What would you do?

Since I've gotten back into BBQ, I've been cooking 4 nights a week for the two of us (me and my wife.) I usually do three different recipes during the week, then on Sunday I do a pizza.

This afternoon, while discussing last night's pork chop recipe, my wife tells me that I'm a better cook than she is, and — this is a verbatim quote — "you can buy any BBQ thing you want!"

So...if you were given that kind of free reign, what would you do?

Last edited:
I would look really hard at the Weber Summit E6.
That one is already on my wish list. And, interestingly enough, a Summit Kamado came up on Craigslist a couple of days ago. It's not an E6, it's one of the original models with the side-mounted gas assist. It is unused (assembled, but never fired up — still has the plastic wrap on the handle) and the seller is asking $1300. That strikes me as a "wait for it to drop under $1k" price; what do you think?

Depends on what you have now.
Apparently my sig doesn't show up on mobile devices...so, I have a Master Touch and a Genesis 3000. I'm hoping to add another gasser this weekend (since we can't burn charcoal during the heat of the summer, I need a backup summer grill.) The rest of the year I use a kettle (replaced my old rusted daisy-wheel with the Master Touch earlier this year.)

Besides, this is "what would you do?" I don't want your thoughts constrained by what I already have, so I'm more interested in what you'd pick for yourself if you were given carte blanche — and why.

I'm hoping to learn from what others have done/would do. It might inspire me to make changes in what I have now, to better fit something I might want.

Last edited:
Well, Grant, it sounds like you are doing pretty well with what you have. (y)
As far as the CL Summit Kamato, if were me, I would let them set on it a while. I wouldn't feel bad if it got away. I would be a buyer in about the $750 range, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I asked mainly because it would be pointless if everyone hopped on and said, for example, a Summit Charcoal/Kamado, and you already had one. Wouldn’t help much at all.

If we’re talking new, I think I’ll be adding a Summit Kamado to complement my Summit Charcoal, mainly for baking and such. A 36” Ranch, and Smokefire round out the new wishlist.

Old.....many.

That one is already on my wish list. And, interestingly enough, a Summit Kamado came up on Craigslist a couple of days ago. It's not an E6, it's one of the original models with the side-mounted gas assist. It is unused (assembled, but never fired up — still has the plastic wrap on the handle) and the seller is asking $1300. That strikes me as a "wait for it to drop under $1k" price; what do you think?
The one without the table, like the E6? I wouldn’t spend more than $1049 for it, no tax, and confirm it’s not been registered so you get the warranty. That’s a reasonable deal in my eyes.

If we’re talking new, I think I’ll be adding a Summit Kamado to complement my Summit Charcoal, mainly for baking and such.
The Kamado for its superior temperature regulation?

A 36” Ranch, and Smokefire round out the new wishlist.
Why a Smokefire? I've never even considered a pellet grill (even though I live in Traeger Country, and MAK Grills is a short drive away...)

Apparently my sig doesn't show up on mobile devices...so, I have a Master Touch and a Genesis 3000. I'm hoping to add another gasser this weekend (since we can't burn charcoal during the heat of the summer, I need a backup summer grill.) The rest of the year I use a kettle (replaced my old rusted daisy-wheel with the Master Touch earlier this year.)

Besides, this is "what would you do?" I don't want your thoughts constrained by what I already have, so I'm more interested in what you'd pick for yourself if you were given carte blanche — and why.

I'm hoping to learn from what others have done/would do. It might inspire me to make changes in what I have now, to better fit something I might want.
If you don’t have and need a nearby work surface, I’d get the S6. If you don’t need the table, an E6. I looked at both SFs and decided it wasn’t how I wanted to cook. I have a Summit S670 gasser and was seeking a grill-smoker combo, and I was planning on selling my WSM 18, so the E6 was the best of many worlds. Example, I like to gently smoke a tri tip and then hit it with direct heat for some char right before pulling it off the grill. My WSM made this difficult, but I still did it.

I nixed the 26 kettle due to the E6 being extremely coal efficient. And I didn’t need to mod an E6 in any way because it came with everything I’d need (sans a 2nd coal grate).

Hope this offers you some perspective on how I got to my E6 decision. I remain incredibly happy with my decision.

If it was I that was given a free reign I would get myself a top self gravity smoker. Something like a Stumps, or an Assassin smoker.

If you don’t have and need a nearby work surface, I’d get the S6. If you don’t need the table, an E6. I looked at both SFs and decided it wasn’t how I wanted to cook. I have a Summit S670 gasser and was seeking a grill-smoker combo, and I was planning on selling my WSM 18, so the E6 was the best of many worlds. Example, I like to gently smoke a tri tip and then hit it with direct heat for some char right before pulling it off the grill. My WSM made this difficult, but I still did it.

I nixed the 26 kettle due to the E6 being extremely coal efficient. And I didn’t need to mod an E6 in any way because it came with everything I’d need (sans a 2nd coal grate).

Hope this offers you some perspective on how I got to my E6 decision. I remain incredibly happy with my decision.
Are you a rotisserie fan? The only issue I have with the Kamado is the lack of a (good) rotisserie kit; for that, I'd need to keep the kettle.

I'm in the process of building a dedicated BBQ shelter — 8'x10', with a 12x12 roof (lots of overhang). It will have shelves/work surfaces, so I won't need much in that way.

Leveling the ground this weekend — about half done with that — then I lay out the holes for the posts and start building. Floor will be simple packed gravel, which is preferable to just about anything else because we have severe frost heave issues.

Call Weber customer service and ask if it’s been registered. Let them know it’s a floor model and you’re doing your due diligence. Don’t tell them it’s a private party sale.
Am I remembering correctly that there were some teething issues with those first Summits — or am I thinking of the bad carts on the early E6 models?

Are you a rotisserie fan? The only issue I have with the Kamado is the lack of a (good) rotisserie kit; for that, I'd need to keep the kettle.
I used to be when I had time. I have a roto on my summit and have never used it. I guess with age I’ve become lazy. I’m into kebabs these days. Minced meats on steel sticks and cooking the meat over coals. That’s where I burn some personal time. I’m trying to perfect my skills on these 🙏

Why not rake out and level you pad area, add 3/4” crushed gravel and then top with sand and do pavers (with a containing border). This way you’ll have the drainage and be above grade when frost hits. Just a suggestion. This way you’ll get a very/mostly flat deck surface.

Back