What is everyone cooking this weekend?

1000 apologies. Not trying to confuse anyone but myself. I use the term interchangeably, but I'm the only one who knows what I mean. I'll try to use proper terminology in the future. I almost had you guys thinking you were missing out on something new. . :)

No need for an apology, but you're right, thought someone came up with a new way to cut ribs. :)
It's kind of like KC or NY strip steaks being the same.

As for me this weekend, Sunday I'll probably dig that saved brisket point out of the freezer for burnt ends, and ? ?
We've been battling the rain from storm Bill, and more rain called for Sunday. :(

Ya know what, I'm OFFICALLY renaming St Louis Style ribs to MILWAUKEE SPARES
and I ain't taking any grief about it, ok?!

Was going to do some St Louis spares but at Costco all I could find was Milwaukee spares. Never heard of those before so I picked up a quad tip instead. Going to do a reveres low and slow. Start out at 600* and choke out the coals and finish at 127.5*. Thinking about 12 hours ought to do it.

Only Milwaukee spares?
That's nuts, why no Prescott Valley cut ribs??

Rich, for a quad tip I'd start at 601.32, then choke down to 126.08 since this has worked very well for me in the past.
Just be sure to calibrate your thermometer before starting, and have plenty of beer on ice.

It's looking like we may get a reprieve from the rain tomorrow, so I'm planning on Thai chili garlic pulled chicken with a peanut (satayish) finishing sauce to use for Asian salad for a couple of lunches this week.

ha! I have exactly the same to say as Christopher ... haven't had a chance to use my WSM in 3-4 weeks. Baby back ribs going on tomorrow afternoon, I already mixed up the rub this evening. :wsm:

I'll probably be smoking about 10 pounds of salmon (I'm going to have to start charging friends or I'll go broke!).

Also considering smoking a chuck roast for some shredded beef tacos.

A friend gave us some mulberry planks his brother cut, so we may grill some planked fish of some kind.

DB, is that Coho salmon from Lake Michigan?

I wish! It's hard to get fresh or local fish here, it's all flown in frozen. Especially since I'm still experimenting with technique, I'm just buying mostly farmed Atlantic salmon from the local grocery store. I've done some sockeye and a little trout too.

I have two butts in the refrigerator that I'll be cooking. I almost hate to part with them, they're part of my best score in recent years (marked down to 59 cents per pound on the "sell by" date).

8/2/15, 7:00 a.m.- they're cooking at 250 degrees, now I can relax for a few hours. Dinner tonight should be good. :)

Last edited:

Back