd over for Q. One daughter seldom eats red meat, the wife and I are pork rib lovers and, inevitably, there's at least one who strongly prefers beef. If the crowd includes kids, I usually plan on dogs and/or burgers just to be safe. Luckily, this only happens once or twice a year. About ready to decide on a menu and tell people what's for supper when inviting them. They can choose to come or not.
I usually avoid doing this due to different done times. I try to run a backyard bbq and not a restaurant. But this cook was fairly easy. And I was grateful just to be outside in the sun.

The beauty of having enough real estate! I have multi protein feasts often!
Plenty of real estate here too. Traeger, 2 22" kettles (one with a Santa Maria attachment) and a massive NG grill w/rotisserie. Also have access to 3 other grills I've given to the guy next door over the last few years. I'm just tired of cooking what people want and having them reciprocate with whatever they feel like cooking.

Need to start a grumpy old man thread :)

Plenty of real estate here too. Traeger, 2 22" kettles (one with a Santa Maria attachment) and a massive NG grill w/rotisserie. Also have access to 3 other grills I've given to the guy next door over the last few years. I'm just tired of cooking what people want and having them reciprocate with whatever they feel like cooking.

Need to start a grumpy old man thread :)
Yep, between the “Overperformer”, the 22” (which will be the roti unit, soon), the Platypus, the WSM, and small grills, I think I’ve got plenty of real estate. I’ve got a big cook coming and will set the ”Overperformer“ for straight indirect, the platypus will go Vortex. Not sure what else I will press into service.
I get a little tired of inviting and not getting any reciprocal actions by just about anyone.

I get a little tired of inviting and not getting any reciprocal actions by just about anyone.
it's not like you'll eat their food anyway. very few people cook something worth eating. hamburgers and hot dogs aren't my faire when being invited out for a bbq. unless of course, its a freshly ground blended burger. then i'm listening and attending.

it's not like you'll eat their food anyway. very few people cook something worth eating. hamburgers and hot dogs aren't my faire when being invited out for a bbq. unless of course, its a freshly ground blended burger. then i'm listening and attending.
Well, there is one guy that has the gumption to invite me now and then, and he’s a fine grill driver!
You have an open invitation Timothy.

I'll be making KCBS tofu 😉 but I'll smoke a tri tip along with it.

Swing by and pickup Bob on the way.
Really, you guys don’t actually count, I’m planning a very convoluted road trip to see a whole bunch of you folks! I’ll just show up one of these days! Thank you!

Back