Weber Summit B4 Restoration

Couple of updates, progressively less exciting:

I sold my old Weber Spirit along with its rotisserie. I was going to keep the old mount and motor, but figured it's stupid to separate them. Rostisseries aren't that expensive, the weber OEM motor isn't that good, and the rod wouldn't fit the Summit B4 either. The buyer got a good deal, but it was Christmas and I felt generous.

Now I'm looking at getting a new rotisserie, for which I'm already in touch with onegrill.com

The new propane manifold is nice, the burners light reliably and cleanly. I will say, the grill takes quite a long time to get hot, and I find myself often cooking with the burners on high with the new propane manifold.

Couple of updates, progressively less exciting:

I sold my old Weber Spirit along with its rotisserie. I was going to keep the old mount and motor, but figured it's stupid to separate them. Rostisseries aren't that expensive, the weber OEM motor isn't that good, and the rod wouldn't fit the Summit B4 either. The buyer got a good deal, but it was Christmas and I felt generous.

Now I'm looking at getting a new rotisserie, for which I'm already in touch with onegrill.com

The new propane manifold is nice, the burners light reliably and cleanly. I will say, the grill takes quite a long time to get hot, and I find myself often cooking with the burners on high with the new propane manifold.
If the B4 is the 4 burner 2nd gen Summit without the IR rotisserie burner, gotta say don't bother. Brother has a 4 burner like that, against my advice he bought rotisserie for it. And after he tried a few times with little to no success (complaining to me about how poorly it works) it sits rusting away unused. I think he may have actually tossed it in the trash but not sure.
Those grills just don't "spin" food very well. Was very disillusioned with my original 4 burner 1st generation Summit. After trying it a couple times I took the add down that I had to try and sell my old Genesis 2 And ended up keeping it for spinning food

If the B4 is the 4 burner 2nd gen Summit without the IR rotisserie burner, gotta say don't bother. Brother has a 4 burner like that, against my advice he bought rotisserie for it. And after he tried a few times with little to no success (complaining to me about how poorly it works) it sits rusting away unused. I think he may have actually tossed it in the trash but not sure.
Those grills just don't "spin" food very well. Was very disillusioned with my original 4 burner 1st generation Summit. After trying it a couple times I took the add down that I had to try and sell my old Genesis 2 And ended up keeping it for spinning food
Really?! What makes it not rotisserie well?? Do the burners not get hot enough? I don't have the dedicated rotisserie burner, but why would it not rotisserie well? Too big?

Really?! What makes it not rotisserie well?? Do the burners not get hot enough? I don't have the dedicated rotisserie burner, but why would it not rotisserie well? Too big?
It's the orientation. WHen I bought mine the plan was I would take the rotisserie off my old Genesis 2, because the guy in the place said they used the same bracket and everything. Gave it a go. Totally disappointed. Nothing I could do would get me quality rotisserie like my old Genesis out out. It is why I kept my Genesis. The original plan was to sell it. Until I saw how badly the Summit was for it. It's why I kept a Genesis all these years. Burners running front to back are not oriented properly for good performance.

Damn you have the rotisserie burner AND the smoker?!

I didn't think I'd need the rotisserie burner (apparently I do??), and having a wood chip smoker would also be fantastic, although I can get away without it using trickery. Damn nice setup.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much the proper burner(s) and design make. Oh, you can do it, but don't look for the results you're hoping for. Could be you are like my brother, buy one, try it a few times and give up, or like me and hang on to a proper Genesis for all it's worth

My Summit Platinum C4 does a good job with the rotisserie. I have never compaired it to another grill though. I've had my Summit for 17 years. I love it.

Damn you have the rotisserie burner AND the smoker?!

I didn't think I'd need the rotisserie burner (apparently I do??), and having a wood chip smoker would also be fantastic, although I can get away without it using trickery. Damn nice setup.
I really like it. Best part is my total investment being about $200. Warranty cookbox and lid. I replaced the IR burner and it's plumbing and painted the frame. Works amazing, and I frequently have a need for the space. If I don't need that much room I have smaller grills I can fire up. I'm pretty well equipped 😁

Uh. you have the rotisserie burner. OP does not. His is just a plain 4 burner. Been there done that with mine (which arguably that 1st gen Summit was the best of the Summit) save for no IR rotisserie burner option
Fair point, never tried rotisserie on my 420. No ir burner on that one

I really like it. Best part is my total investment being about $200. Warranty cookbox and lid. I replaced the IR burner and it's plumbing and painted the frame. Works amazing, and I frequently have a need for the space. If I don't need that much room I have smaller grills I can fire up. I'm pretty well equipped 😁
Wow. When did you do that restoration? Weber couldn't warranty my cookbox and the lid they sent is different from the original *fumes*

Back