Weber Summit B4 Restoration

Yah, but I know people that do fine jobs with HF welders. I just waited until I found a good deal on a used one.
Anyway, you never needed a welder, but I imagine you could have used one many times over the past ten years. You just never considered it, because it didn't enter your mind.

Well in all honesty this is the first time I've ever needed a welder...

But *you* have a nice Lincoln and not a cheapo harbor-freight ;)
That's a big difference, most likely the harbor freight biggest weakness is it's duty cycle. That allows it to use lighter and less agressive wiring and components, that can't take more than very short runtimes without causing to much internal heat.

But Make no mistake running intershield on sheet metal just compounds the difficulty for a novice. Then trying to weld Stainless with mild steel wire would create a nightmare for a journeyman welder, and yield useless welds for anything but light glue jobs. Stainless steel needs Stainless wire and rods, just as cast Iron needs nickel rod.

A decent machine, the right wire, or rod, and the correct polarity, with a machine that will allow that, the easier it is. I've had buddies that are not welders bring stuff over and watch me fix there projects, then let them try it on my Lincoln or Miller, and tell how much easier it was on my machine than the no name welder they have like Harbor Freight or Campbell Hausfeld, Century, etc.

Like anything when you use a quality tool the job is always easier, even small task, that's also why professionals always spend the cash for the best tools for any job,,, kinda like cooking with a $200.00 Wallmart grill, or a Weber Genesis or similar quality grill. It can be done, but even a experienced outdoor cook will have to work harder to get decent results, where a quality machine he will make it look easy and turn out masterpiece after masterpiece!

That old metaphor, expect what you pay for comes to mind! (y)

Yah, Good points. But I have several cheapo HF tools as well as some of the more expensive stuff. For what I use the $10 HF angle grinder for, it works great. I don't need a milwaukee $200 grinder. It might be a little nicer to use, but both get the job done that I need them too just fine.
If you can afford a $1000 MIG setup, great for the 4 or 5 times you might use it a year. But, most DIY guys have budgets make that overkill.

Like anything when you use a quality tool the job is always easier, even small task, that's also why professionals always spend the cash for the best tools for any job,,, kinda like cooking with a $200.00 Wallmart grill, or a Weber Genesis or similar quality grill. It can be done, but even a experienced outdoor cook will have to work harder to get decent results, where a quality machine he will make it look easy and turn out masterpiece after masterpiece!

That old metaphor, expect what you pay for comes to mind! (y)
Exactly this... which is why I put together this 20 year old Summit grill rather than spend the $600 or whatever it's now cost me on some new more mediocre grill that's made of cheaper metals, cheaper parts, and with less thought put into it.

Not surprised people on a Weber bulletin board appreciate quality xD

But what Bruce says is also right. For around the house doing ****ty emergency welds... it's not like the ****ty HF welder is completely pointless.

Welding is a lot of fun though, damn.

Yah, Good points. But I have several cheapo HF tools as well as some of the more expensive stuff. For what I use the $10 HF angle grinder for, it works great. I don't need a milwaukee $200 grinder. It might be a little nicer to use, but both get the job done that I need them too just fine.
If you can afford a $1000 MIG setup, great for the 4 or 5 times you might use it a year. But, most DIY guys have budgets make that overkill.
Guys for novice work or short periods of light use you have a point. But my Milwaukee and DeWalt grinders both 4" and 8" will eat all day long, the 4" Milwauke is over 20 years old, on its second cord and needs replaced again. But still eats steel and cuts up to 1/4" with cut off wheels all the time.

I got an idea in my head that a Harbor Frieght 4" angle grinder would be convenient setup just for cutoff wheels, had the first one replaced the same week I bought it to cut some 3/32" aluminum plate for a deck on my johnboat. The replacement started smelling like burnt wiring the second or third time I used it. Gave it to my neighbor and why I have the DeWalt now to go with my Milwaukee.

My experiance has proven to me, pay once and your covered for life, even if you need to use them like there supposed to be used once in a while when you usually don't need real performance. Nothing worse than starting a project, and having to go get a tool you already have.

Just like the same reason your grill is worth restoring. It will be dependable, and outperform as well as outlast the cheap ones you could buy for less than its going to cost to restore it. In the long run, it's our cheapest option to pay once, there are no tears later!

Honestly it kind of depends. I love quality tools especially those I use a lot. But, there is a time and place for the Hazard Fraught tool(s) as well. And quite honestly some of them are getting a little on the "spendy" but very high quality side. But example at someone's suggestion (Bruce's IIRC) I bought a HF angle grinder about IDK, 7 years ago. It does everything I need one to do and on the day I bought it was like $9.95. Would a Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc be a better longer lasting tool? You bet! Do I need to spend 10X more for a tool I might use 2X or 3X a year? Nope. Then it's not a tool it's a "status symbol". Same thing when I built my deck about 5 or 6 years ago. My buddy from UK was doing most of it and showing me the way. First thing he asked was if I had a miter (or whatever those saws are that cut on angles and slide back and forth and all that).. Well I am no carpenter. So I said I have an old circular saw, maybe one half good blade and my grandpa's old hand saw. So it was off to Hazard Fraught. and I was able to buy a sliding compound miter saw for IIRC $50. Got a couple of good quality blades and it did the job just fine. Still have it. My buddy worked it hard. But it worked and did what was needed. It has since been used MAYBE 3X. Again, would a high quality tool had been more pleasant to use? Of course. But it would be a dust collector in my basement just like the HF one is.
There is a time and place for high end. As an old mechanic I get that. But the el cheapo tool has it's place in my shop as well. Just see no reason to break the bank on a tool for one or two jobs and then it's just "put away".
Same thing when I did the restore on my Kubota diesel tractor. The $29 HF gravity spray gun did a fine job of shooting the new enamel finish for me. I'm not a pro. So I did not need some $200 or higher gun. It did a fine job. Heck a number of years ago, my daughter managed to crack 2 plastic body panels on a Saturn SL she had (the old plastic fantastic Tupperware cars). I found a used 1/4 panel and rear door skin and shot them with new metallic silver blue base/clear coat with a little "touch up" gun suction feed no less and unless you looked REALLY close, you would never know. Why? Because the quality of the paint was actually more important than the spray gun. So I used Sikkens Automotive finishes on it. Base/Clear same little $10 gun. Laid it down nice as you please.

Honestly it kind of depends. I love quality tools especially those I use a lot. But, there is a time and place for the Hazard Fraught tool(s) as well. And quite honestly some of them are getting a little on the "spendy" but very high quality side. But example at someone's suggestion (Bruce's IIRC) I bought a HF angle grinder about IDK, 7 years ago. It does everything I need one to do and on the day I bought it was like $9.95. Would a Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc be a better longer lasting tool? You bet! Do I need to spend 10X more for a tool I might use 2X or 3X a year? Nope. Then it's not a tool it's a "status symbol". Same thing when I built my deck about 5 or 6 years ago. My buddy from UK was doing most of it and showing me the way. First thing he asked was if I had a miter (or whatever those saws are that cut on angles and slide back and forth and all that).. Well I am no carpenter. So I said I have an old circular saw, maybe one half good blade and my grandpa's old hand saw. So it was off to Hazard Fraught. and I was able to buy a sliding compound miter saw for IIRC $50. Got a couple of good quality blades and it did the job just fine. Still have it. My buddy worked it hard. But it worked and did what was needed. It has since been used MAYBE 3X. Again, would a high quality tool had been more pleasant to use? Of course. But it would be a dust collector in my basement just like the HF one is.
There is a time and place for high end. As an old mechanic I get that. But the el cheapo tool has it's place in my shop as well. Just see no reason to break the bank on a tool for one or two jobs and then it's just "put away".
Same thing when I did the restore on my Kubota diesel tractor. The $29 HF gravity spray gun did a fine job of shooting the new enamel finish for me. I'm not a pro. So I did not need some $200 or higher gun. It did a fine job. Heck a number of years ago, my daughter managed to crack 2 plastic body panels on a Saturn SL she had (the old plastic fantastic Tupperware cars). I found a used 1/4 panel and rear door skin and shot them with new metallic silver blue base/clear coat with a little "touch up" gun suction feed no less and unless you looked REALLY close, you would never know. Why? Because the quality of the paint was actually more important than the spray gun. So I used Sikkens Automotive finishes on it. Base/Clear same little $10 gun. Laid it down nice as you please.
Perfect description of the balancing act. I know that coming from a CPA tool using wannabe that doesn't mean much. Still, even I can tell the difference and totally agree that "difference" is worth it for frequently used things but not for dust collecting occasional use tools. I laughed at your comment about your miter saw acquisition, as I have a well-off friend who years ago bought the finest laser guided, all out Dewalt miter saw for work he was going to do on his own house. I believe ultimately farmed that out. He did use it to cut a decorative piece for me once, but I am willing to bet that he has never touched it since. He should have used your strategy. I guess a trophy in his garage is worth it to him:sneaky:!

I will add that I also agree with your comment that some of the newer, higher-grade tools introduced by HF under their GOOD/BETTER/BEST program (maybe CHEAP JUNK/PASSABLE/DECENT would be better?!!) are not as low-priced, but I do think they are also a LOT better. For a rank amateur like me, their better tools - certainly including their newest high-end ICON line wind up being a status symbol - as well as enjoyable to use. But even some of their Doyle version of hand tools I find to be far superior to their old Pittsburgh low-price items. I am sure Snap-On or Mac makes somewhat better, but I personally doubt THAT much $$$ better. I play the HF coupon/sale/membership game and have gotten most of my HF hand tools at pretty much bargain prices.

Doyle Pliers.jpegDoyle Water Pump Pliers.jpeg

I would also say that some HF tools, such as a cheap "Chicago" cut-off tool I have work a lot better with higher quality replaceables. Milwaukee cut-off wheels made my Chicago a much better tool.

Last comment is that while shopping HF for "occasional use" tools, it is well worth also scouting FBM and CL for sell-offs of used but still very nice tools as an alternative. I saw a Delta compound miter saw for $50. I guess Delta is an old-line brand and doesn't get the excited interest that the flashier brands do. In any event, the "seller" GAVE it to me! No laser guides, but a well preserved, totally intact miter saw that does all I will ever need. I just downloaded a manual and bought a new blade.

Don't get me wrong guys, I have some of those hazards freight tools myself! But I know from experiance the ones I do have are for like is being said, crap I need but will use very seldom, some ONCE.

But I know from experiance as well, if I bought better tools, for the same jobs, I would harvest better results!

I have an airless sprayer, it was messier using it on my deck, but for 20 bucks I bought it for one reason, paint a tool shed, now it made one other job and became a throw away when the 3 decks were done. I found it not worthy of that large and flat of surface, my buddies Wagner was much more even.

I found this out years ago with cheap paint, and cheap brushes, good paint made for less coats, and going from cheap paint brushes to expensive ones made me look a lot better of a painter than I am!

I understd the what you can afford as well as anyone, forced to retire on a 22 year pension after a 42' fall landed me on my head and right shoulder in 1991! I learned real quick it was a lot cheaper to save and wait to buy quality, as I couldn't afford to buy over and over never getting ahead on my small fixed income.

Like Sam-TX said, I've found it profitable in most cases, but like high end custom guns, (I'm a competative target shooter), as well as Buying used bikes, Only Harleys, and yes too enen tools, use em a while, and when your ready to move them, we'll I usually expect what, or more than I paid..

But trust me, a welder or a tourch outfit, can really handicap even a professional, let alone someone wanting to see if they can do it.

But I have plenty of get me by tools for the same reason you guys do, at least I can Coble something up if I have to, rather than than spend big bucks for something I may never use again, or like like usually at least not soon enough to remember where the heck I put it the last time I did need it?????

I have a couple Knipex pliers and agree they are excellent. I am very happy, though, with my HF knock-off of their Cobra pliers. They have done great for me and are an excellent value. I have watched comparison videos where they performed just about as well.

Oh yeah I peruse FB Marketplace or CL first when I know I will be needing tool(s). It's how I got some of my prized Bosch and DeWalt battery power tools. Sadly I am sure (because many were brand new) they fell off a truck somewhere, but I have no way to prove/disprove that so I now possess them. IDK make me a bad guy? Hey they will end up somewhere. Or I will watch for a closeout at Menards, Amazon what have you, or look at distributors who sell customer returns that are still unable to tell from new. Bottom line quality is not lost on me. But over spending for a tool I MIGHT use 2 or 3 times? Nah not this kid. And like with that miter (or whatever it's called) saw. It was a "need now" purchase. My pal was just totally non plussed I did not own one already. In his UK accent "how could you own a home and live without one?" MEH, I got by for many years. And now it sits in the basement gathering dust. The only "project" I used it on was when my grandson wanted his bed "elevated" in our middle bedroom so his desk and chair could be underneath. I devised a little plan with lag screwing 2x4s to the wall and then cutting PVC pipes to length, and placing caps on the end, lifting the bed onto the PVC then bolting the frames I made to the wall bracing. Won't come down in an earthquake :D I did that maybe 7 or 8 years ago. LAst time the thing was touched. Hell buying it from HF was cheaper than renting one, and even my friend (who is a serious craftsmen) proclaimed it an excellent buy. During the deck build he used the living daylights out of it.
So, I watch my pennies and spend (or splurge) when necessary.

I just affixed my rotisserie motor mount to the Summit B4, but I'm pretty sure my rotisserie bar (spit rod?) won't fit and thus I need a replacement.
I read somewhere these are pretty standardized, but when searching amazon I don't see a wealth of options, nor do I see any that are convincingly good?

I know for grates there are extensive discussions, but what about rotisserie bars?

Yeah, and it really sours the value proposition.... Apparently shipping becomes prohibitively expensive if they come pre-assembled. Weber OEM bars are $300. I spent all day running around getting the welding equipment (hood, wire, I had a ****ty harbor freight welder someone gave me b/c it was so ****ty), and then sweated getting everything aligned right. It was good getting my feet wet, but I'd recommend the Weber OEM bars to anyone else. It was a lot of work, not worth the expense and time given the $180 savings vs OEM.
Say what? I have the same summit. Genuine weber flavorizer bars were $115 AUD. That's roughly $76 American dollars.

Do I need to buy stuff and ship it to you guys lol?

This reminds me of the time I bought ACL bearings for my engine from America cheaper than they were in Australia, and they are made in Australia.

Back