What is the best way to light a small number of coals (8-12)

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
What is the best way to light a small number of coals (8-12) when I am using the Minion Method? I have tried various ways and so far have not hit on a full proof way to do it. I have NO problems when lighting a full chimney of coals. It is only when I try to light a small number. If I use the chimney upright, the paper burns up without properly lighting the coals. I've tried turning the chimney upside down (to utilize the wire cone to concentrate the coals in the center) and that doesn't seem to work, either. I don't have a weed burner, so that's out.

I'm open to discussion...

Dale53

have you turned the metal funnel in your chimney upside-down yet? (I don't use the minion method, ever, but someone posted about that years ago & I did it, no probs).

I always use the MM but with 20 briquettes and use three pieces of newspaper in the chimney starter, works every time. Why such a small amount of briquettes?

Have you ever tried the Weber starter cubes? They work well for me. When I only want to light a small amount of charcoal, I turn the chimney upside down and then I place a starter cube on a piece of wood I covered with aluminum foil to get the cube up closer to the charcoal. Works well. I think a wadded up piece of paper towel with some vegetable oil on it would work too.

Robert, I use a Weber starter cube, like Jerry, pour in the amount of briquettes to ONE side of the chimney...
and tilt the chimney over the lit cube to light the charcoal.
I use a Weber Smokey Joe to light the chimney, so tilting it to one side is pretty easy to do...
I hope you understand this through my words... and i hope this helps.

have you turned the metal funnel in your chimney upside-down yet? (I don't use the minion method, ever, but someone posted about that years ago & I did it, no probs).

That's what I did on my old chimney, and it does work for small amounts and actually gives you more room for larger amounts also.
Another option is the Weber compact chimney that just came out.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009IH0ICG/thevirtualweberb
I picked one up from Ace and it lights small amounts with a starter cube pretty fast.

Tim

Last edited:
I have one chimney with the metal grate the right way, and one with it the wrong way for lighting small numbers of coals. But Weber has started making a compact chimney for Smokey Joes that works much better with small amounts - timothy has the link a couple of posts ago - and I've found it to be very helpful.

Thanks, good people!

That gives me a number of options.

I appreciate the quick response! The Virtual Weber Forum comes to the rescue, again!;)

Dale53

I light all my charcoal with a high output propane torch. It would work well lighting a small number of coals.

That's the ticket. I snapped this picture on my last trip. Throw a starter cube in and then dump your coals in.

745045AF-5815-4019-878D-7F9346A714E3-1779-000001759A3BDBBC.jpg

When I need to light a small amount of briquettes I put a Weber starter cube on the grate and build a pyramid of coals around it. Then I light the starter and let it work for awhile, and after the inner briquettes are burning I use a pair of tongs to shuffle them around as needed.

Try using more paper in your chimney.....I crumple it up and cram it in fairly tight and light it with a propane torch.

I routinely light 10-15 with no problem.

I.ve made a alcohol burner from two empty beer cans. Costs nothing at all, and lights your cubes with two tablespoons of denaturated alcohol as fuel.
There are lots of videos on YouTube how to make one.

I take a large can, from soup, beans whatever, and cut out the bottom. Put that in the center of my starter and fill it up with briquettes, put a starter cube underneath it and light it. Works like a charm.

Back