What to do with an unwanted bottle of Scotch?

Anyone have a good recipe for a brine/marinade/glaze using Scotch?

Alternatively, anyone substituted Scotch for bourbon in those recipes calling for the latter? How'd it turn out?

Backstory: I have an unopened bottle of Glenfiddich that’s sitting around doing nothing. Now don’t get me wrong — I like Scotch — but 1) I don’t drink much (a bottle can last me a couple of years) and 2) I prefer my single malts to have a bit more flavor than 'fiddich.

Further, I don’t do mixed drinks at all. When you put everything together, it explains why this bottle is just gathering dust. And it’s going to keep gathering dust until I find something to do with it!

There just has to be a recipe out there for this unwanted malt. Anyone?

Maybe some sort of root vegetable glaze,
A skillet of carrots/potatoes/parsnips or mixture to them, 1/4 cup water, sliced ginger, large dollop of butter , a bit of honey(maple syrup) a little pinch of salt and pepper cook until not quite done, splash a shot of scotch on it.
Pork marinade...
Let me think about that but, I do have an idea...

Aside from the fact they they spelled whisky incorrectly, that looks interesting.

I always have a bottle of Glenfiddich in my bar. Anyone who asks for scotch on ice gets that...... :)Good scotch (the rest of the stuff in my bar) was meant to be served neat, possibly with the smallest addition of water to bring out the flavor.
That's a good idea!

(People who put ice in their malt should be sent to some sort of re-education camp. It's just wrong.)

Here's one idea, Grant.... https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/steak-marinated-in-scotch-whiskey-52905241

I always have a bottle of Glenfiddich in my bar. Anyone who asks for scotch on ice gets that...... :) Good scotch (the rest of the stuff in my bar) was meant to be served neat, possibly with the smallest addition of water to bring out the flavor.

R
Single malt served as bar stock, I have to quote Sam Elliot in The Big Lebowski, "I like your style dude!"

Would love to help you out there Grant, but most of my recipes calling for Scotch only use a tablespoon or so. Like what really sounds good to me is one called "Fettuccine and Salmon in Scotch Cream Sauce"but it only uses 1 1/2 tablespoon of Scotch.

I do have a chicken recipe that calls for Scotch OR Bourbon using 2 tablespoons of either.

Oh I found a burger recipe that calls for bourbon, Scotch or sherry. Also a few calling for rice wine OR Scotch.

If you are interested in any of these, just let me know and I will be happy to post the recipe/recipes.

Last edited:
Well, as you say.... "a bit more flavor than 'fiddish." IIRC, that's a blend
do have a chicken recipe that calls for Scotch OR Bourbon using 2 tablespoons of either.
Lessee..... make that recipe with a good healthy Islay and then with a nice bourbon. That's gonna be 2 very different tastes.

I like a weak scotch and water and ice. This is a 14 Oz glass, 2 to 3 Oz scotch and lots of ice and water to top it off.

When I get it just right it tastes like ice tea.

20210625_221235.jpg

Get some oak chunks and submerge them in the whisky for a month in a sealed container. (There's someone on here who can vouch for whisky infused oak).
I got a bottle Capt Morgan's spiced rum and submerged some beech and maple chunks in it. It's quite nice.
Personally, I cannot abide the taste of whisky. Awful stuff. And I'm only a half hour drive from the whisky nirvana of Speyside.

Last edited:
I have a potentially stupid question for the scotch drinkers, of which I am not. I understand that scotch, whiskey, etc. is better as it gets older, but does that still apply once it is opened?

Charlie

I have a potentially stupid question for the scotch drinkers, of which I am not. I understand that scotch, whiskey, etc. is better as it gets older, but does that still apply once it is opened?

Charlie
It doesn’t age in the bottle. I find most whiskeys improve after they are opened. Have a drink after it sits in the glass for half an hour and try it again in a week or two.

Get some oak chunks and submerge them in the whisky for a month in a sealed container. (There's someone on here who can vouch for whisky infused oak).
This is sort of how I make a cheater bourbon barrel porter here. I'll soak toasted oak chips in bourbon (sterilization step,) and throw all of that in a porter's secondary fermentation. Hrrrm...........Never really thought about that before. I think those chips are now gonna get reserved for smoking something.

This is sort of how I make a cheater bourbon barrel porter here. I'll soak toasted oak chips in bourbon (sterilization step,) and throw all of that in a porter's secondary fermentation. Hrrrm...........Never really thought about that before. I think those chips are now gonna get reserved for smoking something.
Off topic, of course, but one of my favorite brews when I was still brewing was a Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Stout. That one had a good dose of bourbon in it, and also got racked onto toasted oak cubes for secondary (can't remember how long, but I want to say four days to a week......). Yum!

@DanHoo I like the idea of a weak whisky water! :)

R

Well, as you say.... "a bit more flavor than 'fiddish." IIRC, that's a blend
Nope. Glenfiddich is a single malt. (I believe it's the best-selling single malt in the world.) However, it has all the flavor of a blend, so you can be excused for thinking it was!

Would love to help you out there Grant, but most of my recipes calling for Scotch only use a tablespoon or so. Like what really sounds good to me is one called "Fettuccine and Salmon in Scotch Cream Sauce"but it only uses 1 1/2 tablespoon of Scotch.

I do have a chicken recipe that calls for Scotch OR Bourbon using 2 tablespoons of either.

Oh I found a burger recipe that calls for bourbon, Scotch or sherry. Also a few calling for rice wine OR Scotch.

If you are interested in any of these, just let me know and I will be happy to post the recipe/recipes.
Well, I wasn't thinking about using it all in just one recipe...so please post them up!

Last edited:
I got a bottle Capt Morgan's spiced rum and submerged some beech and maple chunks in it. It's quite nice.
Interesting idea!

Back