Well My ThermoPro Failed Me

Yah, I would love an MK4 as well. I have the Thermoworks Smoke and love it to death. But the TP19H works perfectly good for me and was under $20.

If its any consolation, my Thermapen didn't last very long either. Just the opening and closing of the probe are evidently hazardous to it's longevity. Still on the original battery and just over 2 years, the screen goes on and off. Worse they are pretty strict about the warranty period and receipts. No joy here.

It would be one thing if they were very lenient on warranty and generous and at $100 a pop they should be. I find it amazing that you get top notch customer service, a pretty high quality product and a generous warranty all for under $30! Makes ya wonder

In my opinion it you value durability and quality above all you would pick a thermapen. If you value value for your buck you are going to pick a thermopro. I don't know for a fact but I suspect both are pretty equally accurate.

Personally even though they are less expensive I'm not interested in a thermopop. Just don't care for that older dated technology and design.

Thanks Larry. Good to know they stand behind their product. I have the same TP19 and have no issues yet. Also have a couple of the TO15 as well.

Given some folks stating that Thermoworks does NOT stand behind the product that well and early failures I have to question that, Though I am sure the TW is a fine product At $15 for an excellent product (I used it tonight and it IS excellent) I don't see another $70 or $80 being worth it

Given some folks stating that Thermoworks does NOT stand behind the product that well and early failures I have to question that, Though I am sure the TW is a fine product At $15 for an excellent product (I used it tonight and it IS excellent) I don't see another $70 or $80 being worth it
I'm not sure where early failures comes in I guess someone here may have had one but as far as I know that must have been very rare and I mean very rare. Who said they don't stand behind their product they are one of the few companys that actually has someone you can talk to live like Weber. Their products are top notch with a legedary reputation I get you don't see 70 to 80 bucks being worth it but many of us do.

Brian,
Like I said before, I have huge respect for Thermoworks. A great company with great products. I have never needed their warranty help so I can’t comment from experience on that. I can say the Smoke is a well built tool. I also have a cheap (not ThermoPro) knock off remote thermometer. It has worked fine the little I have used it, but when you compare it to the Smoke it is clearly not in the same league in terms of solid build or craftsmanship.

But the orange colored TP-19 that Larry just got and I have IS really nice. I wish you could be at our meet this June and bring your Thermapen so we could compare them side by side. However, me saying the ThermoPro thermometer is close to as good in no way takes away from the quality of the Thermapen. It is a little like looking at a Yeti tumbler but coming home with the Walmart Ozark (like I have). Not much difference, but if you get satisfaction out of having the real thing (the Yeti) enough to justify the much higher price, then who is to argue? But if I feel like I made a smart move and enjoy my Ozark who is to argue with that?

I'm not sure where early failures comes in I guess someone here may have had one but as far as I know that must have been very rare and I mean very rare. Who said they don't stand behind their product they are one of the few companys that actually has someone you can talk to live like Weber. Their products are top notch with a legedary reputation I get you don't see 70 to 80 bucks being worth it but many of us do.
Further up in the thread someone stated they had issues with one and the company.

Good analogy with the tumblers jon. I actually have both a yeti tumbler and an Ozark trail tumbler. The yeti was 40 bucks and the Ozark trail was 9. I use both and there is no difference in performance.

Never used a Yeti, but I don't like the lids on the Ozarks...otherwise just fine....Oh, and the rubber cushion on the bottom falls off after a dozen or so trips through the dishwasher.

Let me clarify something I am not saying they don't have failures actually that is how this thread got started for a different product but I did a ton of research on the MK4 before I bought it and I spoke with their tech support was trying to make a decision between the classic and the MK4 which is what I decided on. I am sorry the poster had a problem but its electronics it seems they exceeded the warranty period and if I understand they had no receipt so I take issue with statements like they don't back up their products and their customer service does not show them any love who does when the warranty is over and they have no receipt. My guess is if they bought it direct and had the reciept and it was not to far out of warranty they would have replaced it I really don't know. I doubt Weber would do anything different.

Thermoworks stopped selling on Amazon years ago they have a blog on why they did it which applies to Ebay also they only sell direct so not sure why the receipt would be a problem I bought mine direct the receipt is in my email no worries. They went direct to protect their brand and reputiation open boxes started showing up purchased thru other parties no receipts people having a bad experiences not to mention knock offs with a similar name people thinking they were buying a MK4 when they were not.

I did state that I get why you don't want to spend 70 or 80 bucks for the MK4 when this product will suit your needs for a lot less money I went with the MK4 because it gets used by my wife and myself at least 3 times a week had it for 3 years no issues and I wanted the best. No different then people who buy RC grates they wanted the best me my Quil grates for my Silver C and 1100 for my buddy are just fine at 60 bucks a pop I can buy 2 sets and have change left over for the price of RC grates.

Its your money spend it where you want to there is no right or wrong answer on these products if your happy.

I agree there is no right or wrong answer here. BUT I am kind of shocked the thermopen warranty is only 2 years. For a $100 product? That seems pretty chintzy.

And thermopro offers a 3 year warranty (if you register your product).

Never used a Yeti, but I don't like the lids on the Ozarks...otherwise just fine....Oh, and the rubber cushion on the bottom falls off after a dozen or so trips through the dishwasher.
Well I don't try to dishwash my Ozarks. I guess I am willing to accept that short-coming. As far as keeping things cold, I have seen YouTube videos of side by side comparisons done in my old haunt of hot Florida with no difference in ice melt-off. I certainly am not saying that if someone gifted me a Yeti I would complain. But I get a different kind of joy using an Ozark!

Let me clarify something I am not saying they don't have failures actually that is how this thread got started for a different product but I did a ton of research on the MK4 before I bought it and I spoke with their tech support was trying to make a decision between the classic and the MK4 which is what I decided on. I am sorry the poster had a problem but its electronics it seems they exceeded the warranty period and if I understand they had no receipt so I take issue with statements like they don't back up their products and their customer service does not show them any love who does when the warranty is over and they have no receipt. My guess is if they bought it direct and had the reciept and it was not to far out of warranty they would have replaced it I really don't know. I doubt Weber would do anything different.

Thermoworks stopped selling on Amazon years ago they have a blog on why they did it which applies to Ebay also they only sell direct so not sure why the receipt would be a problem I bought mine direct the receipt is in my email no worries. They went direct to protect their brand and reputiation open boxes started showing up purchased thru other parties no receipts people having a bad experiences not to mention knock offs with a similar name people thinking they were buying a MK4 when they were not.

I did state that I get why you don't want to spend 70 or 80 bucks for the MK4 when this product will suit your needs for a lot less money I went with the MK4 because it gets used by my wife and myself at least 3 times a week had it for 3 years no issues and I wanted the best. No different then people who buy RC grates they wanted the best me my Quil grates for my Silver C and 1100 for my buddy are just fine at 60 bucks a pop I can buy 2 sets and have change left over for the price of RC grates.

Its your money spend it where you want to there is no right or wrong answer on these products if your happy.
I was NOT the one who wrote it. I simply parroted the statement another poster made. Look a few posts back. And yes, I spent my $$$ where I felt it was best spent. Nothing more. Where they choose to sell is their own business. I really don't care either. I only shop online at just a few places. Amazon being prominent . Why? They're convenient. If Thermoworks did sell on Amazon I would likely still not buy one but that is my choice based on my perception of value to me

I was the one who said that MY ThermoPen purchased in Jan of 2013 died a few months after the warranty expired (~April 2015), and they would not replace or repair it FREE under the original warranty. I could get it to work sometimes if it wasn't fully opened and wiggled the probe, so clearly it was a contact issue. They did offer a minimal discount to buy a new one, which I declined. I purchased it DIRECTLY from ThermoWorks and called them DIRECTLY when I reported the issue. They did require me to provide the original order number from the RECEIPT to even engage the discussion, which I thought was a good sign, but in the end they said they would NOT cover it.

I opted to open the unit myself, seeing they wouldn't take it back, and it was easy enough to bend the contact legs so that it followed the traces a little better. It still works, but from time to time I do need to reopen it and tweak the contact legs a bit. Not sure if they've made improvements in this specific area over the last few years, but this is the issue I ran into.

Not sure why someone thinks I'm making this up? I never stated they did not honor the warranty or stand behind the product, so don't put words in my mouth. My issue was, I felt for such an expensive product, it should NOT have failed so quickly AFTER the warranty expired- easy fix or not.

Last edited:
Scott, you know the saying on this site: "Pictures, or it didn't happen".
No, but seriously, I see no reason to not believe you.

Here's a pic with the exposed screws. As you can see, this unit has not been abused at any point in it's life, and the fact is, it failed prematurely in my opinion. This is where 'opinions' meet real life experiences. I have no doubt some people haven't had any issues, and I suppose others have had worse experiences. I believe that ThermoWorks does the best they can, but the fact is, chit happens. In 2015 they did adhere strictly to the warranty period. EOD.

ThermoPen.jpg

Last edited:
<shrug> I'm still rockin' an original Mk. 1 Thermapen (that I got as a gift from my g/f some 15 years ago.) We can't kill it, in spite of our best efforts, getting dunked in dishwater, wrong battery, etc. It just keeps running, and doesn't seem to want to give me an excuse to get an Mk. 4.

Back