Well My ThermoPro Failed Me

I just bought this one 20% off coupon not sure how long they will have that so $25 bucks in change. This pretty well tracks the MK4 specs .07 accuracy the only thing that bothers me a bit is it requires 2 batteries the Mk4 one and I have had mine from Sept 2018 and the battery is still fine but after reading Rich's buying 2 assures my MK4 will last forever I figured what the heck. :)

I will do some testing against the Mk4 and report back probably gonna give this to my daughter after I am done with it so its not throwing money away. I would not give up my Mk4 and Thermapen has a program now where they will fix it for a flat fee of 35 bucks if anything goes wrong with it since my warranty is gone also. But never say never.

Larry you did not start a war I would also call it a lively discussion and Scott if I offended you I really apoligize.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CX7FP1R/?tag=tvwb-20

Brian thanks for the information on the thermapen post warranty repair program. That puts them on a more level playing field for me the next time I need to replace my instant thermometer. I'll be interested in your head to head comparison.

I guess I didn't look carefully enough. It seems that this new instant read thermometer for $29.99 (less possible discount) is NOT a ThermoPro but rather from a company called Smartro.

How important that is to you probably depends on what you think about imported electronics. I know ThermoPro does seem to give good support and has been selling for at least a few years. Don't know anything about Smartro. ThermoPro has a competing high-end product - the TP19X, but it is priced at $59.99 and doesn't seem to be available on Amazon at this point. That's twice the price and getting very close to an MK-4 when on a good sale. It does LOOK really cool, though. I like the style and anti-slip grip. But the Smatro one also looks sharp. The case looks so similar to my orange ThermoPro TP19H that it is pretty easy to believe they both are coming from the same factory.

Here's the high-end ThermoPro. If I needed a replacement, I would be willing to go a little higher for this than the Smartro, but not TWICE as high!

Yes correct you are its not a ThermoPro actually if you believe them the specs are better. .7 for accuracy I believe the others .9 its a 1-3 second read which if I remember is what my Mk4 is but lets not go crazy here whether you will notice the difference we will see. The ratings are off the planet like the ThermoPro 5 star on a 182 ratings it was your link I clicked to get to it. :)

Just cooked some chicken tested both the TP19 and TP19H side by side. Speed difference (if any) I could not tell. Both read faster than I could read their displays. and as for accuracy. In the same piece of chicken they were within .3 degree. So one is $14 more than the other. But honestly I cannot tell any performance difference

Damn I did not notice that either. They're sure trying to piggy back on the success of an excellent product. Imitation is flattery LOL
Thermopro also has a model that looks like it has all the bells and whistles for less than 12 bucks! Not sure how this differs from the 15.99 one that several of you already have? Looks like a bargain though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y51PCW7/?tag=tvwb-20
Greg, that does not have a rotating display like the other ones mentioned which for some is no big deal if your going cheap and don't care. They are also toting their calibration feature. A MK4 can be calibrated also but as per Thermapen This procedure describes the method of trimming the Thermapen Mk4 at a single temperature point (32°F/0°C) by using a properly made ice bath. The Thermapen should rarely need adjustment and should only be performed if absolutely necessary.

Thermopro also has a model that looks like it has all the bells and whistles for less than 12 bucks! Not sure how this differs from the 15.99 one that several of you already have? Looks like a bargain though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y51PCW7/?tag=tvwb-20
That model does not have the rotating display if you don't care about that the price is good but I am wary at something at that price point but that is me might work fine. They tout their calibration feature which in a Mk4 which can be calibrated also but per Thermapen: This procedure describes the method of trimming the Thermapen Mk4 at a single temperature point (32°F/0°C) by using a properly made ice bath. The Thermapen should rarely need adjustment and should only be performed if absolutely necessary.

Now do the Thermopro and the knockoff I just bought need to be calibrated more frequently really have no idea. 2 degrees off on my filet ain't gonna make much difference since I pull them off at 125 if it becomes 5 degrees over time that is a big difference to me.

Probably we need Larry and the others who have had theirs for awhile to check the calibration and see if they are still accurate again 2 degrees who cares.

I have been a Thermoworks fan for quite some time. My first Thermopen did give me some trouble. After the first year or so, it started having Intermittent operation. I had to wiggle the needle almost like pumping up an air rifle before getting a temp reading :ROFLMAO: . I finally got fed up with it (after a few years, because I have a high tolerance for pumping air rifles leftover from my childhood :giggle:), I called Thermoworks, spoke to a real person (in Utah) and asked if they could (or would) fix it... It was out of warranty, so I expected to pay for the repair. Thermoworks gave me an option to ship in the old one and pay $50 for a newer, upgraded version, so that's what I did. I thought it was fair. Since then, I've purchased several more of their products. (Thermo-Pops for gifts for some buddies, Smoke and Billows for me, and just bought their IR gun for my new griddle. My local bbq store has a lot of TW on the shelf, so I also like to buy products from them to support local....

It's also nice to hear there are some lower priced equivalent products out there. If my new Thermo-pen ever gives me any trouble, I might switch to the Thermo-Pro. I think that folding needle design is one of those features that's really nice for the end-user, but maybe it's difficult to manufacture in some way.

Yeah I saw that on their web site. Impressive product I think. But, really even the big orange is so fast and easy to read. As for how fast they can read. As you saw in my report from yesterday used side by side I could not tell any difference in performance or accuracy. Both the big orange and big red one did their jobs fast and to my eye perfectly accurate.

That model does not have the rotating display if you don't care about that the price is good but I am wary at something at that price point but that is me might work fine. They tout their calibration feature which in a Mk4 which can be calibrated also but per Thermapen: This procedure describes the method of trimming the Thermapen Mk4 at a single temperature point (32°F/0°C) by using a properly made ice bath. The Thermapen should rarely need adjustment and should only be performed if absolutely necessary.

Now do the Thermopro and the knockoff I just bought need to be calibrated more frequently really have no idea. 2 degrees off on my filet ain't gonna make much difference since I pull them off at 125 if it becomes 5 degrees over time that is a big difference to me.

Probably we need Larry and the others who have had theirs for awhile to check the calibration and see if they are still accurate again 2 degrees who cares.
That makes sense regarding the lack of a rotating display. That's a nice feature and worth an extra few bucks.

I've had my thermopro tp19 for a while now. I did test temp accuracy a short time ago (ice water test) and it was pretty spot on. But so was the 8 buck cheapo thermopro I've had for far longer that's now my backup.

Back