Weber Thermometer

MNunez

I can't believe that the thermometers that Weber uses are off by this much!!! Almost 80º off, that's crazy! I just purchased a new Weber 26.75", I'm trying it out for the first time to get the feel of it.

image_zpsgisp9isc.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Are both probes in the same location. Other wise your reading two different areas that can be at different temps.

Do an Ice Bath test as well as a Boiling Water test. Until you do, you can not assess the accuracy !

The only thing I use the dome thermometer for is to see if the grill has heat at all. Of course the grate temp will be different then the dome temp.

I checked mine and it was spot on. Of course that was years ago... it could be off now but I still use it. In fact, I rarely use the Mav or iGrill anymore. I simply set it up the grill or smoker the way I always do for a particular cook and glance at the thermo from time to time. When I figure cookin is close I start checking with a thermopen or skewer depending on the critter I am cooking.

Are both probes in the same location. Other wise your reading two different areas that can be at different temps.

Correctamundo. The dome thermometer only measures temperature at the dome. A probe at the grate is the only way to measure cooking temp. The big problem is that wind and other factors can swing the dome temp wildly. (My WSM dome themometer typically under-reports the temp.) It is unfortunately of limited use as a cooking aid.

Yes, both probes should be side by side to accurately say it's off by 80'...
And if you're not baking a cake, does it matter 10 degrees one way or another?
i don't think so.

Thanks for the input guys! I did have the the probe on the grate, I will do the ice and boiling water test, I'm pretty sure it will be off but not by much.

Back