What are you barbecuing on Smoke Day?

For the last few years, our smoke day was spent judging bbq contests. With the Big Bear ( CA ) contest cancelled / postponed, we'll finally participate in Smoke Day 2020. Not sure what, yet...

Two nine pound butts with my modified BRITU rub over yellow mustard. I will fire up the WSM and start the cook the evening before and then bake some sourdough bread in the morning. My wife will be in charge of the cole slaw. I will also use some No. 5 sauce with extra ancho chili pepper, cumin, cayenne, etc.

Looks like the appetizer thing might work, a buddy says he’s got ten pounds of wings in his freezer, I’ve got a nice Mettwurst to “hassleback”, maybe some Scotta Ditta if I can find some lamb, beef kebabs, roasted baby potatoes, asparagus, maybe some shrimp.
Many small dishes.
Possibly tequila to combine Smoke Day with John Wayne’s 111th birthday!
After all,

Wait for it

“A Man’s got to do what a Man’s got to do”

I’m thinking about a meatloaf for tomorrow actually!
Wearing my shirt as I write!
Given the depressing state of affairs between covid 19 and family health issues, I decided I wanted to wear something that is FUN!

I‘ve got a couple racks of ribs ready to go but if I can get one, I’ll do a Berkshire shoulder. Apparently there’s a store downtown that might have one.

Carolina style pulled pork. I have an eight plus pound Boston butt that will get a salt rub then a vinegar, red peepers flakes, and black pepper mop throughout the cook, then finished with BBQ sauce that I ordered today from Hog Heaven, Pawleys Island, South Carolina. This is the best BBQ sauce it the WORLD!!! I bought a half gallon of the sauce, that is how much we love their sauce. I can't wait to get it in the mail.

Friday: Italian Sausages (combo of sweet and hot) - no smoke, WSM: no barrel, grate over coals
Saturday: St. Louis Ribs using Hickory, WSM pan in, no water
Sunday: Chicken Thighs, no smoke, WSM w/ barrel, but no pan
Monday: Burgers hot & fast no smoke, WSM: no barrel, grate over coals

18.5WSM

Hickory Smoked Maple-Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin

Been behind on prepping for Smoke Day this year. Ordered my shirts late and will not have them in time. :cry::cry::cry:

Looked around the house and miraculously have all the necessary ingredients for this dish.

Back