Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and Summit Charcoal Grilling Center - New for 2016

I really trust Weber that this is an outstanding grill and it performs and delivers like they say after all of their testing, but there is just no way it's worth more than a $1000 for me.

As you can see from my signature, I have $5K+ in outdoor cooking equipment. I'm not in the demographic for this grill. I use my chimney to start coals. My Performer doesn't have gas start. I don't see the need. I'd like to see them make a "Genesis" model without it to knock down the price a bit. For me and the equipment I already own, the only advantage it has is size.

I'm with Peter K. I really like the idea and concept of this grill, the stuff they packed into it. I think it is a solid option to consider instead of a ceramic. But, I do not see the value in the current product where it is priced. Gas assisted lighting is another point of failure that I'd rather not deal with, as well as something I don't use. The other features are great, and I would love to see some of these things (the great looking tripod stand, top vent and 2 level charcoal grate among them) trickle down to the 26 and 22MT. I'd like to see a Genesis and Spirit "trim level" eventually for this setup. I'd definitely consider one if it were in the $600-$900 range for the kettle and tripod stand.

I also recognize and acknowledge that I am not the target demo Weber is after with this product. I don't have a problem with what they're trying to do at all, I see the play they're making. I just hope they extend this product (eventually) to the lower tier lines in another year or two.

I'd like to see a Genesis and Spirit "trim level" eventually for this setup.
One of the details I missed when the WSM was refreshed in 2008 was the model number. The 18.5" was 721001 and the 22.5" was 731001. No one ever asked, "Where is the 711001?" It came out 5 years later as the 14.5" WSM.

The Summit Charcoal Grill is 18301001 and the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center is 18501001. Will there someday be a 18101001?

I believe Weber took some real serious time to put together this package, i like the dual usage cooking setup, the good use of space and storage, cooking height, and still kept in a easy to move around package that can still fit on most decks,or patios.
I am also with Chris that more models of different price ranges options and colors will be in the future, Weber is here to sell new units and make money so they need to spread them out for greater effect.

I a few years when things settle down i could see myself owning one of these.

I would like to thank Mike Lang for his input also as he mentions is dual cooking abilities,easy use,or operation. Transport on the deck surface is improved by the big wheels.
All good points, I just need to win the Lotto( Of course you must first play to be able to win).

Well, today after almost 8 hours of Weber Ambassador program certification in almost all the Weber produts, we saw a lot of information about the new simmit charcoal, Our Weber Grill Master teacher has one and honestly, this product is amazing, i know.... hard to justify the price, you need to study all the parts involved on this product to understand a lot of things that maybe will gibe you an idea of how it works and how is built.

At $1,500 to $2,000 there are a lot of options. Between my brother and I we each own, 18, 22, Mini WSMs, Ugly Drums, all the kettle sizes from Smokey Joes to Ranch Kettles, and Performers. Like many on this site, I started on Webers and have enjoyed using them over the years. They do have weak points though and I was hoping the Grill of a Lifetime addressed these issues My pet peeves are the ash and grease clean up, replenishing coals, and the one touch clean out wings. The clean out wings on the One Touch are notorious for being stuck from grease and they eventually corrode. That is why many hardware stores sell replacement clean out wings.

Additionally the round design does not maximize food lay out. Most meats are not round but rectangular. A horizontal design like a gasser has less wasted space vs round and is easier to tend to meats vs a double rack vertical (WSM). I was hoping for a horizontal design lie a gasser which also addressed the current issues I have had with Weber kettles and WSMs.

Add the lack of a drip pan to the Summit Grill issue list. I know one can add a small rectangular foil pan as in the photos but it does not cover the bottom very good like a WSM would. Some grease will make it’s way to the coals and/or bottom. At best the clean out wings will get gummed up and at worst a possible grease fire.

To upgrade the stock for completions, vending and caterings, my brother did a lot of research around this price point and above. He went with two Meadow Creeks (PR 60 and BBQ 42) which I really like especially the pull out drawer for coals and the grease diverter pan which drips into a bucket. The BBQ42 chicken flipper makes it very easy to turn 30 to 40 lbs of chicken in a few seconds.

I was hoping to replace one or two of my current stock (Performer, 22 WSM, and/or Ranch Kettle) and replace with the Summit Grill. But now after seeing the photos, prices, and write ups, I will probably select the Meadow Creek PR 36 or PR 42. The 36 with a 2nd rack has comparable cooking space to a Ranch Kettle.

I currently have a smaller version of the Summit Grill. It’s simply a Performer with a Rotisserie Ring. The Rotisserie Ring gets me more depth so that I can add a basket of coals and a diverter/drip pan below for long smokes or use the Rotisserie Ring for its intended purpose.

Searing steaks …. just add a 2nd coal grate and spacers to raise the coals or use a 18 inch food grill to get the food grill lower and pizza lovers can still add a Kettle Pizza with a Performer.

Some thoughts:

- $2K for the Summit Grilling Center is too much (although I told my wife about it and received pre-approval).
- If I did find $2K on the street and purchased it, it would become my go to smoker for small items (I would still use the WSM for larger cooks). I don't know if it would replace my kettle for grilling.
- While the propane lighter seems fun at first, I wonder how often replacement propane would be needed and how much said propane would cost.

It does look nice, though.

Some thoughts:

- $2K for the Summit Grilling Center is too much (although I told my wife about it and received pre-approval).
- If I did find $2K on the street and purchased it, it would become my go to smoker for small items (I would still use the WSM for larger cooks). I don't know if it would replace my kettle for grilling.
- While the propane lighter seems fun at first, I wonder how often replacement propane would be needed and how much said propane would cost.

I've got a performer with gas assist. I don't use it. A weed burner is by far the best way to light up charcoal grills. 2 minutes and you are ready to go. None of this 15 minute crap.

Some thoughts:

I have two gas assist performers and I have attached 20# tanks to them. One is going on over two years and is used a lot on one tank of gas. The tank costs under $8 to fill at Costco. For under $4 a year well worth it.

Some thoughts:

The unit has a 10,000 BTU burner, propane is 21,600 BTU/lb. That's really close to 13 - 10 minute lights per pound. A buck a pound / 13 lights is 7.6 cents per light.

If you use 1lb disposable tanks at 5 bucks a pound it works out to 38 cents per light

The unit has a 10,000 BTU burner, propane is 21,600 BTU/lb. That's really close to 13 - 10 minute lights per pound. A buck a pound / 13 lights is 7.6 cents per light.

If you use 1lb disposable tanks at 5 bucks a pound it works out to 38 cents per light

That's why I went to the 20# tanks. I only run the burner for 5 minuets, any longer really doesn't seem to make it get up to speed much faster.

Here's a proper unboxing and assembly video of the Weber Summit Charcoal where you can see it side by side to the Komodo Kamado .

watch minute 6:42, funny. I hate that!

I think I'd happily pay $899-$999 for a basic Charcoal Summit with the simple tripod stand and no gas ignition. I think the ignition hung on the side is an eyesore. It'd be sweet without it.

I went to Strosniders Hardware today, one of the few places selling the WSC in Maryland, to look (drool) at it in person.

First of all, I now understand why Weber has limited the number of retailers. It is obvious Weber put some time into training the staff where the cookers are sold. I can't imagine the work that would have to be put in to train at all Home Depots for example.

In talking to the staff member (who is an owner of a Green Egg), the belief is they will sell more grills then grilling centers (although the first one they sold was a center).

They will have a Weber rep there May 1 fpr a public event.

Back