What are some odd or off the norm items you have smoked?

Christopher H

TVWBB Fan
I just had this thought. Trying to think of things that could benefit or be enhanced by a smoky flavor. In the fall/winter I like making a pizza pasta and then I thought, what if I made this similar to the mac and cheese, put it in an aluminum pan and smoke it?

I may try this sometime this fall and will post results.

Let's hear some off norm items you guys have smoked! I haven't gone far from the regular stuff yet.

Apple Pie. Bought a frozen Marie Calendar (spelling?) apple pie with crumb crust, and put it in the smoker with butter on top. Don't remember how long, but until "it looked right". Then served with vanilla ice cream Outstanding. Thinking of trying it with cheese and/or bacon.

I have a friend that wants to cook a whole pig head(or maybe a half)--has anyone done that?

42ebf411.jpg

Kugela, cabbage rolls, stuffed peppers, tuna & noodles, lasagna, mostacolli,,etc.
Anything you do in an oven can be done on a WSM, and the WSM adds that little sumpin that you wont get on the indoor appliance.:wsm:

Tim

Chicken enchiladas one time and a lasania the other. Both times having a dinner party and the power went out. WSM is an oven...actually better than an oven.

For a backyard competition I did Famous Dave's bread pudding. It was good with a little smoke taste. Thought the smoke taste grew stronger the longer it was in my fridge.

Nothing unusual, but I have done mac and cheese, baked beans, meatloaf and hot dogs in the smoker and the taste is great. I have found the only way to eat a hot dog now is from the smoker.

How was the duck? I am supposed to have some fresh duck in hand before winter.

Wild or farm-raised?

I have cooked farm-raised (store bought) duck on the kettle rotisserie a few times, and it has been really good. Add a little cherry wood for smoke.

I have not cooked a wild duck on the Weber, but they are night and day different meat than farm-raised duck. The farm duck has a thick layer of fat that has to be rendered out (aided by knife-prick holes in the skin). The wild duck has almost no fat and sometimes has a more mineral or gamey flavor. I've only had wild duck that was cooked in the oven sealed up in a moist environment.

Wild or farm-raised?

I have cooked farm-raised (store bought) duck on the kettle rotisserie a few times, and it has been really good. Add a little cherry wood for smoke.

I have not cooked a wild duck on the Weber, but they are night and day different meat than farm-raised duck. The farm duck has a thick layer of fat that has to be rendered out (aided by knife-prick holes in the skin). The wild duck has almost no fat and sometimes has a more mineral or gamey flavor. I've only had wild duck that was cooked in the oven sealed up in a moist environment.

I guess farm raised? Coming from my girlfriend's parent's coup.

Gardettos roasted garlic rye chips, that I like to put cheese spreads on. The smoke from apple or hickory adds an interesting twist to them.

Back