What are your favorite or recommended wsm modifications?

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
So here is a list of mods I am thinking of doing
  1. Wheels to be able to move my smoker around easier
  2. Hinge for the lid
  3. Bottle opener
  4. Putting a bolt in the bottom vents so I can move them without burning my fingers
  5. Putting turn locks on the bottom section so I can move the smoker around by tipping it and holding the handle
  6. Replacing the handle with a wood one
  7. Handles on the middle section
  8. Removable work table
Are there any that aren't listed that you think I should include? What mods have you done? Any you wish you wouldn't have done or would do differently. Im interested to hear what everyones thoughts are.

Based on the assumption that you're not dealing with any physical issues that might drive some of your questions:

1. If you're moving it when it's cold, just pop the top 2 sections and move the base.
2. Unless there's a reason you can't set the lid on the ground, the couple of seconds saved aren't worth the cost and effort to install a hinge.
3. Keep the opener by the beer and uncap before you get busy. Otherwise, pockets or twist-offs.
4. Pliers, or learn to finger-tap the vents.
5. See #1.
6. It does look good but doesn't make a difference otherwise.
7. A popular mod but I haven't done it because I've never had to get to the base during a cook. Either way, you're gonna need some gloves.
8. Think portable, not removable. A freestanding 4 or 6-foot table that's completely separate will work just fine, or you could be like me and use a John Deere 68 riding mower with 4 flat tires instead.

Your enthusiasm is admirable but don't overthink things. Relish the simplicity.;)

Last edited:
I am using an Auto Drip Pan under the WSM and it is large enough to allow me to remove the lid or lid and middle and place it next to the WSM without getting any marks on my patio.

Best, most helpful, imo, top to bottom.....IMO:

1. Heatermeter/damper
2. Slot for wires
3. Extended charcoal basket / clay saucer
4. Handles on shell
5. Wheels
6. Damper handle pegs

Literally the exact opposite order of which I did them.......

For me (in order) on my 18:

Slot for wires
3-in-1 charcoal basket mod
Metal diffuser plate (FireDial) to replace the overly deep water pan
Rolling cart
Knobs/handles on mid-section
Third cooking grate mod

I'll pass on your 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. None of those would make my WSM function any better or easier.

I haven't gone there yet, but an ATC blower makes a difference. And (not really a mod) get a remote thermometer.

Extended charcoal basket is huge improvement in functionality
With stock.....you got 6-7 hrs before ash buildup will cause temps to crash
With my bigger......10-11 hrs. You can sleep all night......even without atc.

Not to mention....up to 22+ hrs without adding any fuel. Adding fuel in long cooks .plain...sucks.

I have the 18 WSM. I haven’t done any real “mods” yet.

I have purchased an extra charcoal grate that is slightly smaller and fits inside the charcoal ring in order to criss-cross the pattern and prevent smaller pieces of charcoal from falling through.

I also purchased a shallower water pan so that the pan isn’t touching the charcoal basket if it is slightly overfilled.

Using good gloves eliminates the need for most handles and extensions to vents, etc...

Of course a Thermapen and good set of wireless probes are invaluable.

I often “tap” the vents open or closed with my Weber charcoal rake.

Some things I would like to do are:

1) Get a better set of wireless probes that connect to my phone such as a Fireboard 2 or Thermoworks Signals and have at least 4 probes.

2) Invest in some Jealous Devil lump charcoal.

3) Get stainless grates eventually.

I am more happy with some of the “other” accessories I have bought that help with meat prep such as hotel pans, knives, cutting boards, stainless bowls, heavy duty aluminum foil, etc... I find investing in these are more valuable than modding the actual WSM.

The only thing that is really important is that you USE the thing! Geegaws and jimcracks are all well and good but, aside from a slot to run thermometer wires, I’ve done NOTHING to my 18”(the member that I bought it from had already done that). No vent fans, wheels, bottle openers, handles nothing, there is nothing extra to have frustrate me. The beauty of the WSM is it’s simplicity. I think the only thing I’d really want is to make a wind break but, that’s easy enough.
I have considered a cart for easier movement to and from the garage but, it’s way down the “need” list. I do have a set of vent handles that were gifted to me by another member of the forum but, I have yet to install them, maybe this afternoon, maybe in the spring.

First thing I did was wire the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate and add another at a 90 because I use lump.

For me I am effectively using the probe grommet for the 2 probes I have. I have even run one under the lid on an angle and that was fine too.

Really the machine is very effective (9/10) as is.

Just 4:
Wheels
Spacers for the 4 inside braces/top grate tabs to keep the top grate from tilting and falling in (had that happened before with meat on!)
Nomex tape for the door and top lid for a tighter seal
Extra grate

Thanks everyone. Winter is coming soon and I was thinking of some things to do besides watching tv haha. Figured I could chip away at this over the winter for fun

Thanks everyone. Winter is coming soon and I was thinking of some things to do besides watching tv haha. Figured I could chip away at this over the winter for fun
The only mods I have done were to add slots for the wires, a temp gauge since mine is an old one that did not have one, and gaskets for the door. I suggest that you look for a Weber 1000 and rehab it as your winter project instead.

Extended charcoal basket is huge improvement in functionality
With stock.....you got 6-7 hrs before ash buildup will cause temps to crash
With my bigger......10-11 hrs. You can sleep all night......even without atc.

I have the stock basket and I get 10+ hours without temp crash. Maybe it’s because I use Weber charcoal?

I have modified every smoker I owned and I sure understand your itch.
Mods on my 18'5 were:
Slot for wires in the center body rim.
Wired the charcoal basket and grate together.
Used stainless U-bolts and fender washers to add handles to my charcoal grate and lower cooking grate.
Brinkman charcoal pan replaced the water pan.
Handles on the center body.
I found the "how to do it" on https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/operating-tips-modifications/#modifications

It's your baby have fun and as Timothy Lewis said "USE the thing".

I've done several mods on my 22:

Wheels
Gasket around top of mid-section and door opening
Lid hinge
Fold down side table
Cajun Bandit steel door and compression latch
PartyQ ATC, so I have all other bottom vent holes plugged
Threaded wire tube for probe wires. Since I just replaced my dead Maverick with a Thermoworks Smoke, I'll be cutting a slot because the new probes don't fit in the old hole.

A slot cut out for a temp probe, an extra charcoal grate 90 degrees off the first and wired to the basket. thats it

Wheels, side handles and a welding blanket for the center section. It keeps the wind/cold from it and temps stay dead stable with it (I live in central NY and use this all year round). The welding blanket is from Harbor Freight - it was about $25 w/ a coupon. I hold it on with some tie-down straps. The blanket has made a huge difference in keeping temps up in the cold/wind and even in the summer. It makes the WSM a set & forget thing. I have the 22" WSM, fwiw.

I have the 18 WSM. I haven’t done any real “mods” yet.

I have purchased an extra charcoal grate that is slightly smaller and fits inside the charcoal ring in order to criss-cross the pattern and prevent smaller pieces of charcoal from falling through.

I also purchased a shallower water pan so that the pan isn’t touching the charcoal basket if it is slightly overfilled.

Using good gloves eliminates the need for most handles and extensions to vents, etc...

Of course a Thermapen and good set of wireless probes are invaluable.

I often “tap” the vents open or closed with my Weber charcoal rake.

Some things I would like to do are:

1) Get a better set of wireless probes that connect to my phone such as a Fireboard 2 or Thermoworks Signals and have at least 4 probes.

2) Invest in some Jealous Devil lump charcoal.

3) Get stainless grates eventually.

I am more happy with some of the “other” accessories I have bought that help with meat prep such as hotel pans, knives, cutting boards, stainless bowls, heavy duty aluminum foil, etc... I find investing in these are more valuable than modding the actual WSM.
Do you mind sharing what water pan you bought and where?

Back