Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and Summit Charcoal Grilling Center - New for 2016

Anthony, did you try to roll one out the door while they weren't looking?

I'm glad you posted, I'll check with my local dealer (almost stopped by to see it yesterday, but ran out of time) to see if they will have a demo.

I know everyone's taste is different, but (to me) the ignition box on the side of the non table version is such an eyesore.

Yeah.. I kind of figured that...but still... how would you use a rotisserie with this grill. I love mine as much as I love my grill.
For that much money and not to be able to rotisserie things.... I think I'll Pass.

My%20Collection%20.jpg

Rotisserie.jpg

The kamado mate is kind of cool.... I hope weber comes out with something like that for this one...but still... I love what I have now...and I like having money and not giving it way. You get the picture.

Last edited:
SS Grates are fantastic... but when it gets here to Europe it will have the cheap Chrome plated grates and it will cost even more.

They did the same thing with my Master Touch GBS from 2015... Chrome grates and we don't even get the warming rack.

Saw my first SCG and SCGC at Barbeques Galore in Palo Alto today. Very impressed with the design and construction of the grill itself, the heft of the grates / heat deflector / lid assembly, the ease of changing the propane bottle. On the Grilling Center, I see the criticism of the charcoal storage not being hinged and how movement on/off the storage shelf just scratches the surface terribly...the one on the floor was already messed up. The stainless work surface looked nice, not sure if it's the same or lighter gauge metal as my 2002 Summit 450 gas grill.

One oddity I noticed that's only of interest to oddballs like me: They've serialized these grills differently than other charcoal grills. They're using the alphanumeric serial number scheme of two characters + seven numbers, but they're using the old date key "AUTHORIZED" instead of the more recent date key "CONSUMABLE" introduced in 2013. Under the old scheme, the date code is "AR" for 16 as in 2016...under the new scheme, the date code would be "CM" for 16 as in 2016. Not sure why they did this.

IMG_68251_zpsomxzgx9x.jpg

I was able to see a summit at my local Ace hardware in Richardson, TX. They had the model with the table. It seemed nice, hefty and solid. The walls of the cooker were really thick compared to standard kettle. The charcoal grate had extra thick bars compared to a normal charcoal grate. So in order to look at everything I had to take out the grate, take off that heat deflector deal then get to the charcoal grate. I know the flaps of the diffuser lift up to add coals mid cook but if you ever wanted to take that thing out during a cook (reverse sear) It would be difficult. Also if you have hot coals going on the charcoal grate in the lower spot and you wanted to raise the charcoal mid cook you couldn't. Pro to the old fashioned two zone cooking on weber kettle. Over all it was a nice cooker. I am not in the thousand plus dollar charocal grill market but looked good.

found this vid on another bbq site... maybe you've seen this, maybe not.
the guy sounds like, to me, he's bad mouthing Weber.... well.... listen.

This guy did an efficiency test and used three chimney's of KBB (which filled the charcoal ring full) and it is going on 44 hours and counting as we speak at 225. Very impressive. Said it was about 3/4 of a bag so guessing about 13.5 pounds out of an 18 pound bag.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/27882-weber-summit-efficiency-testwell-sort-of/

found this vid on another bbq site... maybe you've seen this, maybe not.
the guy sounds like, to me, he's bad mouthing Weber.... well.... listen.

Same guy in both vids. He's a member over at the BBQ Brethren.

I didn't think he was bad mouthing Weber at all.

Back