What’s going to stand the test of time?

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
I’m very closely watching the fandom of griddles, pellet grills, and pizza ovens. Especially griddles. They are everywhere this spring! Pizza ovens are also getting huge.

What does everyone think is a fad and what’s going to last? Will griddles replace a gas grill for many people?

I’m expecting a surge of griddles and pizza ovens on the secondary market in the next couple of years! Basing this solely on how popular they are, not if they are a a good cooker or not.

Last edited:
I think the griddle thing primarily will be more fad. Especially the large expensive single purpose ones. I'm thinking people will begin to realize you can simply add one to your regular grill, and not have to dedicate space to it. Pizza ovens as well. Pellet grills another story. I think once people realize as I did how wide ranging they are. Cheap to run and REALLY easy to maintain compared to gas grills and much easier to use I think their numbers will grow. But, I think some things need to take place by the grill mfgrs. First off they need to be made more weather resistant (or proof). Electronics not shielded enough, also they're too touchy to moisture. So unlike a typical gas grill that if it gets caught in a downpour during a cook no harm. Not so on pellet grills. If there is so much as a "hint" of rain I totally have to change my plans to not use it. (at least my deck one).
If those things get solved, pellet grills will REALLY take off even more than they have until now.

I have looked at griddles, trying to convince myself that I need one. i just can not justify it. I do not see myself getting up at the crack of dawn to go outside to fix breakfast on it. I have a nice stove in a warm house to do that. For the rare times I need it, I have a griddle that I can lay on my grill. I figure I would use the griddle about as often as I use the side burner. I think in a few years we will see a bunch of them for sale really cheap. Pretty much same for pizza oven. Too much space for occasional use.

I don't see any difference between cooking anything in a cast iron frying pan or cast iron stove top griddle...inside on your stove or outside on a gas, charcoal or pellet fired grill...and cooking on a dedicated, outdoor griddle. I think dedicated gas griddles are a fad mainly because they lack versatility. There's nothing I can cook on a griddle that I can't cook on a grill with a griddle or CI frying pan but there's plenty I wouldn't cook on a griddle that I would probably only cook on a grill...steaks, chicken, turkey, pizza, roasts, pork butt...
Not so sure about pizza ovens though. Sure you can make great pizzas with a minimal investment of a pizza steel or stone on any type of grill but it's a bigger learning curve than a dedicated pizza oven. Also, folks that dial in their pizza making skills rave about Oonis and Ooni clones.

I tend to think that griddles are a bit of a fad. I notice quite a few ones popping up on the resale market which leads me to believe that people tire of them quickly, especially the ones that are not maintained (pretty common as we all know) and quickly rust.

I put the modern Weber Crafted Kitchen set up in my 1998 Summit (thanks again for selling it to me, @LMichaels!) and have a griddle adequate for my limited use. When not using, I keep it seasoned in the original box stored inside the house. So, a lot less worries and the rest of the time I have a GRILL!

Crafted Kitchen with Griddle.jpeg

On the other hand, I also see a number of ads for gas and charcoal grills where the seller lists their reason for selling as "upgraded to a pellet grill."

Well, I have wondered about this as well. I have the Weber 3 burner (first gen) standalone griddle. I just recently got a new Genesis E-435 so was considering getting either the crafted griddle or the full size griddle insert for it to replace the standalone griddle, but there is one thing that keeps me from doing it. The grease trap system on the standalone. I know it sounds like a small thing, but the idea of the amount of grease I know goes down that thing having to go down into the smaller hole and all down the side of my new Genesis keeps me awake at night. lol.

The standalone is pretty amazing for burgers, large amounts of grilled veggies, and bacon. Those things alone are worth me keeping the standalone. Wife did a full package of bacon all at once this weekend, without the mess/smoke/smell it creates inside the house and it took me about 45 seconds to scrape, clean, and close up the griddle afterwards.

1712246192991.png

Are the best burgers in the world (Oklahoma Fried Onion burgers) and easy cleanup bacon worth the cost and space of a standalone? For me the answer is yes. But, I can see it not being something as valuable for others.

I am not sure that the griddle market is just a fad, Blackstone is the leader & they have been around since 2005. Weber has only recently gotten into that arena, there must be a market.

I believe Pellet grills are here to stay. Theres an element of convenience, not to mention people who previously would never consider gas or charcoal. They produce good output & for people who do not want to manage a fire there quite simple to control.

Pizza ovens & attachments are currently everywhere these days. Depending on the pizza style & temps certain pizza becomes a craft & a steeper learning curve. There will always be some demand, I question if that market has peaked already.

One of the nice things about being older is not having to worry too much about the relentless rapid daily changes that mostly go unnoticed.

In my opinion the future outlook for any and all types of charcoal, wood or gas outdoor cooking are not rosy.

Possibly electric grills, or some sort of direct solar might have a place.

Most likely not in my lifetime, but inevitable nonetheless.

Griddles are not a fad, you all ever been into a commercial kitchen? no way I will ever be without 1 of some size, gave my son my 36" Blackstone bought a 17" that makes more than enough for me and the wife. Waffle house would go out of business if they only had small griddles or pans lol.

One of the nice things about being older is not having to worry too much about the relentless rapid daily changes that mostly go unnoticed.

In my opinion the future outlook for any and all types of charcoal, wood or gas outdoor cooking are not rosy.

Possibly electric grills, or some sort of direct solar might have a place.

Most likely not in my lifetime, but inevitable nonetheless.

Not trying to get too political, but this is entirely dependent on where you live. I can see certain places prioritizing green over fire, but not anywhere I live or am from. lol. Just saying.

Not trying to get too political, but this is entirely dependent on where you live. I can see certain places prioritizing green over fire, but not anywhere I live or am from. lol. Just saying.
Yes I agree that areas where the population is more dense will likely change faster than rural areas.

But these areas also account for a larger percentage of new grill sales.

I tend to think that griddles are a bit of a fad. I notice quite a few ones popping up on the resale market which leads me to believe that people tire of them quickly, especially the ones that are not maintained (pretty common as we all know) and quickly rust.

I put the modern Weber Crafted Kitchen set up in my 1998 Summit (thanks again for selling it to me, @LMichaels!) and have a griddle adequate for my limited use. When not using, I keep it seasoned in the original box stored inside the house. So, a lot less worries and the rest of the time I have a GRILL!

View attachment 88841

On the other hand, I also see a number of ads for gas and charcoal grills where the seller lists their reason for selling as "upgraded to a pellet grill."
Yeah...I thought hazy IPA's were a fad so what do I know!:unsure:

Griddles have been around for too long to be a fad.
I have a set of GrillGrates on my Silver Genny B, with a couple of the panels turned upside down that serve as a griddle, but prefer the 22" Blackstone on the covered porch for strictly griddling. If I'm grilling and griddling for the same meal, then I'll use the Genny. If I'm solely griddling, I'll use the Blackstone.
I think that griddles are, somewhat, intimidating because of the learning curve, clean-up and care. Once you've used one a few times, they're easy to use and maintain.

Griddles are not a fad, you all ever been into a commercial kitchen? no way I will ever be without 1 of some size, gave my son my 36" Blackstone bought a 17" that makes more than enough for me and the wife. Waffle house would go out of business if they only had small griddles or pans lol.
But your backyard is not a commercial kitchen (at least mine isn't)

A griddle would be kind of fun, but not practical in my view. As posted above, a removable griddle for the gas grill would be nearly the same IMO. The removable griddle would be easier to clean and would not require a whole additional footprint on the deck or patio.

Heck I do bacon straight on my Q200 grates. I am thinking fried eggs are next. What do you guys think? :geek:

I been known to cook enough to feed 50-100 folks at some of the family gatherings, Having the equipment to cook fast lets me enjoy other things besides cooking. I smoked 18lbs of butts last nite for my wife's work. A small cook so used my Performer, smoked 6.5 hrs then paned and into the oven. Pulled at 10:15 and shredded and she left at 10;35 with it. I have a 5 finger shredder that you use with a drill, only takes a few minute to shred a butt. wish I had bought 1 20 years ago.

Well, I have wondered about this as well. I have the Weber 3 burner (first gen) standalone griddle. I just recently got a new Genesis E-435 so was considering getting either the crafted griddle or the full size griddle insert for it to replace the standalone griddle, but there is one thing that keeps me from doing it. The grease trap system on the standalone. I know it sounds like a small thing, but the idea of the amount of grease I know goes down that thing having to go down into the smaller hole and all down the side of my new Genesis keeps me awake at night. lol.

The standalone is pretty amazing for burgers, large amounts of grilled veggies, and bacon. Those things alone are worth me keeping the standalone. Wife did a full package of bacon all at once this weekend, without the mess/smoke/smell it creates inside the house and it took me about 45 seconds to scrape, clean, and close up the griddle afterwards.

View attachment 88842

Are the best burgers in the world (Oklahoma Fried Onion burgers) and easy cleanup bacon worth the cost and space of a standalone? For me the answer is yes. But, I can see it not being something as valuable for others.
Mike,
I think you are a user who gets the mileage out of a real griddle. Grease is an issue, and I suppose if I used my Crafted Kitchen insert a lot it might overload my Summit's grease tray if I wasn't careful. So by all means I think you have a good thing for your level of use. I just think that there are a lot of people who ride the latest thing and buy stuff like griddles only to discover that they aren't what they expected and thereby abandon them due to loss of interest or deterioration from neglect. I think those are what I am seeing popping up very regularly for resale.

I see a griddle having its place in the arsenal. Just not an immediate “run out and get one” for me. If the right deal happens, I might do it. But, I just don’t have a burning need for a griddle right this minute.

Back