what are you cooking for labor day weekend ?

Sunday will be some NY steaks I got at the market yesterday. Garden salad, the rest of the garlic mashed potatoes and biscuits from yesterday.

It's a furnace outside - and muggy.
Temp-9-4-22.JPG

Out of the frying pan and into the fryer.

Leaving here now for the last 5 days

View attachment 58598

And going here in a few hours

View attachment 58599

I think I’m being cooked this weekend. Damn

This place is looking good this weekend. Road-trip. Sodini’s on Green St is calling my name.

Sodini’s

View attachment 58600
I feel for you all with the extreme temps this weekend. Different story here in the Midwest…
DE2314E1-438C-4ADE-9717-3F0DB3B77CA8.jpeg
Lisa said she’s willing to trade places with any of you!

I feel for you all with the extreme temps this weekend. Different story here in the Midwest…
View attachment 58755
Lisa said she’s willing to trade places with any of you!
Has she ever felt like she’s melting into the sidewalk? Had her shoes burn through to her feet? Been branded by your cars seatbelt clip? Brushed her leg across a hot metal car door? Drank a gallon of cold water only to drink another gallon consecutively?

105° is my personal threshold. Each degree above this is incrementally closer to death. The pain level increases by X levels each degree.

Offer accepted. Lmk what you’re cooking for dinner Monday-Friday till this passes. I can send you the airline ticket asap 🤣

We took the Go Anywhere (charcoal) down to my mom's today and grilled brats for lunch; accompaniments were slaw, potato salad, baked beans and potato chips. Reminiscent of many Labor Day weekends long past.

For tomorrow I have a 4-lb rack of spares. The younger daughter and her boyfriend have been invited but I've yet to receive a reply, so it's tough to speculate on Leftover Futures at this time.

114° in my area, I’m thinking ice cream. :unsure:
Maybe the Ghirardelli store is still open near you? We had a fresh fig tart last night for dessert, ala mode, with DF ice cream and it was 84° outside at that time, say 9p? Quite refreshing, for sure.

Has she ever felt like she’s melting into the sidewalk? Had her shoes burn through to her feet? Been branded by your cars seatbelt clip? Brushed her leg across a hot metal car door? Drank a gallon of cold water only to drink another gallon consecutively?

105° is my personal threshold. Each degree above this is incrementally closer to death. The pain level increases by X levels each degree.

Offer accepted. Lmk what you’re cooking for dinner Monday-Friday till this passes. I can send you the airline ticket asap 🤣
She’s packing and I’m working on the menu! More later!

I cooked three times (different days) for 11 people this past week: one butt, 10 pounds of grilled chicken, and 10 t-bone steaks. So I will be eating leftovers on Labor Day, no cooking for me. My next cook will be ribs; my 7-year-old grandson said he wanted to try "ribs that are all hooked together with the bones in them", so he will be my sous chef.

I cooked three times (different days) for 11 people this past week: one butt, 10 pounds of grilled chicken, and 10 t-bone steaks. So I will be eating leftovers on Labor Day, no cooking for me. My next cook will be ribs; my 7-year-old grandson said he wanted to try "ribs that are all hooked together with the bones in them", so he will be my sous chef.
You’re having a good time there. So great to read this. Truly happy for you. Family and friends equals fun. Enjoy your day off. Enjoy an adult bev and kick the feet up.

Maybe the Ghirardelli store is still open near you? We had a fresh fig tart last night for dessert, ala mode, with DF ice cream and it was 84° outside at that time, say 9p? Quite refreshing, for sure.
Actually thinking about soba noodles. Normally served cold. :)

Ima going to to two St Lou racks tmrw. Set em and forget em for 2.5 hours and monitor on the Signals.

About to make slaw now that it’s only 91° outside (9p pst).

I’ll char up some corn I cooked last night and make a few margs. I had three mango margs last night and the patio looked sideways to me at a few points. Oh well. Mission accomplished.

Will have to eat indoors tmrw as it’ll be hell at 4p. 113° predicted.

Papa Murphy's pizza Sunday and ribeye with roasted Brussels sprouts and potatoes today.

Attachments

• PXL_20220905_014543247.jpg
    PXL_20220905_014543247.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220904_213347446.jpg
    PXL_20220904_213347446.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 4
Going to fire up the chimney and get the WSM going with a pork butt for family dinner later.

Still dark out here on the left coast, just a blush of color on some clouds to the east, but man it is warm and muggy - already got some back sweat going setting up the WSM. It'll be another 90+F day here - gotta load up the fridge with something cold to drink later.

Enjoy your Labor Day!

Dawn color
dawn-9-5-22.jpg

Coals ready to pour
coals-ready-9-5-22.jpg

Last edited:

Back