What To Do With a Pork Loin Rib Half???

MickHLR

TVWBB Fan
OK, pork aficionados, what do I do with this? I have to admit, I am a beef guy…we can talk brisket, beef chuck short ribs, beef plate short ribs and beef shoulder clod all day. But, other than pork ribs, bacon and ham, I’ll admit I’m pretty ignorant about pork. And, in the past 30 years, I’ve probably only smoked maybe 10 pork butts, and maybe the same number of shoulders. Until lately, and I’ve acquired an affection for pork done right, and have started learning a little more about pork. This all started when going from a stick burner to a WSM, and needing something cheap to learn more about, and get acquainted with, the new smoker before throwing a brisket or beef ribs on it. However, in so doing, I've found I really like pork. ;)

Every time I have to go into the local Albertson’s grocery store, I always check out the meat, as they normally have a pretty good selection, and I have picked up some really good deals. So, the other day, I saw these big ol’ hunks of meat on sale for 99-cents a pound. And, it said Pork Loin Rib Half. So, I’m thinking I can cut out the baby back ribs, and then cut some boneless chops out of the loin? Or, I can just cut all bone-in chops? Or, am I totally wrong all the way around? What do all you pork guys think? Anything else I can do with it? Even though I didn’t have a clue what to do with it when I bought it, I was not about to let a big piece of meat like that slip by for that price. I know the WSM can do something with it.

682539da-56ea-4215-94da-3984cac691f1_zpse4mm7kpy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Wow! That looks great Robert! Are they the same piece of meat? This thing is huge! I see your weighed 5.8 lbs...this one weighs 10.5 lbs. And, I can't see the bones sticking out like that...but I can feel them across the end. One end looks to me like the end that connects to the butt. But, I don't know. It looks like a fantastic piece of meat though.

Wow! That looks great Robert! Are they the same piece of meat? This thing is huge! I see your weighed 5.8 lbs...this one weighs 10.5 lbs. And, I can't see the bones sticking out like that...but I can feel them across the end. One end looks to me like the end that connects to the butt. But, I don't know. It looks like a fantastic piece of meat though.

I really don't know if they are the same cut. I will say... the one I cooked made 8 HUGE chops. I should have cut it in half & froze the other half.

Edit... this may help: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html

Last edited:
Don't hold me to it, but I think that was the same cut I watched Steven Raichlen make on youtube. Pretty sure he cut the loin off when it was done, then sliced into chops... Good luck, should be fun!

A whole pork loin contains the ribeye and the strip. Rib half tells you which part you have :D. It might or might not have the ribs attached. If it does, you have some options. You could leave it whole and do a bone in rib roast. you could slice into individual bone in chops. Or, if feeling froggy, you could section out the ribs and you'll end up with a slab of baby back's. Since you will be wielding the knife, you get to decide how much meat is left of them.

If you do section out the ribs (or if that was already done), then you'll have a boneless pork loin. Options abound here as well. You could slice into pork loin chops. You could smoke/grill whole, or you could roll cut / butterfly the loin, stuff it with any number of ingredients, then roll it back up, tie it off and smoke/grill it.

You beat me to it Dave! That is a good explanation of how it can be treated. The short answer though, roast that rascal!

If that was my big hunk o pork, I would do the ribs first and save the loin for another day. When ready to do the loin I would probably
smoke it all, slice half for bbq sandwiches and use the other half in a batch of chili. Anyway you use it should be good. Let us know what
you ended up doing with it if you get the chance.

A whole pork loin contains the ribeye and the strip. Rib half tells you which part you have :D. It might or might not have the ribs attached. If it does, you have some options. You could leave it whole and do a bone in rib roast. you could slice into individual bone in chops. Or, if feeling froggy, you could section out the ribs and you'll end up with a slab of baby back's. Since you will be wielding the knife, you get to decide how much meat is left of them.

If you do section out the ribs (or if that was already done), then you'll have a boneless pork loin. Options abound here as well. You could slice into pork loin chops. You could smoke/grill whole, or you could roll cut / butterfly the loin, stuff it with any number of ingredients, then roll it back up, tie it off and smoke/grill it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Wow! That is a lot of options Dave. :) Thanks for the explanation about what this thing is as well...I was clueless. I guess the first thing I'll need to find out is if the chine bone is still in it. If not, I guess it's just according to how I feel the day before I cook it...even though I'm leaning toward leaving it whole and cooking it indirect on my 26.75" Weber Kettle, instead of the 22.5" WSM, like Robert-R did in a thread above. His pics look so good, and that does look like the simplest way. That way it would be easy to just move over to the heat side to give it a good sear when done. I have no idea at this time, as I just bought it and threw it in the freezer, not even knowing what it was. But, I knew I could get some answers on here with what to do with it.

Now, no matter how I decide to cook it, I'm going to have this predicament. Since it's going to be a ton of meat, invite all the family over for dinner to help eat it all...and just hope my attempt at cooking it goes well. Or, in case I mess it up, just cook it for me and the wife...and throw it away if I ruin it. Or, if it turns out good, freeze the left overs. Or, deliver the leftovers to the relatives. :confused:

If that was my big hunk o pork, I would do the ribs first and save the loin for another day. When ready to do the loin I would probably
smoke it all, slice half for bbq sandwiches and use the other half in a batch of chili. Anyway you use it should be good. Let us know what
you ended up doing with it if you get the chance.

Thanks Bob...I would like to cut those ribs out and do them first, and save the loin for another day. And, if I'd have known what I had when I first bought it, I would've tried that. But, since I threw it in the freezer, that would be hard to do.

Everything you said sounds great, except the chili part. That's a good way to get kicked plumb out of Texas, putting pork in chili...so, that part ain't ever gonna happen! LOL!! :eek:

Thanks Bob...I would like to cut those ribs out and do them first, and save the loin for another day. And, if I'd have known what I had when I first bought it, I would've tried that. But, since I threw it in the freezer, that would be hard to do.

Everything you said sounds great, except the chili part. That's a good way to get kicked plumb out of Texas, putting pork in chili...so, that part ain't ever gonna happen! LOL!! :eek:

Mick, it's perfectly fine to defrost then refreeze that loin. You could take the ribs off to cook, then either refreeze the entire loin, or, since it's so big, perhaps section out a smaller loin and cut the rest into chops. Then, wrap and refreeze everything that you won't be cooking that day.

You don't want to do this over and over and over again as eventually, the ice crystals that form when freezing will tear mess up the texture of the meat, but doing it once or twice is fine. BTW, this applies to beef and chicken as well. Fish/seafood is a bit different as the texture is more delicate.

I do this when I get whole or 1/2 ribeye loins in cryovac. They go straight into the freezer as they will last there for years in the cryo. Later, if I want some individual ribeyes, I'll pull one of the loins out, defrost it in the fridge and then cut it into steaks. I'll throw one or two in the fridge to be grilled soon after. The rest get individually wrapped in shrink wrap, then put into freezer bags and refrozen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Dave! I've just never re-froze anything after thawing. But, I will try that when I get ready to do something with this bad-boy!

Thanks for the info Dave! I've just never re-froze anything after thawing. But, I will try that when I get ready to do something with this bad-boy!

Cool cool. I guess I should add some safety/health disclaimers. You don't want to refreeze meat that has been sitting around on the counter defrosting for 3 or 4 hours. Pull the meat a couple days early and defrost it in the refrigerator. Take it out of the fridge when defrosted, portion it however you want and get it wrapped and back into the freezer as soon as you can. Good luck with it.

Beautifully said, Dave. I've usually avoided this cut, but my wife found it on sale, and we're realizing we can do thick baby backs on a warm summer day, half a loin for company and thin cut pork chops like she likes for the kids. 3 meals for about $10-$20 depending on size and sale.

Well, guys thanks so much for the info on this. I actually pulled it out of the freezer, let it thaw in the fridge for a couple of days, and then went to work on it. I cut out the baby backs and put them right back in the freezer for another day. Then, I had this big ol' chunk of meet. So, I was able to cut 10 beautifully thick chops from it, marinated over-night and smoked the next day for company. Yes, I was very brave! LOL! It's funny, I got this entire thing for $10.43. And, just last week, the same store had a 3-pack of pork loin chops for $10-$10.50 that weren't near as thick as the 10 I cut out of this loin. Plus, I got a free rack of baby backs. I will pick up one of these bad-boys every time I see them on sale.

Beautifully said, Dave. I've usually avoided this cut, but my wife found it on sale, and we're realizing we can do thick baby backs on a warm summer day, half a loin for company and thin cut pork chops like she likes for the kids. 3 meals for about $10-$20 depending on size and sale.

Thanks. Yeah, it's a nice cut and an incredible bargain if you know how to do things with it. Here's another thing you can use it for, Pork Crown Roast.

l553673313.jpg

Well, guys thanks so much for the info on this. I actually pulled it out of the freezer, let it thaw in the fridge for a couple of days, and then went to work on it. I cut out the baby backs and put them right back in the freezer for another day. Then, I had this big ol' chunk of meet. So, I was able to cut 10 beautifully thick chops from it, marinated over-night and smoked the next day for company. Yes, I was very brave! LOL! It's funny, I got this entire thing for $10.43. And, just last week, the same store had a 3-pack of pork loin chops for $10-$10.50 that weren't near as thick as the 10 I cut out of this loin. Plus, I got a free rack of baby backs. I will pick up one of these bad-boys every time I see them on sale.

You're welcome. Definitely some nice savings. BTW, watch for when plain old 1/2 pork loins go on sale also. Same thing happens here. People will walk in and buy pre cut pork loin chops for $4.00 per lb even though 1/2 pork loins are on sale for $2.00 per lb. What really makes me shake my head is that you can grab the 1/2 loin and hand it to the guy behind the counter and he'll slice it up for you for free.

Back