wednesday wing flop

Doug Selman

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife doesn't like chicken much, so since she was out of town last night, I tried some wings on the Mini. I marinated them overnight in Italian dressing, soy sauce, lime juice, and garlic. Fired the Mini with Kingsford comp and Pecan chunks. I was aiming for 300* + in the Mini but it never got over 260-265 with bottom and top vents wide open. Not sure if I didn't use enough lit coals (1/2 a chimney), or maybe not enough space between top of charcoal basket and pie pan diffuser on bottom of pot. Took about an hr. and 50 mins. for wings to reach 158*.

before sauce

sauced with Stubbs Original

threw some reds and Dutch Crust garlic bread on the Genny too

they weren't terrible, but definitely got oversmoked (a bit bitter) and rubber skin

Oh well, practice makes perfect. Next time, higher heat and less wood.
Advice/suggestions are definitely welcome. Thanks for takin a look

Last edited:
I've tried it maybe once. I smoked them at low heat and then fried. I need to try the high heat thing if for nothing else getting ready for thanksgiving.

Looks good from here! Next time,try throwing them on the Genny to crisp the skin before you sauce 'em. That's the ticket!

They look great to me...one thing I have been doing lately is running them with no pan between the fire and wings...give it a shot?

They look great to me...one thing I have been doing lately is running them with no pan between the fire and wings...give it a shot?

Same here, did that on my mini came out great! Used a small amount of soaked wood chips and the smoke flavor was there but very light.

I've done that on the 22.5 wsm with leg quarters and they turned out great. Just didn't get the temp up high enough this time. I have hit around 325* on the Mini before.

Rich, did you have any problem with flame up on the Mini? That's what I was concerned about without the diffuser.

The easiest and 100% consistent wing set up is, weber charcoal basket on each side, fill with lit coals, add 6-8 unlit coals on top of lit coals, lay wings skin side down the 1st 20 minutes then turn over skin side up for the remainder of cook. Total cook time 40-60 minutes depending on your kettle temp. Crispy juicy wings every time guaranteed.

Back