what are you cooking for labor day weekend ?

It’s Thursday and I have almost everything set up for the Saturday festivities! Pavilion and lights, smoker cabaña, hot food area, cold food area is pretty much ready for ice, beverage coolers, smoker charged and ready to light tomorrow evening. I still need to get the kettles set up but, they are in working position just waiting for chimneys to be filled and touched off! I HOPE to be able to take it as easy as possible on Saturday, BYOB/ Dish to pass. So, the workload is not going to be astronomical. A buddy is doing way more than he and his wife should but, he’s a really good guy. I’m doing the bulk of appetizers, will also make some Mac and cheese to go with pulled pork and brisket.
I think I’ve earned a nice long shower, tomorrow will be last minute shopping and more “arrangement”. This should be one helluva party!

Saturday I'm subject to mercy of my host in Michigan
Back home on Sunday it's Picanha or Trip tip (from Wild Fork)
Monday baby backs of course

I wish I had remembered that earlier this week cuz I got gift certificate for Snake River farms ........ I keep forgetting to order meat to grill.

Block party this weekend, I’m volunteering my grill. Neighbors will bring conflicting grab bag of stuff, need to “bi-partisan” the grates:
Infidel zone on left (pork and such); Beyond Burgers on right. I’m stuck in the middle with 🍸 🥃

1662076209615.png

Not sure yet but it will probably be cooked in the Instant Pot. Temps supposed to be 100+ so will be staying cool inside and not generating any more heat than necessary.

Grilling chicken breasts, burgers and hot dogs. The Labor Day family picnic menu since
I was a little boy.

@DanHoo I think we're just cookin'! As in being cooked!

Pray for us, we will be on the road. With luck, might be passing Kansas City about Labor Day. Do they have BBQ there?

Edit: Autocorrect really screwed that up for me. Hope it's right now.

I have a tri tip in the freezer I’m going to cook and will smoke some veggies with that.
I will do a nice oyster platter for appies.
We are going to the Washington State Fair this weekend.
They get serious about this so it should be good.
I like looking at animals so that will be fun.
Weather wise it‘s been a blistering 72 degrees here and will for the the next week or so :).
Enjoying Labor Day weekend with 72 degree weather is going to be different.

I'm hoping to get in a bbq feast in this weekend, smoked spare ribs, tater salad, some sorta beans.... Probably gonna be Monday.

My son is home for the weekend for the first time after going to college, he's requested gumbo on Sunday

Weather forecast looks decent for St. Louis MO - it can be miserably hot this time of year, but I think it's going to be "regular hot" ;)

Not sure yet but it will probably be cooked in the Instant Pot. Temps supposed to be 100+ so will be staying cool inside and not generating any more heat than necessary.
Decided on meatloaf in the IP. Found a recipe that sounds good. Will post later if it turns out well. Have some potato salad I made up early in the week to go with and maybe some garlic bread. Just me and the wife this year.

Really nice meatloaf. I added a small diced poblano and a small diced green bell from the garden, for a total of about 1/4 cup, and an extra 1/4 cup of diced onion. It was a ways from being done after the 25 minutes and quick release the recipe called for. Thinking a natural release would have done the trick.
Here's link: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/instant-pot-meatloaf

Last edited:
Block party this weekend, I’m volunteering my grill. Neighbors will bring conflicting grab bag of stuff, need to “bi-partisan” the grates:
Infidel zone on left (pork and such); Beyond Burgers on right. I’m stuck in the middle with 🍸 🥃

View attachment 58543
Bi-partisan and Berkeley in the same post. LMAO. Not a political comment. Just being observant.

Out of the frying pan and into the fryer.

Leaving here now for the last 5 days

1662147089653.png

And going here in a few hours

1662147124962.png

I think I’m being cooked this weekend. Damn

This place is looking good this weekend. Road-trip. Sodini’s on Green St is calling my name.

Sodini’s

1662147515940.jpeg

Last edited:

Back