What would you do?

That's a good question. We live in a forest protection zone, and the rules only state (this is from memory, so may not be the exact verbiage) that "open flames are prohibited" but that "liquid or gas fuels are allowed".

Keep in mind that should I have a pellet grill, and it happened to let loose a spark that starts a wildfire, since it ISN'T one of the "allowed" fuel exceptions I'd be billed for the entire cost of fighting the fire. So I tend to be very cautious!

how many months of the year are the fire rules in place?

how many months of the year are the fire rules in place?
Depends on the year. This was a bad year; they went into effect in early June and are likely to run to mid-October, which is about when the fall rains get started. In a good year they run from mid-July through the end of September.

Last edited:
If my wife insist that I can buy anything that I want, the first thing that I would do would be immediately suspicious as to what she was getting ready to buy.
Luckily, I don't have that problem. Neither one of us spends money needlessly (my wife doesn't care for jewelry, and since we live in the woods fashionable clothing isn't a priority), and when we do make a major (over $50) purchase, it's only after agreeing on it.

I'm a bit surprised given the name of the site that no one has mentioned a Weber Smokey Mountain. With a chimney starter and a propane torch I think you could work around the "no open flame" restriction. The charcoal in the WSM does not generally create open flame unless the smoke wood catches fire, but then it's way down at the bottom, unseen and unlikely to kick off embers that would escape the cooker. Even if only for wet season use, it would still be a nice addition.

Aside from that, I'd be more inclined to work around the edges with tools and gadgets. My Weber Kettle is starting to show its age but I'm still not strongly motivated to replace it. I don't think an upscale model would make me a better cook. Of course, most of the gadgets I've purchased have been for use with charcoal. I've never had a gas grill so I can't speak to what might be useful there.

Guga Foods has used these wireless temperature probes in many of his videos. I've never heard him mention a brand or talk about them other than to insert them on camera, but they look very slick. If you do steaks very often they might be a nice addition.

There are also a whole bunch of wireless/wifi temperature monitoring gizmos. I'm partial to the ThermoWorks products but there are many others. (Only buy ThermoWorks direct from the manufacturer. Everyone else marks them up ridiculously.)

Sadly given lack of support from Weber re my Summit. I seriously doubt I would drop a load of $$$ on anything from them. Once burned twice shy. If gas, I would be looking for something from either a really inexpensive one that won't break my heart to send to a landfill or one made by a company that uses all stainless (real stainless) throughout the construction.
If a coal burner perhaps a PK. I have seen too many of the high end ceramic cookers crack. A high quality gas grill is the most versatile tool an outdoor chef can have IMO.

Sadly given lack of support from Weber re my Summit. I seriously doubt I would drop a load of $$$ on anything from them. Once burned twice shy. If gas, I would be looking for something from either a really inexpensive one that won't break my heart to send to a landfill or one made by a company that uses all stainless (real stainless) throughout the construction.
If a coal burner perhaps a PK. I have seen too many of the high end ceramic cookers crack. A high quality gas grill is the most versatile tool an outdoor chef can have IMO.
any link to read about your issue(s) with Weber? just curious.

I love my Webers, but maybe my MAK more 😉. With total free reign I’d shoot high first. But it all depends on what you want to really do and how much work. For easy, a really nice pellet grill. For just smoking if I want to play with the fire a Franklin or a KBQ. For all around charcoal a Weber Kamado or M-Grills M1.

any link to read about your issue(s) with Weber? just curious.
In the gas grill section. Let's just say they let me done big time. While it was in warranty they quit supporting it. Then in order to "make it up to me" they gave me a coupon to buy a new Genesis II series grill but based on their coupon I could have bought one cheaper walking into any store I chose. It's a long painful saga I don't care to fully rehash

This thread, in some respects, really makes me appreciate my g/f more and more, as she's an enabler. Insists that the house buy stuff that I thoroughly appreciate like a gas stove to replace the glass-top electric that came with the house, home brewing equipment, and more or less beat me around the head & neck to get me moving on building my monster smoker. Just a few examples, and there certainly is a self-serving motivation behind a lot of these, she does reap the benefits of my cooking (MUCH better on gas,) making beer, smoked food, grilled food, etc.

If your S.O. says go buy what you want...... make sure they appreciate it.

I love my Webers, but maybe my MAK more 😉. With total free reign I’d shoot high first. But it all depends on what you want to really do and how much work. For easy, a really nice pellet grill. For just smoking if I want to play with the fire a Franklin or a KBQ. For all around charcoal a Weber Kamado or M-Grills M1.
The M-Grill M1 is so cool and is there at the top of my dream list.

I would buy a $1500 Meadow Creek Grill for grilling chicken or a $4200 Komodo Kamado for patio decoration. They have a sea blue one, not pictured here but this one is close.

Or I would bribe Chris A for that 14" Glen Blue WSM.
1631654705452.png
1631655004376.png

Thanks for all the replies. After careful thought about what we do now, what we want to do, space available, fire season, etc....here's what I think we need:

1) Another charcoal burner. The Mastertouch is wonderful, but I'd like something that will burn longer and have more controllable temps during the winter. A Summit kamado has thus made it to the "will buy" list (and I expect it to become the primary "non-fire-season" grill). Watching for a used one as we speak.

2) Another LP grill. My Genesis 3000 is still in great shape and very serviceable; it makes a great rotisserie machine, and the temps are very controllable — to the point of making decent bread. However, it doesn't sear all that well (all those flavorizers really soak up the heat that reaches the grates) and the baking temps top out at about 550 deg (I'd like to do some really hot pizza baking).

So, I'm shopping for a second gasser that will meet those needs. In addition, it needs to be good quality (we're on the wet side of Oregon; while the grill will be out of the rain, it's damp here at least 6 months out of the year — want something that isn't known for rotting out.) Want to buy used, and am open to Weber and non-Weber models. Suggestions (other than Broilmaster, which I already know about)? Looking to keep the used price under $500.

Last edited:
1) Another charcoal burner. The Mastertouch is wonderful, but I'd like something that will burn longer and have more controllable temps during the winter. A Summit kamado has thus made it to the "will buy" list (and I expect it to become the primary "non-fire-season" grill). Watching for a used one as we speak.
Congrats, welcome to the Kamado side and good luck on finding a used WSC of any sorts. I tried for 8 months to buy one and failed 2x; once when the seller decided to keep the WSC (it was her son's who elected to not sell at the last minute) and one that was over 200 miles away on the CA North coast that sold before I could even rent a Uhaul to get it.

I just broke down and bought the E6 new to get all the warranty and ownership benefits as used pricing was nearly the same as a new E6 so I bought the value of the manufacturer warranty. DO LOOK FOR a WSC at your local ACE, floor model, that they will part with for a small discount. I nearly did this as well but elected to jus buy the E6 because I have zero need/desire for a gas assist starter (one more dang thing to buy, feed and manage).

So, I'm shopping for a second gasser that will meet those needs. In addition, it needs to be good quality (we're on the wet side of Oregon; while the grill will be out of the rain, it's damp here at least 6 months out of the year — want something that isn't known for rotting out.) Want to buy used, and am open to Weber and non-Weber models. Suggestions (other than Broilmaster, which I already know about)? Looking to keep the used price under $500.
Your situation sounds like mine did prior to my E6 purchase. My primary grills were WSM 18 and Summit S670. Clear differences in use and functions. Sold the WSM and got the E6 so I could charcoal grill and smoke. And I use the S670 for.... nothing now. I've grilled eggplants 1x last week to make babaganoush on the S670 which is its only, and first time use since Father's day when I got my E6.

Now mind you. The S670 has an incredible sear burner which I can proudly say turns out an amazing steak and lamb racks. I've also used the S670 for my pizza steel in the past which, again, it creates some amazing heat for pizza cooking.

HOWEVER, I've since moved my searing to the E6, suing the non-Weber cast iron grate on amazon, and I make even better seared meats now than the S670 did.

AND, the E6 cranks out incredible pizzas too. So I no longer use the S670 for searing meats or pizza making. The E6 got my steel up to (we estimate because I didn't have an IR reader yet, but do now) in excess of 750° which enabled me to scorch a pizza in 75 seconds. I fully mean burnt. Carbon bottom of pizza. Inedible. Amazing to see but not good to eat.

So, the E6 will do everything you need except allow you to cook in your no open fire season.

Any gasser you'd get I'd recco you get should have a sear burner and high quality stainless steel grates. I'd get one of these if I was in the market, and get the stainless grates: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/d/elk-grove-weber-genesis-ii-burner/7369701628.html

Hope this gives you some additional perspective. IMO, pizza on the E6 is amazing and I add wood chunks on the cooking grate which create some smoke and help produce that wood fired pizza nose and taste I was specifically seeking.

And you should be able to get a 3/8" 14.5" x 16" A36 steel plate made for around $60 from a local fab shop. Or you could buy one on Amazon for $130....

for a gasser for high temps and searing, I really like my E-330. I cook pizza on it at 600+F, and it has a side burner that I use a fair amount.

I really like the "sear burner" burner between the left and center and often cook with the Left and Sear when I want some direct fast heat. for a quick fast cook like salmon burgers that go on frozen I can start the grill, cook and be eating in less than 15 mins so its a great timesaver for me.

I've cooked on the E 300 or 310 that only has three burners and its good, but I prefer that fourth burner when I want the left hand side screaming hot.

Rust inside the cabinet can be an issue so that's something to watch out for.

Around here ( greater Sacramento CA area ) they can be found in good condition in the $250 range. I don't see any right now but here's one south of the bay area for $250

00q0q_3MbZscsbRNdz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Back