What do you put your rub in?

Jeff Langer

TVWBB Fan
Looking for something that has holes in the top so it is easier to sprinkle rub onto meat! Any suggestions?

Thank you!:p

Take a mason jar and 2 flat lids and 1 ring. Drill a bunch of holes in one of the lids for sprinkling the rub, then you can put the other ring on to keep everything dry. Works great.

The top of a Parmesan cheese container fits perfectly on a mason jar and the holes on those are huge!

I usually buy spices at the local warehouse store (BJs) in fairly large bottles that have shaker lids. When they're empty, I wash 'em out and recycle them as rub shakers. They're actually the same type of containers that a lot of commercial rubs are sold in.

I usually buy spices at the local warehouse store (BJs) in fairly large bottles that have shaker lids. When they're empty, I wash 'em out and recycle them as rub shakers. They're actually the same type of containers that a lot of commercial rubs are sold in.

I do the same, plus I have recycled a few shakers from commercial rubs I bought in the past. Once you accumulate 4 or 5 you should have enough, unless you like having a lot of different rubs on hand at the same time. A label maker is useful for keeping track of which rub is which. The shaker I use for my wing rub is also labeled with the recipe.

Jeff,

We buy our spices at Sam's Club. They come in large plastic containers with flip top shaker lids. Different spices have different sized holes in the lid. Over the years I have saved a half dozen of those spice bottles and bunches of the lids. When I make a batch of poultry rub like Scarborough Faire, I blend it and pour it off into one of those large containers and cap it with a shaker lid with small holes (since I don't need a lot usually). When I do a pork rub (which I will probably be using very liberally) I use a lid with larger holes so the rub will come out faster. I always add popcorn to my rubs to keep them from clumping (popcorn is an excellent food grade desiccant). If I am planning to store for a long time, I remove the lid, cover the mouth of the jar with plastic wrap and then screw the lid back on to seal out air and moisture. This works well for me and it is essentially free since I am recycling the containers...

Regards,

John

Jeff,

We buy our spices at Sam's Club. They come in large plastic containers with flip top shaker lids. Different spices have different sized holes in the lid. Over the years I have saved a half dozen of those spice bottles and bunches of the lids. When I make a batch of poultry rub like Scarborough Faire, I blend it and pour it off into one of those large containers and cap it with a shaker lid with small holes (since I don't need a lot usually). When I do a pork rub (which I will probably be using very liberally) I use a lid with larger holes so the rub will come out faster. I always add popcorn to my rubs to keep them from clumping (popcorn is an excellent food grade desiccant). If I am planning to store for a long time, I remove the lid, cover the mouth of the jar with plastic wrap and then screw the lid back on to seal out air and moisture. This works well for me and it is essentially free since I am recycling the containers...

Regards,

John

I have tried this before... What do you use to peel your labels off? My bottles end up with sticky residue from the stickers on them. I guess I could try something like Go-Gone or WD-40 but did not want to go to that extreme! :cool:

Thanks for the info sir!

Jeff,

I leave them on and write on the side of the bottle with Sharpie. Alternatively you could weigh them down and sink them in hot water for an hour or so and then scrape off the label or just slap a plain white one over the factory label...

Regards,

John

Why not just use the container itself?

I guess you could but storing leftover rub in a mason jar using the mason jar lid is better than using a regular container IMO because the seal is better. Just take the regular mason jar lid off and screw on a Parmesan cheese lid on and you are off and running!

Take a mason jar and 2 flat lids and 1 ring. Drill a bunch of holes in one of the lids for sprinkling the rub, then you can put the other ring on to keep everything dry. Works great.

This! I make my own rubs so I usually do a huge batch that fills two mason jars.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Think I might try the mason jars and use the containers that the spices from Sams comes in! Going to cook some ribs on Sunday I think!

I put homemade rubs in a jar and sprinkle it on by hand a foot or more above to rain the rub down onto the food. I find I get a better even coat that way.

If the rub is store bought in a sprinkle top container I shake about a foot or more above the food

Last edited:
The top of a Parmesan cheese container fits perfectly on a mason jar and the holes on those are huge!

Never thought of putting the lid on a mason jar. I use the Parmesan cheese container but the mason jar is a great idea.

The other thing I use is the Parmesan cheese shaker that you find in restaurants. It's the shaker with the metal lid (see link below). They also put red pepper flakes in them. When I use this, I just put in enough rub for the task at hand because the lid is obviously not something that can be sealed. It's also nice to use a small container like this because when rubbing, you can get raw meat on the shaker. Using this, I just wash it when I'm done. In that respect, the rub I've made up is stored in a zip lock bag. I usually make a large batch when I make a rub.

http://cutcaster.com/photo/100234931-Crushed-Red-Pepper-Shaker/

Last edited:

Back