When it Rains it Pours

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Decided I had to take a chance and make some bacon as we were getting really low. With the unpredictable monsoons and the Camp Chef pellet grill sitting out in the open mixing the Camp Chefs electronics with rain was not a good combination. Forecast said no rain until late afternoon so I fired the CC up at 160 low smoke and hoped for the best.

Started at 9am and at 11am guess what I heard, the plink plink of rain drops. Went outside and it was looking ugly so I dragged the CC with it running up onto the covered patio. As soon as I got it on the patio it really started pouring and did for about an hour.

Uneventful cook after that. Used Camp Chef apple for the smoke and at 2pm the bacon hit 140 and I took it off.

We did a ten pound belly and got thirty bags with six slices each all vacuum sealed so we are good for a few months.

101_7016 (1).JPG

101_7025.JPG

101_7029.JPG

101_7022.JPG

101_7031.JPG

101_7034.JPG

Looks great Rich.

Can't find any decent bellies around here, so I've been making buckboard bacon. Almost out of that too. Life ain't worth living without bacon, so need to prioritize processing some pig. The garden has slowed considerably, so now just need some room in one of the fridges.

Rich

Thats some wonderful looking bacon, you two are stocked up for awhile.👍👍

Looks great! Send rain our way we need it!
Strange how things turn around. This time last year I was asking you to send some rain to us. Our kids still live in California and tell us all the time how dry and Smokey it is. Because of the covid we haven't been back to see them in about three years now.

That is simply beautiful. Despite the challenges, looks like it turned out great, and I'm sure you could use the rain.

Looks great Rich, glad to hear you got a little rain at least.
Had a nice country drive today, picked some great fruit for the upcoming week!

Decided I had to take a chance and make some bacon as we were getting really low. With the unpredictable monsoons and the Camp Chef pellet grill sitting out in the open mixing the Camp Chefs electronics with rain was not a good combination. Forecast said no rain until late afternoon so I fired the CC up at 160 low smoke and hoped for the best.

Started at 9am and at 11am guess what I heard, the plink plink of rain drops. Went outside and it was looking ugly so I dragged the CC with it running up onto the covered patio. As soon as I got it on the patio it really started pouring and did for about an hour.

Uneventful cook after that. Used Camp Chef apple for the smoke and at 2pm the bacon hit 140 and I took it off.

We did a ten pound belly and got thirty bags with six slices each all vacuum sealed so we are good for a few months.

View attachment 36318

View attachment 36319

View attachment 36320

View attachment 36321

View attachment 36322

View attachment 36323
Do you want to share your recipe? I can understand if you don’t want to.

Do you want to share your recipe? I can understand if you don’t want to.
Sure, always willing to share my recipes.
This is a recipe that stared with Bob Correll for WSMs that I modified for use with my pellet grill and using buckboard bacon cure instead of Morton's Tender Quick..

Making Bacon on the Camp Chef

Curing

Follow the directions for Buckboard Bacon Cure
1TBS + 1 ¼ TSP. per pound of meat.
Apply cure and the slurry or seasoning you want if doing so after the cure is applied.
Seal in a container or airtight bag and place in the refrigerator
Cure for seven days turning every other day.
On the eighth day drain any fluid out of the containers and rinse the pork and container, fill the container with cold water and soak for 20 minutes, do this three times.
After soaking put the bacon on a rimmed baking pan with a cooling rack underneath the bacon.
Place in the refrigerator overnight.
Next morning repeat the slurry or seasoning if desired before smoking.

Slurry

1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 /2 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
This is enough to do a whole pork belly

Smoking

Set the camp chef on low smoke 165.
Place the pork on baking sheets with a cooling rack between the baking pan and the pork.
When the thermometer reaches 140 which depending on the size of your pork it will take about 6 hours to reach 140.
Shut down the Camp Chef and remove the bacon and place it in a water proof trash bag and place the bag in a large bucket of ice water to chill it down for about 20-30 minutes.
When chilled place the bacon on a baking pan with a cooling rack in the refrigerator overnight and slice in the morning.

Slicing

Set blade on the Beswood to 3 1/2

Sure, always willing to share my recipes.
This is a recipe that stared with Bob Correll for WSMs that I modified for use with my pellet grill and using buckboard bacon cure instead of Morton's Tender Quick..

Making Bacon on the Camp Chef

Curing

Follow the directions for Buckboard Bacon Cure
1TBS + 1 ¼ TSP. per pound of meat.
Apply cure and the slurry or seasoning you want if doing so after the cure is applied.
Seal in a container or airtight bag and place in the refrigerator
Cure for seven days turning every other day.
On the eighth day drain any fluid out of the containers and rinse the pork and container, fill the container with cold water and soak for 20 minutes, do this three times.
After soaking put the bacon on a rimmed baking pan with a cooling rack underneath the bacon.
Place in the refrigerator overnight.
Next morning repeat the slurry or seasoning if desired before smoking.

Slurry

1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 /2 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
This is enough to do a whole pork belly

Smoking

Set the camp chef on low smoke 165.
Place the pork on baking sheets with a cooling rack between the baking pan and the pork.
When the thermometer reaches 140 which depending on the size of your pork it will take about 6 hours to reach 140.
Shut down the Camp Chef and remove the bacon and place it in a water proof trash bag and place the bag in a large bucket of ice water to chill it down for about 20-30 minutes.
When chilled place the bacon on a baking pan with a cooling rack in the refrigerator overnight and slice in the morning.

Slicing

Set blade on the Beswood to 3 1/2
Thank you, sir.

Back