What is your all-time favorite rib rub?

Pete D.

TVWBB Member
What is your go-to rub for spare ribs - the one you might use when you're having your new in-laws over and you want to make sure that you are cooking your very best ribs?

Thanks,
Pete

Lawry's Season salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. Just enough to enhance the flavor, I like my ribs to taste like pork!!!

The best rub I have used is Harry Soo's rib rub coupled with his technique as outlined in his pdf on this web site. I also use his process with pulled pork, exclusively.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. I need to clarify. I use Harry Soo's recipe for his basic rub made at home. rdm

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of "17th St. Magic Dust"....GREAT overall seasoning for ribs, butts and even poultry. Check out the book, "Peace Love and Barbeque" Mike Mills has included his Magic Dust recipe as well as some other AWESOME recipes from around the country.

Johnny's seasoned salt. Then just before I sauce, fresh ground black pepper, that way it does not get bitter during the cook. No more rubs.
I don't do comps, so just cook the way I like them.

I made this up about twenty years ago and use it exclusively on my pork ribs.

Baby Back Rub

¾ cup packed golden brown sugar
¼ cup paprika
2 ½ Tbs. of sea salt
2 ½ Tbs. ground black pepper
1 Tbs. onion powder
½ Tbs. cayenne powder

Can't say it is my all time favorite, but it is on my list of ones to never be without. Plowboys Yardbird, I put that chit on everything

Original poster here — I probably should have mentioned that I typically mix up my own rub mixture. That's easier than trying to find something in my local grocery store besides Famous Daves rub.

I've been using the Memphis Dust recipe, but Kevin K. had a recipe on another thread that a lot of people were raving about:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?31265-Rib-Rub

Anything else out there that you really like? What are your favorite rib rub RECIPES?

Thx
Pete

Dr. BBQ's Big Time sweet rub recipe is a winner - I add more chili powder and brown sugar to it for ribs - then pulse it in a spice grinder.

I'll second the Plowboy's Yardbird for a commercial rub, mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with brown sugar and try it on ribs or chicken, you'll be glad you did. We like it on hot buttered popcorn too!

Last edited:
We don't prefer sweet anything. I stumble across this one and we like it cause it's a little spicy.

• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
• 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/03/southern-style-dry-rub-pork-ribs.html#axzz2vQH31wwA

Back