What do you think?

I bet he bought a WSM!
Since there's a kettle in the background I certainly wouldn't rule it out. My first smoker was an offset and while I liked the results I found that I never needed that much cooking space, and that it had an appetite for fuel. And that's why I now have a WSM.

Jeff, $250 is definitely a good price, especially if it's in good shape.

I believe that the gold & black badge indicates that this was made before Oklahoma Joe's was bought out (and significantly "cost-reduced") by Char-Broil.

I agree that if you're in the market for a stick-burner, this looks like a great deal.

Yes, that plate on the cook chamber door tells me its an original Oklahoma Joes. But I'm not sure of that. If it has a serial number on it, then it is a pre 1998 smoker. Joe Davidson started Oklahoma Joes when he was in college at Ok State Univ in the early 80's. He made smokers out of oil field pipe and sold them at the State Fair. It grew.

He sold out to Charbroil in 1998 and the quality of the product went down. His brother Roger Davidson , began making the original OK Joes under the Horizon brand.

Joe went to Kansas City and got into the barbecue joint business.

The primary diff between the original Ok Joe and the Charbroil version will be the thickness of the steel. Originals were made from 1/4" steel. The Charbroils will be 1/8" .

If the firebox is not rusted out , and it appears to not be, this is a good find. If you find that stick burner is not your thing, you should be able to sell for at or near what you paid for it.

On second thought, I'm not sure that's an original just based upon that plate on the door, whether it has serial number or not.

That really looks to be in too good a shape for a smoker 22 yo or more. I'd like to know more about his " mods ", most of those are like mods on a WSM, not really necessary..

If its not an original, then a new Old Country Pecos for $400 would be the better purchase.

It looks like they've probably sealed the main chamber and it has the locks to keep the door down against the gasket. They also extend the stack to grate level on the inside. That "convection plate" was probably 100 bucks. Like Lynn I prefer the design of the Old Country. But if that thing's in great shape it's not a a bad deal. Also, I don't think sealing a door is all that important on a offset.

I sent him an email yesterday and have not heard back from him. I guess it’s a no go.

Any luck on this? I see that it is still listed.

Also, since you're in the area, did you see this post the other day? I just bought some cherry chunks from the store, so I don't have a use right now. But it seems like a good price for that amount of wood.

Any luck on this? I see that it is still listed.

Also, since you're in the area, did you see this post the other day? I just bought some cherry chunks from the store, so I don't have a use right now. But it seems like a good price for that amount of wood.

I just sent him another email. I’ll see if he answers this time.

Back