What’s going to stand the test of time?

That probably speaks to their value and usefulness as much as anything else.
That could also be because they're relatively inexpensive and when the novelty for many wears off and they've got a rusty, crusty contraption on their deck, they just carry it to the curb.

I feel bad for the poor OP on this one. Everyone that has chimed in thus far and doesn’t own a stand-alone griddle has called them a fad in some capacity. Those of us who actually own and use them feel strongly otherwise. And, of course, folks on both sides are all certain that the other side is missing the boat in their opinion somehow. Gotta love a good forum!

I don't think anyone is "missing" the boat. There will always be those dedicated few to this type of cooking. There will aways be ones like me who gave it a "go" by using a griddle on top of the grill just to get a "feel" for it. Me? It's more or less "meh". Take it or leave it. Then there will be those who buy one try to like it and let it fall by the wayside, sell it on FB or some other sale site.
But for those folks dedicated to that type of cooking, or who live in climates that lend themselves to simply "hitting the deck or patio" to whip up brunch or such. I am sure they're wonderful. But, (and I stand by this given by the number of them that show up cheap on FB, Craigslist, etc) with badly rusted cooking surfaces and priced as "giveaways".

I'll come to his rescue, lol: if griddles are a fad then so are smash burgers.

I've read this thread very loosely. I don't have a dedicated griddle but I have a plate for the Q3200 for small cooks and a larger attachment for the Camp Chef burner stove. I wouldn't want to be without them.

I'll come to his rescue, lol: if griddles are a fad then so are smash burgers.

I've read this thread very loosely. I don't have a dedicated griddle but I have a plate for the Q3200 for small cooks and a larger attachment for the Camp Chef burner stove. I wouldn't want to be without them.
Pretty much what I'm getting at. Occasionally (and I DO mean occasionally) I will enjoy a smash burger. But I truly prefer a grilled burger from either my Q, or the Wolf or even the pellet grills. But, for those times I want one or 2 smash burgers I don't see a need to buy another piece of equipment that takes up precious room. Also I just bought one of these. 13" diameter, solid stainless with copper core and weighs 14lbs. I think it will work perfectly on my Q320 and I think it will do everything I need out of a griddle. Was made by Cuisinart but not made anymore. IIRC it comes from Belgium
1712350891239.png

Pretty much what I'm getting at. Occasionally (and I DO mean occasionally) I will enjoy a smash burger. But I truly prefer a grilled burger from either my Q, or the Wolf or even the pellet grills. But, for those times I want one or 2 smash burgers I don't see a need to buy another piece of equipment that takes up precious room. Also I just bought one of these. 13" diameter, solid stainless with copper core and weighs 14lbs. I think it will work perfectly on my Q320 and I think it will do everything I need out of a griddle. Was made by Cuisinart but not made anymore. IIRC it comes from Belgium
View attachment 88872
The smash burger thing has a certain appeal for sure...the caramelized beef sizzling away in it's own grease.... somewhat unique for sure. However, it's better to have the option to allow the grease to go elsewhere...the very purpose of Weber's flavorizers. Not everyone is a fan of White Castle or 24/7, no Coke, Pepsi diner burgers.

This past week, I have had the (mis) fortune of walking into a Lowes for home improvement, and a brief trip into Walmart to see if they had some Spiceology rub (they did not). I was shocked to see the number of griddles on display. So my question is really, " in five years will griddles still be outnumbering BBQ's on the sales floor?"

The "fad" part of the question is really how long will the popularity last? Not, are they good cookers that have a place in anyone's yard. Or do they perform some really cool functions (they most certainly do).

Weber got into the game, which tells me they are betting we are on the early stages of griddles, however, as someone pointed out, Blackstone has been selling griddles for almost 20 years. What finally made Weber decide the griddles were in for the long haul? I think Weber got into the game a little late and at too high a price point, but we will see.

I think that pizza ovens are the true fad. let's face it, there's only so much pizza you can eat after the age of 30! And despite the cool designs, good pizza ovens are expensive and it is a true luxury item in many cases. It certainly does not mean that I wouldn't like one or, better yet, have a friend who had one! Kind of like a boat I guess...always better when someone else owns one!

They have been making smash burgers at dinners across the nation for probably at least 80 years. They were just called hamburgers.

Give it a new name, what was old is now new again.

If only I could figure out a new name to give to parachute pants.

What finally made Weber decide the griddles were in for the long haul? I think Weber got into the game a little late and at too high a price point, but we will see.
I suspect they saw gas grill sales declining as griddle sales were rising.

But that is just speculation on my part.

They have their place, right now that’s just not MY address, maybe end of season at “Blow out” pricing one might move in but, I just don’t “Need” one.

This past week, I have had the (mis) fortune of walking into a Lowes for home improvement, and a brief trip into Walmart to see if they had some Spiceology rub (they did not). I was shocked to see the number of griddles on display. So my question is really, " in five years will griddles still be outnumbering BBQ's on the sales floor?"

The "fad" part of the question is really how long will the popularity last? Not, are they good cookers that have a place in anyone's yard. Or do they perform some really cool functions (they most certainly do).

Weber got into the game, which tells me they are betting we are on the early stages of griddles, however, as someone pointed out, Blackstone has been selling griddles for almost 20 years. What finally made Weber decide the griddles were in for the long haul? I think Weber got into the game a little late and at too high a price point, but we will see.

I think that pizza ovens are the true fad. let's face it, there's only so much pizza you can eat after the age of 30! And despite the cool designs, good pizza ovens are expensive and it is a true luxury item in many cases. It certainly does not mean that I wouldn't like one or, better yet, have a friend who had one! Kind of like a boat I guess...always better when someone else owns one!
"what i said!"

My neighbor got a pizza oven last year --- sounds like that thing really sucks thru the propane to pre heat the oven to 900 - he says it takes like 20-30 minutes - just to cook a pizza in a minute and a half...... better be making more than one. I'm actually quite happy with a frozen pizza in the oven when I get the craving...... and they are on sale --- making my own dough and sauce and having all the toppings on hand -- just not my thing.

I think I would do a pizza oven before a griddle. However I would have to wait until my Wolf totally passed on to that big deck in the sky. Because with the IR burner on and lower burners going combined with my custom grates from Dave Santana, I have a VERY capable pizza machine

Heck Larry, I do take home pizza's in my Genesis with just a pizza pan and they come out great. Maybe you don't NEED the Wolf after all.

Again, Barb gets super deals on Safeways store brand Signature pizzas around $2.00 each, we always have a couple in the freezer. We only get the spinach and mushrooms and add our own toppings.
Haven't used the kettle pizza attachment on my performer in about 2+ years. Heat up a pizza stone in the E320 gasser and cook it on that or if the weather is lousy the house oven gets the call.
At 76 years old I doubt I could tell the difference between a wood fired pizza or our store bought.
So as my new motto is easy is good and good enough will have to do.

Heck Larry, I do take home pizza's in my Genesis with just a pizza pan and they come out great. Maybe you don't NEED the Wolf after all.
I don't have the Genesis. And I have not bought another. Plus in all honesty I am going to try pizzas in the pellet grill(s). Then they will definitely be "wood fired" :D
But in all honesty when the Wolf goes. I will not get another gas grill. I may go to a higher end pellet grill though. One reason I am watching the Searwood thread with so much interest. I could see one replacing one of my current pellet grills if conditions were right.

I was in my local Ace yesterday for a brief break from being housebound doing tax returns (and on the way to the Post Office to mail a large return). They had the new Weber Slate on display. While I still am not interested in owning one, I have to say that I was overall impressed with the design and build. I suppose the jury is out on whether the new griddle material really will be much more rust resistant over time, but at least Weber has taken on the number one reason I think so many used griddles pop up for sale around me.

My Ace still had a floor model of the first Weber griddle. In comparison, it looked a bit hastily cobbled together. The Slate, on the other hand, showed much better side shelves and evidence of creative thinking with regard to the removable condiment tote and storage. The Slate also looked a good bit more substantial to the competing Blackstone my Ace also had on display. Thicker griddle material for sure. A small Ace store with limited floor space for grills, but they have dedicated a good-sized chunk to griddles!:unsure:

I think the Slate looks like a true winner, but I have to admit at $749 one would have to at least look hard at the Members Mark griddle Larry showed for way, way less. But, if you have the money and want a really nice griddle, the Slate could well be your ticket!

Back